Windows 10: Excise metro wherever it hath taken root!

Discus and support Excise metro wherever it hath taken root! in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Grumpy user looking for help. I'll be frank, the very minute I saw the metro interface with the gigantic brightly coloured blocks, I felt like a chimp... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DerangedBrony, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Excise metro wherever it hath taken root!

Grumpy user looking for help. I'll be frank, the very minute I saw the metro interface with the gigantic brightly coloured blocks, I felt like a chimp in a lab being tested for pattern recognition. Then I discovered rightclick was de fakto disabled all over the place. Then the task manager turned out to be censoring things. Then apps refused to shut down or once killed, stay down. Process kill, and BLOP there it was again, pissing willy nilly nonsense it thought I'd find interesting. That in turn led me to the discovery of outright mutiny :

Excise metro wherever it hath taken root! [​IMG]

The more I explored and used windows 10, the more I grew incensed at its doing waaaaaay too much without consent, hiding things from me, and ignoring half of what I DID tell it to do. I say ignore, but it felt more like the blank stare of a bemused cat. Inevitably... my patience ran out.

THIS MISCHIEVOUS KNAVERY SHALT BE PUT DOWN AND MOST IMMEDIATELY SO!
    *brandishes rapier violently at some unseen opponent, goblet sloshing red wine on the table*

I didn't buy a windows laptop to be treated like a Mac user. Please do not misunderstand me and try to explain why I need to give up the quest and capitulate to the new windows. I have used every version of windows since 3.11. Windows 10, and in particular the metro aesthetic, is ugly, simplistic, walled-off and insubordinate on a level I haven't seen since the moving Click Here button prank. I can read, so I dont want bloody ribbons with pictures or big brightly coloured blocks, to poke at like a chimpanzee. I want to restore the look of WinXP:

At the moment I have Classic Shell set up to at least SHOW the margin between what Win10 would have you believe is the window edge, and the actual window edge, so I can at least resize windows normally again. Various text elements are now illegible as their colour was intended for a white background, but that's nitpickage I can do later.

Problem 1 : Corners
    Google Chrome has wonderful soft round corners win Win10. Every other program however, most notably explorer itself, does not. Is there anything people can recommend or warn against? I'm up for almost anything short of VM, so whatever works. And no I will not use Tip-Ex or try filing the corners down. Grr.

Problem 2 : Apps
    I've stripped most of them, but a few I feel hesitant about. I have come to accept that simply breaking or at least hobbling the app component of Win10 is not desirable as this breaks more than it fixes, but I'd like to get as close as I can. Attached please find my Get-AppxPackage readout. Which components in this list can I afford to remove?

Bit of a rant, I grant you, but then Microsoft reeeeeeeeally is pushing it, in my view. *Banghead

:)

DerangedBrony, Jan 24, 2016

2. Xbox App Game DVR capture save location

Hey Joe,

You should be able to drag the Captures folder to wherever you like, and Game DVR will continue to save files in that folder, even if it's on a different drive. So, either move the folder with your mouse, or as others have suggested, right-click the folder,
    click on Properties and change the Location to wherever you'd like. In your case, that would be the Videos folder. Hope that helps.

Rohan - Windows Camera Team [MSFT], Jan 24, 2016
  3. magnumjoe Win User
    Cannot install "USB Phone Parent"!

Wow guys!

I've just encountered the same problem, and i guess i am lucky i have you here Excise metro wherever it hath taken root! :D

Still haven't tried anything, but will go to extreme: windows surgery: excise *.inf files Excise metro wherever it hath taken root! :D lol

magnumjoe, Jan 24, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Excise metro wherever it hath taken root!

Hi, quite agree with you on Win 10's appalling start menu (I use Classic Shell) and its appearance (all whitish title bars originally with no borders in build 10240 so you couldn't tell where one ended and the next began.

My opinion - it's not worth removing the universal apps. Why?
    1. They'll be back on the next upgrade (like build 10586).
    2. They don't take up so much space
    3. They can easily be ignored.
    4. If you use the useful in-place upgrade repair install (repair technique) again they'll be back.

Try:
    - disabling the scheduled task to update them (in Windows Update in Task Scheduler) - if you're sure that't what you want.
    - disable Background Apps as needed (in Settings).

In explorer, if Quick Access offends thee, try
    Remove from File Explorer in Windows 10

This is how mine looks- others have done very different things with high contrast themes.

dalchina, Jan 24, 2016
Thema:

Excise metro wherever it hath taken root!

1. Excise metro wherever it hath taken root! - Similar Threads - Excise metro wherever

2. Metro Apps not installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Metro Apps not installed: Hi there, I used to have a problem where metro apps wouldn't open, so I did an in-place upgrade of Windows 10. After the upgrade finished, the metro apps just didn't exist, I couldn't find them via search or settings, and whenever I use the PowerShell commands it just says...
  3. My Metro Exodus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Metro Exodus: Hey guys so last year i bought Metro Exodus on the Microsoft Store with gift cards on PC and i played it about halfway on PC and today i wanted to reinstall it but it says my version is not supported on PC? How is that possible i bought it and played it on PC i really dont...
  4. root kits

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    root kits: what is scan root kits for on malware bytes build1904sedww 150311
  5. metro exodus

metro exodus: I've been playing the game for awhile. Made it to Caspian. Fun game. Problem is now it will not load. Goes through the intro, but it cuts out a second into the train sound and never makes it to the select screen. The screen goes black and crashes the computer. This is...
  6. Metro Bootloader

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Metro Bootloader: I just did a dual boot with windows 10 and windows 7 and all I get is the black and white bootloader. Before I partitioned my drive and installed windows 7 I had the Metro bootloader with my windows 10 and Macrium Reflect but after installing windows 7 on the new partition...
  7. Metro style UI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Metro style UI: New metro style UI is a big mistake and true piece of sh**t. Please kill it with fire. Pls send this message to Satya Nadella and Bill Gates https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/metro-style-ui/323057de-38a5-487a-8ec6-d9435696b1ff
  8. Metro Exodus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Metro Exodus: Looks good fbbqlvuovQ0 86777
  9. Metro Apps Problem

Metro Apps Problem: I don't have Metro (Modern) Apps (Fresh Install). How do i get it? 35052
  10. Metro bootloader not working.

in Windows 10 Support
    Metro bootloader not working.: I have a dual boot system, 7x64 pro and 10x64 pro. Everything works fine if I use the Legacy bootloader. If I switch it to the metro bootloader, using EasyBCD, the system boots directly into W10 without ever showing a bootloader screen. [img] Anyone have a clue how to...