Windows 10: Excel Gurus - Import data from the web with continuous update

Discus and support Excel Gurus - Import data from the web with continuous update in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hi folks anybody know an easy way to get data (in particular Stock data) from the internet, insert into a spreadsheet and continuously (or every so... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by jimbo45, Feb 2, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Excel Gurus - Import data from the web with continuous update

Hi folks

anybody know an easy way to get data (in particular Stock data) from the internet, insert into a spreadsheet and continuously (or every so often) refresh and update the data.

It's simple to get data from web but I'm not sure what I need to do to keep updating

I'm using EXCEL 2016 (from Office 2016 PRO).

For example here's the Dow (30) from yahoo

http://finance.yahoo.com/quote/%5EDJ...nents?p=%5EDJI

OK US market currently closed but similarly for UK FTSE 100

http://finance.yahoo.com/quote/%5EFT...ents?p=%5EFTSE

Any data would be OK -- but probably easiest to test with Stock data as it's available FREE and continuously updating.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 2, 2017
  2. Uno_Sam Win User

Excel not allowing to continue editing in a cell after swapping windows

Earlier I used to work on Microsoft Excel 2010 on my PC, where my work was to copy information from the web and note it down in excel sheets. I used to write a sentence in a cell, swap windows to refer to data on web, swap back and used to continue typing
    within the same cell with no hassles.

Now that I have moved to the same Excel 2010, but on a Lenovo Laptop, I am not able to continue editing. The cell, after swapping back from the web window, either overwrites my previous information or I have to double click the cell again to continue writing
    in the same cell. This was not the case earlier. I didn't have to double click, the cursor used to stay within the cell to enable me to continue writing.

Now the cursor either overwrites my data or freezes the editing which can be continued with only double clicking which is waste of my precious time considering I have to load heaps of information from web to excel.

Please help with the same. I tried on the communities but was not able to find a single thread on this.

Uno_Sam, Feb 2, 2017
  3. Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4041676) problems for AutoCAD.

How to disable this update it makes a lot of problem for AutoCAD - Data Extraction - process that converts data from drawing to excel file.

With this update excel file is not created in right way. We get DeletMe in A1 cell instead of full excel sheet with data.

After uninstalling this update everything works fine, then windows again install this.

This is important for work process in my firm. With out extraction it takes days to retype all in excel, and we cant uninstall update on all computers every day til some fix come.

How to stop just this update from installing ???

Milos Dzunic, Feb 2, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Task Scheduler would seem to be the way, some ideas here...
    excel - How to set recurring schedule for xlsm file using Windows Task Scheduler - Stack Overflow

A word of warning though. Some sites don't take too kindly to their data being gathered in this way, they want you to read their pages - not extract the data. Excessive use of such techniques can result in your IP address being blocked from further access. You'll know if this has happened when you can no longer open the site in your browser.

I haven't (yet) been blocked by Yahoo, but some others have blacklisted my IP. Fortunately my ISP assigns a different IP each time I restart my router.

Bree, Feb 2, 2017
Thema:

1. Excel Gurus - Import data from the web with continuous update - Similar Threads - Excel Gurus Import

2. Importing photos from iPhone - continuing after failure?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Importing photos from iPhone - continuing after failure?: I'm using Photos Windows 11 to import photos from my iPhone. I need to import thousands of photos. It works fine, but eventually, it always crashes somewhere in the middle of the import. Is there any way to resume where I left off, rather than re-doing the entire import?...
  3. -Windows 11: importing Data from source Windows explorer directory file to excel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    -Windows 11: importing Data from source Windows explorer directory file to excel: Hi can anyone help please. I have windows 11 and am trying to import data from the source windows explorer folder named music :setup as Name/ Title/ #/ Contributing artist/ Album? Length/ Size/ Type eg MP3 I found Karl Timmermans answer to another query which helped how to...
  4. -Windows 11: importing Data from source Windows explorer directory file to excel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    -Windows 11: importing Data from source Windows explorer directory file to excel: Hi can anyone help please. I have windows 11 and am trying to import data from the source windows explorer folder named music :setup as Name/ Title/ #/ Contributing artist/ Album? Length/ Size/ Type eg MP3 I found Karl Timmermans answer to another query which helped how to...
  5. Announcing data import from PDF documents into Excel

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing data import from PDF documents into Excel: We are excited to announce a new and exciting update to Get & Transform Data capabilities in Excel – PDF data connector! This has been one of the top requests from you and we heard you. With the new From PDF connector you can connect to PDF files, and use the...
  6. Data Import

in Windows 10 Customization
    Data Import: I have several computers running software built with .NET and is basically an sql database. I need to import data into this database on a monthly basis, but strangely the import only works on one computer. I've spoken with the developer and he's baffled as to why this is. He...
  7. Error in "get data from web in excel

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Error in "get data from web in excel: Hi, we are trying to import a website data into excel to get the real time report based on it. we are getting error in web view section saying that "The Highlighting is disabled because this page uses internet explorer's compatibility mode" so I could not able to get the...
  8. Beware Court cases pending importing data into EXCEL etc.

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Beware Court cases pending importing data into EXCEL etc.: Hi folks. just a little warning about how GREEDY some companies are getting now. Say you import data from an ORACLE database into EXCEL or ms SQL type db - then Oracle is now running COURT CASES saying that as you are using OUR DATA you have to pay to import into say...
  9. EXCEL 2016 script error when getting external (web) data

in Microsoft Office and 365
    EXCEL 2016 script error when getting external (web) data: Hi there Trying to download data from web into a spreadsheet I keep getting Script Error. This worked perfectly in EXCEL 2010 (and still does). Get external data -->web The query simply takes the components of the London FTSE 100 (like the Dow jones / S&P) and downloads...
  10. Announcing Preview of New Data Import and Shaping Experience in Excel

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Preview of New Data Import and Shaping Experience in Excel: Hi Insiders and greetings from the Excel team! Excel 2016 includes a powerful set of tools called Get & Transform. These tools, which are based on Power Query technology, enable you to easily connect, combine, and shape data coming from a variety of sources. We introduced...