Windows 10: Excel not responding. Trying to format a column of phone numbers.

Discus and support Excel not responding. Trying to format a column of phone numbers. in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Excel 2010 I have a column of 22,000 phone numbers (and an additional column of fax numbers). I'm trying to convert the numbers from nine digits to... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by BellaDonna, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Excel not responding. Trying to format a column of phone numbers.

Excel 2010
    I have a column of 22,000 phone numbers (and an additional column of fax numbers).
    I'm trying to convert the numbers from nine digits to nine digits with hyphens.

I copied and renamed the original document. There are no protections.
    To be certain, I ran the Doc Inspector. I'm still free to do anything to the list.

The instructions are easy:
    Highlight column, select Format cell, click Custom, in Type, insert XXX-XXX-XXXX, click OK. That didn't work.
    Next, instead of click Custom, I clicked Special, selected phone number, clicked OK.
    Instead of hyphens, if it adds parentheses around the area code. I'm not that picky, although it takes more space.
    That doesn't work either.

I am less than a novice in Excel when it comes to creating anything. I've managed to fill in others and not have to create my own.

The only thing that doesn't look like instructions is that the Sample above Type never changes.
    I don't know if it should.

Excel not responding.  Trying to format a column of phone numbers. [​IMG]

Thank you.

:)

BellaDonna, Aug 25, 2016

2. Sum Numbers on a 950xl

This is simple, I'm sure. Just trying to sum a column of numbers in wp excel and it keeps yielding zero. So frustrating. Following help directions. Formatting as a number decimal column. Get equal sign SUM(b2:b44). Still zero. What's wrong?

DanielHugos, Aug 25, 2016
  3. Nate W.H. Win User
    lumia 800 only displays part of an excel spreadsheet from skydrive

Hi Paul_R_Edwards,

Can you test to see if another Excel file with a similar number of columns is able to display more columns? If it can then there may be an issue with that particular Excel file, if not you may be running in to a hidden cap on information that can be displayed
    by the phone.

Regards,

Nate W.H., Aug 25, 2016
  4. PiKo Win User

Excel not responding. Trying to format a column of phone numbers.

Highlight column, select Format cell, click Custom, in Type, insert XXX-XXX-XXXX, click OK. That didn't work

Excel 2003: Try: ####0-##0-###0
    Be sure to start with number format.

5. PiKo,

I have Excel 2010, but I am sure that doesn't make an ounce of difference.
    Your suggestion does not work, either.
    There is no other option but formatting Number. Since you mentioned it, though, I looked at Protection. The default is "locked" so I unchecked it - just to test.
    I would think it's something simple, but can't guess.

Thank you for your quick response.

BellaDonna, Aug 25, 2016
  6. PiKo Win User
    I did some experiments, but custom formatting in "Type" has always an immediate effect on "Sample" (and the cells).
    Also with me, Protection is Locked, but that has no influence.
    I suppose you tried this also on one cell instead of 22000 cells?
    And you tried it also in a new document?
    When it does not work in a new document either, maybe a repair action of Office is required.
    When it does work in a new document, the problem should be related to something in the telephone document.
    In the latter case, you may export all data and import these into a new document.
    I don't have any further ideas.
    Success!

7. pbcopter Win User
    In Excel 2010 when you select Custom in format cells, Type In ###-###-#### where it says type. This will create a custom format.

pbcopter, Aug 26, 2016
  8. Excel not responding. Trying to format a column of phone numbers.

PiKo,

Logic prevailed for the first three. Starting at the fourth:
    No, of course, I didn't try it in a different doc, until a moment ago.
    As you said, the sample immediately changed.
    It worked like a charm.

Having done this, I am certain your export/import suggestion will as well.
    With certain programs and in certain situations, I know where the blame lies.
    As an avid Excel avoider, I hadn't a clue.
    Success - you nailed it!

Thank you.

BellaDonna, Aug 26, 2016
  9. pbcopter,

See post - #1 - I tried that and failed.
    It wasn't the formula, per se; that particular column or the doc itself is somehow flawed or corrupted.
    PiKo had me try it in another sheet, so I did.
    It took a second to prove his/her theory.

Nothing succeeds like success!

Thank you.

BellaDonna, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Excel not responding. Trying to format a column of phone numbers.

1. Excel not responding. Trying to format a column of phone numbers. - Similar Threads - Excel responding Trying

2. Number of Folder columns

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Number of Folder columns: I had something very different happen, and I don’t know how, on my Microsoft Windows 10 desktop. But one result is that on displaying a folder, it shows all contents in one column instead of the multiple columns, as before. I have tried the various options under “Home”,...
  3. Number of Folder columns

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Number of Folder columns: I had something very different happen, and I don’t know how, on my Microsoft Windows 10 desktop. But one result is that on displaying a folder, it shows all contents in one column instead of the multiple columns, as before. I have tried the various options under “Home”,...
  4. Number of Folder columns

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. enter phone number format

in Windows 10 Customization
    enter phone number format: format to enter phone number https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enter-phone-number-format/73c14c01-12ac-4ab9-9ec1-a2a3479df8b9
  6. Number format

in Windows 10 Customization
    Number format: When needs to change number format to context in windows 10 , it doesn't appear in control panel > region > format > additional setting ? where can I fined it ? do I have a problem with windows installation or set up?...
  7. Excel: how to sort columns

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel: how to sort columns: [img] Hi I I understand why those columns are sorted the way they are, but I cant sort them the way I want. ie - I would like CS_S all the way left, CS_E is in column 3, etc. I have tried a bunch of diff options under data>sort, but regardless of what I try, I cant get...
  8. Excel 2103 adding digits to column

Excel 2103 adding digits to column: Hi guys can I ask for a little advice please I have an excel 2013 spreadsheet formatted as a table I have attached a screenshot to explain better As you can see I have a rows of dates in the header row IE 12th 13th 14th and so on to the left of the yellow column but when I...
  9. excel conditional formating

excel conditional formating: Hi to all,,, I am using excel 2016 and I have a 2 rows of data of which the top row consists of W or L and the row underneath consists of numbers that can be a number from 1 to 8. If the top cell is an L and the cell below is >6 I want the selected cell to be formatted with a...
  10. Read from Excel specific columns

Read from Excel specific columns: Hallo, seit kurzer Zeit bewege auch ich mich durch das "Matlab-Universum". Demgemäß freue ich mich über jeden kleinen Schritt, der mir gelingt. Nun habe ich jedoch eine Aufgabe erhalten, welche - so denke ich - mein bisheriges Können bei weitem übersteigt. Folgender...