Windows 10: Exclude start menu from indexing?

Discus and support Exclude start menu from indexing? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi all, Got a bit of a problem. I've moved my users folder and all of that good stuff off my SSD. I wanted to switch indexing back on, I've moved... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SpiralZero, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Exclude start menu from indexing?

Hi all,

Got a bit of a problem. I've moved my users folder and all of that good stuff off my SSD. I wanted to switch indexing back on, I've moved the indexing location to my HDD and only selected HDD partitions but I can't ditch start menu indexing, which is still stuck on my SSD in ProgramData.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove or exclude the start menu folder from indexing?

Thanks *Smile

:)

SpiralZero, Aug 18, 2015
  2. Epic007 Win User

Windows 10 Start Menu Search not finding shortcuts

I have same the problem. When I have a .exe I want on the Start Menu, I right-click it and select 'Pin to Start'. The problem however is that this creates a shortcut in the C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder. This
    folder is excluded from indexing. Look at Indexing Options - Users.

The shortcuts that work are located at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs which is not excluded from indexing.

The question is why Microsoft chose to put 'Pin to Start' items in the AppData folder so they do not show up in search bar?

Epic007, Aug 18, 2015
  3. yossic Win User
    File history have two places to exclude folders?

hi,

I am using File history to backup my files,

and i noticed that there are two place that i can add "exclude folders".

those 2 place are not synchronized.

one at:

Control Panel\System and Security\File History-> on the left menu click "Exclude folders"

second at:

start menu->Settings->Update & security-> on the left menu click "Backup"->under "Back up using File History" click "More options"->down below you have "Exclude these folders"

what is the difference between the two places?

which one should i use?

Thanks!

yossic, Aug 18, 2015
  4. klepp0906 Win User

Exclude start menu from indexing?

In folder options (control panel) you have to turn on show hidden files and folders. Then you can turn it off in file indexing just like the rest of the locations.

klepp0906, Aug 19, 2015
Thema:

Exclude start menu from indexing?

1. Exclude start menu from indexing? - Similar Threads - Exclude start menu

2. Exclude PSTs from Windows Desktop Search Indexing in Windows 10 when they are not open in...

in Cortana
    Exclude PSTs from Windows Desktop Search Indexing in Windows 10 when they are not open in...: Win10/22H2/O365 2302. I have about a dozen PST files that I do not want Windows Desktop Search to index, to keep the index EDB a reasonable size. Historically, I thought WDS did not index PSTs unless they were open in Outlook, but I've noticed recently that WDS is indexing...
  3. Windows 10 AppData excluded from search index

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 AppData excluded from search index: Hi all. Zoom has installed itself in my AppData folder. When I try to search "zoom" in my start menu, nothing appears. I fiddled with search indexing but it seems AppData is excluded. I don't want to have a shortcut on my desktop, so how can I get Zoom to show up in search...
  4. Search index excludes any folder with a .git subfolder

Search index excludes any folder with a .git subfolder: I use Git to keep track of my projects, and this creates a .git folder in any repository that is tracked. I am unable to search anything in these folders. For example, I know that filename.txt exists inside one such folder, and when I type filename.txt in the Start Menu...
  5. Search index excludes any folder with a .git subfolder

in Cortana
    Search index excludes any folder with a .git subfolder: I use Git to keep track of my projects, and this creates a .git folder in any repository that is tracked. I am unable to search anything in these folders. For example, I know that filename.txt exists inside one such folder, and when I type filename.txt in the Start Menu...
  6. Start menu apps not getting entered in the Start menu folder and not getting indexed

in Cortana
    Start menu apps not getting entered in the Start menu folder and not getting indexed: For months I have had this issue where any new app/software I installed on my laptop would not appear in the search from the start menu. After looking at the indexing menu, I noticed that the start menu folder in that was not showing any of the recently installed apps. After...
  7. Not indexing- only photos taken with Canon camera in Landscape orientation-excluded from Index

in Cortana
    Not indexing- only photos taken with Canon camera in Landscape orientation-excluded from Index: I noticed this weird problem with the Search function. I wanted a photo I KNEW I had, that had "Craig" in the title. Search did not find it. I knew the year, so was able to find it manually. While in the folder with the target "Craig" file, I searched "Craig" and Search...
  8. Excluded indexing folders

Excluded indexing folders: I changed the excluded indexing folders and now I want to return everything to the default state, how i can do this? I mean, reset excluded indexing folders. submitted by /u/TheLerny [link] [comments]...
  9. Windows indexing is not excluding folders that are excluded

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows indexing is not excluding folders that are excluded: Hello, My Windows start menu Windows search is showing results from the AppData folder despite the AppData folder being set as an excluded folder. My Windows 10 "Searching Windows" setting is set to classic and the excluded folder is clearly shown on the list. The issue...
  10. Start menu folders are not indexed

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu folders are not indexed: Hi all, In win 7 I was able to put folders and shortcuts on the desktop (or every indexed folder) and when I went to: - START - SEARCH I was able to write a folder or shorcut or even a portion of them and Win 7 gave me immediately the chance to click on them (just...