Windows 10: Excel - read only bug

Discus and support Excel - read only bug in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I have recently installed Windows 10 on my desktop. I now find that most of my files are "read only" I have tried to deactivate this in properties for... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Christonotts, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Excel - read only bug

I have recently installed Windows 10 on my desktop. I now find that most of my files are "read only" I have tried to deactivate this in properties for the various folders but it does not work. Other than trying to copy every file that is currently in use what can you suggest please?

:)

Christonotts, Aug 31, 2015

2. excel files read only

During Microsoft updates excel files are converted to read only and now I cannot remove read only

Bob Nielsen 854, Aug 31, 2015
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    excel files read only

Hi Bob,

If a document is protected it will not allow you to modify or make changes unless change its attribute. To better assist you, we'd like to know if does this happen only with Excel file. Are you able to create and modify a new document?

In the meantime, copy and paste the file you want to modify. You need to take ownership of the files to have full access. Kindly follow these steps:

• Open File Explorer, browse and find the file or folder you want to have full access.
    • Right-click it, and select Properties.
    • Click the Security tab to access the NTFS permissions.
    • Click the Advanced button.
    • On the Advanced Security Settings page, you need to click the
      Change link, in the Owner's field.
    • Click the Advanced button.
    • On the Select User or Group page, click the
      Find Now button.
    • From the search result, select your user account, and click OK.
    • On the Select User or Group page, click OK.
    • Click Apply and OK.
    • Click OK and another OK to complete the task.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Aug 31, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

Excel - read only bug

Joergi, Sep 1, 2015
Thema:

Excel - read only bug

1. Excel - read only bug - Similar Threads - Excel read bug

2. Is it possible to download read-only copies of Word or Excel files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to download read-only copies of Word or Excel files?: I have a 6-month old desktop running Windows 11. I do not want to purchase Word or Excel. I've ran into a problem trying to download information from the Calif. Public Utilities Commission that's in an Excel format. Is there anyway to download a read-only copy or see the...
  3. Is it possible to download read-only copies of Word or Excel files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to download read-only copies of Word or Excel files?: I have a 6-month old desktop running Windows 11. I do not want to purchase Word or Excel. I've ran into a problem trying to download information from the Calif. Public Utilities Commission that's in an Excel format. Is there anyway to download a read-only copy or see the...
  4. Read only Excel files on D drive Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Read only Excel files on D drive Windows 10: As far as I know, without my intervention some of my excel files on D drive have become read only, I can edit but cannot save on D drive. but can save to another location eg C drive. The check box in properties is unchecked so why are the files read only.How can I return...
  5. Read only Excel files on D drive Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Read only Excel files on D drive Windows 10: As far as I know, without my intervention some of my excel files on D drive have become read only, I can edit but cannot save on D drive. but can save to another location eg C drive. The check box in properties is unchecked so why are the files read only.How can I return...
  6. Read only Excel files on D drive Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Read Only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Read Only: How do I change a file from Read Only to readable so I can make changes and save it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only/4aa037bd-76c4-4d79-ab31-74c95ec65740
  8. Excel cannot access <a subfolder>. The document may be read only or encrypted.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel cannot access <a subfolder>. The document may be read only or encrypted.: The above error started today. It occurs when Personal.xlsm attempts to launch, whether it is in the background when I open excel files that contain macros or if I launch Personal.xlsb from the XLStart folder. The <item in question> is a subfolder, not a file. I have...
  9. read only

in Windows 10 Support
    read only: Why can’t I turn read only off in w10 125112
  10. Word and excel Documenets Marked as read only and cannot save

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Word and excel Documenets Marked as read only and cannot save: Hello, I have new fun problem with Word and Excel documents that I have been editing for years (such as resumes) opening a "read only" doc and when I try to save to its original folder getting an error the drive is either full or that I do not have permissions to write to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. excel read only bug