Windows 10: Exclude "file type" from search

Discus and support Exclude "file type" from search in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I need to find all the files that contain the word "word" in them. When I try to search in File Explorer, I get all the files that are Microsoft Word... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by enso, Aug 19, 2017.

1. enso Win User

Exclude "file type" from search

I need to find all the files that contain the word "word" in them. When I try to search in File Explorer, I get all the files that are Microsoft Word files. How do I search for matches on only content within the file?

I need to find all the files that contain the word "word" in them. When I try to search in File Explorer, I get all the files that are Microsoft Word files. How do I search for matches on only content within the file?

:)

2. musum Win User

" SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

SO HERE'S THE LINK TO THAT PIC

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ihbdco.jpg

CAN U PLZ CHECK IT ACTUALLY I HAVE USED THE NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER B4 ... BUT I DONT KNW WHY I M GETTING THIS ERROR NOW

musum, Aug 19, 2017
  3. musum Win User
    " SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

i have installed windows xp sp2

previously i was using windows media center i thought i might b facing this probs due to that but then i changed it to windows xp ! n moreover i have also shown to nokia service center executives but they were not having the latest updates available ......
    my pc suite is showing that new update version of firmware is available but i cudnt download it Exclude "file type" from search :(

oh gawd wat to do ? Exclude "file type" from search :(

i tried in another pc then again i got an error u need to have minimum 256 ram Exclude "file type" from search :(

please cant it b rectified ? there must b any solution to this probs please help me guyz

god bless all of u thanx Exclude "file type" from search :)

musum, Aug 19, 2017
  4. Exclude "file type" from search

Exclude "file type" from search [​IMG]

Maybe remove the checkmark where circled and search *.word

Josey Wales, Aug 19, 2017
  5. werby Win User
    Hi,
    Click on Search field.
    You'll see the "Search Tools" menu, click on "Search->Advanced options" and...voila!

werby, Aug 19, 2017
  6. DavidY Win User
    You could put something like this in the search box:
    Code: word NOT(ext:docx OR ext:doc OR ext:docm)[/quote] Kari did a tutorial over on Sevenforums on file explorer searching. Although it's a few years old, I believe it all still applies in Windows 10.
    https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...operators.html

DavidY, Aug 19, 2017
  7. enso Win User
    No; this does not do what I want. I do not want files with a .word extension. I want Word files that contain "word" within the text content.

8. enso Win User

No; this does not do what I want. There is nothing under advanced search options to prevent searching for "word" finding all Microsoft Word documents, instead of just the Word documents that have "word" as text within the file. I want Word files that contain "word" within the text content.

9. enso Win User
    Kari did a tutorial over on Sevenforums on file explorer searching. Although it's a few years old, I believe it all still applies in Windows 10.
    https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...operators.html[/quote]
    I do not want to exclude extensions of .doc, .docx, etc. I want them, and I want all of those that have somewhere inside the file the word "word". A search for the word "word" matches every Microsoft Word document, even ones that do not contain "word" within them. The search is matching on the file type. I can find no syntax to exclude searching on the file type field and search only the contents of the files.

10. Edwin New Member
    In Advanced Indexing Options uncheck to exclude .word file types if listed

Edwin, Aug 20, 2017
  11. bro67 Win User
    If you have not specified a specific folder for Office documents, they get dropped into the Documents folder under your profile. Boolean searches of if, and, or, = have always worked. If you want to narrow the searches down to a specific file, you need to put in keywords into the profile of the file before saving. I would also suggest setting up sub-folders in Documents for say Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.

bro67, Aug 20, 2017
  12. werby Win User
    Unfortunately, you're absolutely right!!!

I've performed some tests and I first time realize that WinSearch looks for not only contents but also for the tags of a file (seen in properties/details). That's why you see documents even if they don't include given word.

The word "word" is included in a .doc file tag as "Microsoft Office Word"
    So, exclusion of file tags on searching would make the job. BUT HOW...???*Sad

werby, Aug 20, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

Hi, in file explorer try e.g.
    content:doc

to find files containing doc but not files of type doc or docx.

(Note- naturally you need the appropriate ifilters installed for the document types you're interested in to index content, as well as having the relevant folders specified in Indexing Options and content indexing enabled).

dalchina, Aug 20, 2017
  14. werby Win User
    That seems to work!!!
    THANKS!!!*Smile

werby, Aug 20, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    *ThumbsInterestingly it's not shown in the Advanced Query Syntax description- perhaps there's a later version.

dalchina, Aug 20, 2017
Thema:

1. Exclude "file type" from search - Similar Threads - Exclude file type

2. Windows search excluding some file types?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows search excluding some file types?: Ever since the most recent update Windows search is not returning any of my Guitar Pro file types. gp3, gp4, gp5, etc... It had been working fine. Rebuilding the search index doesn't fix it. I checked in advanced options and they are not excluded. Strangely when I first...
  3. Windows search excluding some file types?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search excluding some file types?: Ever since the most recent update Windows search is not returning any of my Guitar Pro file types. gp3, gp4, gp5, etc... It had been working fine. Rebuilding the search index doesn't fix it. I checked in advanced options and they are not excluded. Strangely when I first...
  4. Files excluded from sync

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files excluded from sync: Hi,I have some audio files that will not open anymore. It says under the "status" colomn that the files are "excluded from sync". What does this mean? And how do I get my audio files to play again?Thanks....
  5. Files excluded from sync

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files excluded from sync: Hi,I have some audio files that will not open anymore. It says under the "status" colomn that the files are "excluded from sync". What does this mean? And how do I get my audio files to play again?Thanks....
  6. Exclude web from local searches?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Exclude web from local searches?: When I search for "sourdough" in the lower left field next to the Windows button, I'm hoping to get results of documents or images with the keyword "sourdough" in the title or contents. Instead, most of the results are web pages about sourdough. Can I configure the Windows...
  7. Exclude specific network folders from a network search

in Windows 10 Support
    Exclude specific network folders from a network search: Hi, I'm currently on Windows 10 Home 1909 and am wondering how do I exclude specific network folders when I'm frequently doing a search on a networked drive? The drive isn't mapped, just added as a network location shortcut in "This PC". Thanks. 154147
  8. exclude drive / directory from windows search

in Cortana
    exclude drive / directory from windows search: I am a photographer, I have photos that date back roughly 10+ years or so stored on 7 to 8 hard drives. I am trying to locate photos from a certain month but need to exclude 2 directories on 2 of the hard drives from the search. The search term that I am using at the moment...
  9. which file types to exclude from AV scans?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    which file types to exclude from AV scans?: I use NIS (free with Comcast). I have several TB of total files on my system and I would like to exclude file types can can be excluded safely. As an example, I do a lot of photography, so I want to exclude NEF (RAW file created by Nikon cameras) and PSD (file type created...
  10. File type search?

in Windows 10 Support
    File type search?: Does anyone know of a way to search an entire computer for instances of a specific type of file? For example, Microsoft Word Document (.doc). I may know that I created a Word doc about something a long while ago e.g. a year, but I don’t remember the name of it, and where I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. text to type to exclude in file search