Windows 10: Excessive amout of standby ram on idle. bluescreens and program crash

Discus and support Excessive amout of standby ram on idle. bluescreens and program crash in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; ever since i have updated to windows 10 i have had nothing but problems with memory usage, on idle recently i have seen anywhere from 5-10gb of of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jet Fuse, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Jet Fuse Win User

Excessive amout of standby ram on idle. bluescreens and program crash

ever since i have updated to windows 10 i have had nothing but problems with memory usage,
    on idle recently i have seen anywhere from 5-10gb of of my memory on standby.
    if i try to run a game or memory intensive process it will often crash the whole computer or force the program to close if there isn't anymore free memory to put on standby even if the actual in use ram is less then 30%
    i also cant seem to find anyone else with the issue

pic related current usage, memory usage - Imgur

:)

Jet Fuse, Aug 13, 2016

2. maps 3.01 quits on start navigation if online

Yes, latest firmware.

No other programs running.

RAM stats:

Idle (only Menu and Standby)-Free RAM=60 MB (about 50% free).

Startup Maps without A-GPS, Free RAM=53 MB

Add A-GPS, Free RAM=52 MB

Start navigation, Free RAM=49 MB

(didn't crash this time; doesn't always)

Thanks

kurtkaufman---01, Aug 13, 2016
  3. Standby Memory Causes Crashes

Hello Aileen,

I did in fact post the question with more detailed specifics on the Microsoft Technet forums here:

See Thread Here

So far no one has been able to turn standby memory off and the option you suggested, turning it off from the BIOS/UEFI settings, there is no such setting. I don't need the computer manufacturer to run through all the possible screens of the BIOS and determine
    that such an option does not exist.

When a game or a program wishes to write to RAM, the amount of FREE space is reported to the program, and only if the amount of FREE space is sufficient, does the program WRITE to RAM, else it throws an out of memory error. Seeing that standby memory is
    only freed if the program WRITES to RAM, the amount of free space would be less that free space + standby memory so the program will NEVER write to RAM if the standby memory is there. Standby memory is not free memory!!! Why on God's good earth would I want
    to keep something loaded into RAM after I close it instead of freeing the memory for the next application I run?

It's not too hard to ask. When a program is closed, GET IT OUT OF RAM. Leave my RAM FREE. The hypothetical benefits of preloading only work for people who have less than 8GB of programs (the amount of RAM they have installed). The non facebook/youtube junkies
    who have more than 8GB of programs installed (the graphic designers, the gamers, the programmers) need the RAM free!! How much more will I have to crash and black screen before Microsoft realizes its mistake? When a program is done with a block of memory,
    FREE IT GODDAMMIT

Sincerely,

A frustrated gamer/programmer.

AshtonBeharry, Aug 13, 2016
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Welcome to the forum.

The screenshot shows nothing unusual or abnormal. A high value for standby memory is not a problem but is in fact a good thing. This is a major contributor to good performance and a big reason why having a large amount of memory is beneficial. There is no need or benefit in having free memory. Windows was designed to work this way.

Highly doubtful your problem is related to standby memory.

LMiller7, Aug 13, 2016
  5. Jet Fuse Win User
    every time i use my computer i have the meter open (i have two monitors)
    the standby eats up all the free ram and one of two things happen the program is closed by windows or the whole system crashes
    the "in use" memory almost never goes above half while the standby will skyrocket up and break things when it cant go up any more
    i have also tested the ram sticks in other systems one was running windows 7 and the other 8.1 and had no issues running stress tests
    i tested other ram sticks in this system and had the exact same issues
    EDIT: forgot to mention that i have been having this issues for months and have been trying to work around it and its the same thing every time

Jet Fuse, Aug 13, 2016
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    I still think you are looking in the wrong place. The normal state of available memory is in standby, not free. Many times I have seen all of available memory in standby with zero free memory and have had no issues of any kind. Windows was designed to work this way.

Post a screenshot of Task Manager - Performance tab showing memory information. That may show something. Best to post screenshots on the forum and not as previously. Many members see this as a security risk.

LMiller7, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Excessive amout of standby ram on idle. bluescreens and program crash - Similar Threads - Excessive amout standby

2. Excessive RAM usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Excessive RAM usage: Why CMD.exe uses a lot of RAM of my laptop ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excessive-ram-usage/dacef1e8-85fc-4bc5-b7da-eda5cde26715
  3. One Note using excessive RAM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One Note using excessive RAM: Hello,Recently I have had problems with my OneNote application using excessive amount of RAM. Up to 57GB at a time, which seems ridiculous to me. I have tried restarting my computer and force quitting the app multiple times to avoid my computer simply crashing. The odd thing...
  4. One Note using excessive RAM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One Note using excessive RAM: Hello,Recently I have had problems with my OneNote application using excessive amount of RAM. Up to 57GB at a time, which seems ridiculous to me. I have tried restarting my computer and force quitting the app multiple times to avoid my computer simply crashing. The odd thing...
  5. EXCESS RAM SHARING WITH DEDICATED GRAPHICS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EXCESS RAM SHARING WITH DEDICATED GRAPHICS: Hello My machine came with 8GB of ram and 2Gb of dedicated graphics.I noticed that out of the 8GB of ram i can only access 5GB and the rest is used as shared video memory.This is greatly affecting my productivity and performance especially after upgrading to windows...
  6. EXCESS RAM SHARING WITH DEDICATED GRAPHICS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EXCESS RAM SHARING WITH DEDICATED GRAPHICS: Hello My machine came with 8GB of ram and 2Gb of dedicated graphics.I noticed that out of the 8GB of ram i can only access 5GB and the rest is used as shared video memory.This is greatly affecting my productivity and performance especially after upgrading to windows...
  7. Bluescreen when idle

Bluescreen when idle: Hi, i have problem with my laptop AERO 15 with win 10 recently bluescreen when idle. here is the DMP files:https://drive.google.com/file/d/11C-Ha0uAOyPbAhVerHnhPB-3UZzvgyHT/view?usp=sharingpls help,thanks...
  8. Excessive battery drain during S0 sleep (modern standby)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Excessive battery drain during S0 sleep (modern standby): For my Lenovo X1 Yoga 3rd Gen (Win 10 20H2 Build 19042.928) I have had issues using hibernation. About 30% of the time, the WiFi device will not work when resuming from hibernation. The device will not even appear in device manager. A reboot is required to make it appear and...
  9. BlueScreen while idle

BlueScreen while idle: hey got some BSODs in the last few days when the system was idle or under very low loads like watching videos. here are 2 dumpfiles: file 1: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao4DQb0dYlNsjz7tLUpTRehcucuQ file 2: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao4DQb0dYlNsjz_SQO41ajmA6Zf7 this BSOD told me...
  10. Excessive standby drain?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Excessive standby drain?: My new HP Spectre x360 (i7-7500U / 16GB RAM / 512GB SSD / Windows 10 Home x64) seems to lose a bit much in terms of battery life. Out of the box, it's set to stay in standby mode for 3 hours before hibernating. I have since changed it to just 60 minutes of standby before...