Windows 10: Excessively Large System Files

Discus and support Excessively Large System Files in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have two excessively large system files located in C:\Windows\: {2FD0AD83-973A-11E5-B6B9-ACFDCE21931D} {2FD0AD87-973A-11E5-B6B9-ACFDCE21931D}... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by nicholasmati, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Excessively Large System Files

I have two excessively large system files located in C:\Windows\:

{2FD0AD83-973A-11E5-B6B9-ACFDCE21931D}
    {2FD0AD87-973A-11E5-B6B9-ACFDCE21931D}

The first is 43.4 GB and the second is 26.6 GB. Together, they constitute 30% of my total disk usage or over 42% if you ignore my Linux VM.

Standard questions:
    - What are they / what do they do?
    - Why are they so big?
    - Can I delete them?

I'm Running Windows 10 with a clean install originating from a late insider build. My present OS build is 10586.36. More information is available upon request.

:)

nicholasmati, Jan 9, 2016

2. Packages Folder Excessively Large

My sister has a one year old computer with Widows 10 installed. I was surprised that her 650GB drive is full except for a 1 or 2 free gigabytes. I found the folder C:/Users/Admin/Appdata/Local/Packages/ has over 400 gigabytes stored in it.

I don't know what caused the Packages folder to become so large. I do not know how to decide what to delete.

Any suggestions?

Laverne

Phoenix_123, Jan 9, 2016
  3. Packages Folder Excessively Large

Hi

I have the same problema with a 8.1 Surface tablet . What can i do to Free hd space?. I havent installed any app.

Kelldintch, Jan 9, 2016
  4. Clive K Win User

Excessively Large System Files

If these are under a System Volume Information directory, they are files used by System Restore. If you don't use the System Restore function, turn it off. They will be automatically deleted. Another possibility is Hibernation. Same deal.

Clive K, Jan 9, 2016
  5. Archie123 Win User
    you could try deleting all but the latest restore point see if it shrinks , right click computer goto properties then general tab select disk clean up thenm select clean up system files/more options , then clean up under system restore and shadow copies *Smile

Archie123, Jan 9, 2016
  6. TL;DR: Thanks for the replies and good guesses, but no and no.

The path to the files in question is C:\Windows\, not C:\System Volume Information\. In my experience from Windows 7, System Volume Information\ never grows much beyond 1 or 2 GB, not the 70 GB that I'm wanting to remove. I'm also rather dubious that it's system restore at this point because:
    - I disabled system restore for the C drive in question.
    - I deleted both system restore points on disk through the system protection GUI.
    - I tried Archie123's method for removing system restore points.
    - The disk space usage limit for system restore was set to 10 GB.
    - I doubt that a Windows software engineer would link a file in C:\Windows\ to System Volume Information\ (although I haven't checked - Windows 10 seems hell bent on keeping me from viewing the contents of System Volume Information or even changing the permissions as an admin and I don't feel like Googling it).
    ... and the two files are still there and as large as ever..

I'm pretty sure the hibernation explanation is also out. I disabled system hibernation a while back and verified that the hibernation file had been deleted. WinDirStat also shows no indication of a hibernation file at this time and I don't have enough RAM for the system to justify a file anywhere near 70 GB.

7. Archie123 Win User
    Is there a backup option called file history on win 10? I had a friend with an issue with this but it was win 8 , windows was backing up his files what seemed to be multiple times and the resulting files were huge , i cant remember how he fixed it ill get in touch with him . Probably not the issue but ill get the info anyway

Archie123, Jan 9, 2016
  8. Excessively Large System Files

Hi Archie,

If you mean this File History feature, then yes; Windows 10 has that feature. However, I'm a git user and haven't played with File History until know. If I go to Control Panel >System and Security > File History, it claims that "File History is off" and I also haven't associated a backup drive. Whether file history is actually off, I don't know, but assuming the Microsoft SWE's did their job correctly it should be.

9. As an extra data point, I appended "-hide" to the names of the two files in question. I have been able reboot and everything so far (Chrome, Word 2010, Task Manager, Skype, VMWare, [Windows] Settings, Control Panel, and File Explorer) appears to be functioning properly. This doesn't definitely answer any of my questions, but it does suggest "nothing" as a possible answer to my first question.

10. WHS
    whs Win User
    Those look like temp files to me. I would delete them.

11. I just finished copying them onto an external hard drive just in case they aren't temp files. I'll run for a while and go through the typical Windows forced update process at least once before permanently deleting them. However, that still doesn't answer what they do (did) and why they are so big.

nicholasmati, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Excessively Large System Files

1. Excessively Large System Files - Similar Threads - Excessively Large System

2. My system file are too large

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My system file are too large: My C:\ disk has been used 140gb, When I checked it, it turned out that 100gb were used for the system. I've searched the Internet but there is no way that can reduce it, does anyone have a solution? I'm sorry if my English is bad, Thanks...
  3. System files abnormally large

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System files abnormally large: [ATTACH] I was recently checking storage to see that my system files has over 600 gbs, I am very unsure how to clear, I ran a defragment and optimize drives and it still didn't change. Moreover, I also ran a sfc /scannow and it still didnt change anything, any help will be...
  4. Excessive Temporary Files

Excessive Temporary Files: I've recently found that I have become dangerously close to running out of any space on my Surface device. Even after doing some 'spring cleaning' that gave back a few GB's I went and inspected further and found that a whopping 151 GB of storage was being used on Temporary...
  5. Excessively large .full.dump files in Temp folder...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Excessively large .full.dump files in Temp folder...: I've got some excessively large .full.dump files in my "[User Dir] --> AppData --> Local --> Temp" directory, created by DrDump, and they are around 4 Gigs per "_1.0.0.6_[random numbers here]" folder == 13.8 Gigs. It didn't used to be a lot when i had 1-2 TB HDDs, but this...
  6. System file too large

System file too large: I select every folder in my C disk and the property shows that they are only a little bit more than 100G. When I check the storage in the setting, it shows that the system file is 244GB. Is there anyway to delete it? PS: I already checked CBS folder and that does not...
  7. System Files To Large On Windows Partition

System Files To Large On Windows Partition: I have a mac mini and i partitioned the disc so i could run windows but the system files have eaten up all my storage space. I have already disabled hibernate and have checked for broken software. Keep in mind I have given windows 120 GB to run on. My actual hard drive is...
  8. File Too Large – The file is too large for the destination file system

in Windows 10 News
    File Too Large – The file is too large for the destination file system: [ATTACH] This post will help you if you cannot copy large files over 4GB to USB flash drive or SD card, and you receive a message – File Too Large, The file is too large for the destination file system message [...] This post File Too Large – The file is too large for the...
  9. NTFS file system with large nr of files SLOOOOOOOOOOOW !!!!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    NTFS file system with large nr of files SLOOOOOOOOOOOW !!!!: Hi there Copying 2.7 TB of files (music, video) from USB3 ext drive to RAID 0 internal fast HDD on Windows --- nearly 8 hours. Copying same 2.7 TB also to RAID 0 on identical system though running Linux with XFS file system on both sets of HDD's 2 hrs 45 mns. !!! Not...
  10. The file "install.wim" is too large for the destination file system.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The file "install.wim" is too large for the destination file system.: Was just copying over the files from my mounted Windows 10 (multi edition) MSDN ISO and got that message. It's formatted as Fat32. This is the just newly released last month ISO. Looks like I'll have to use NTFS? This may be an issue for those that need Fat32 for UEFI...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. packages folder is excessively large

2. excessive system files