Windows 10: Exes stop executing after a while

Discus and support Exes stop executing after a while in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I have a Lenovo Ideapad 11S, and my OS is Windows 10. After using it for some time, suddenly all the executables (exes) stop working. Even the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ajeysp, Nov 7, 2017.

1. ajeysp Win User

Exes stop executing after a while

Hi,
    I have a Lenovo Ideapad 11S, and my OS is Windows 10. After using it for some time, suddenly all the executables (exes) stop working. Even the windows commands like reboot, task manager etc. don't start at all. The Windows menu continues to function, but on clicking the buttons nothing happens. The only thing I can do is a hard reboot. After the reboot, the problems go away for some time, and then reappear again.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
    Ajey

:)

ajeysp, Nov 7, 2017

2. Problem upgrade to Window 10

I have downloaded the GetWindow10-Web...exe file for the upgrade to Window 10. While executing the exe file, I have to restart the internet connection as the speed was extremely slow. Subsequently, when I try to execute the exe file again, there was not
    responding at lot.

How should proceed to upgrade tom Window 10 ? (I am currently using Window 8.1)

Keng Pang Chu, Nov 7, 2017
  3. Karen Her Win User
    windows mirgation assistnat not working

Thank you for posting your query. There are some files that you will be able to open immediately after transferring to other OS depending on the extension. For Windows, you usually see the
    .exe executable file, while on MAC, the counterpart of.exe would be
    .app.

Feel free to reach out to us for further concerns.

Karen Her, Nov 7, 2017
  4. Exes stop executing after a while

Hi Ajey. Welcome to the TenForums @ajeysp

You didn't mention what version and build are you on

Windows key + R, type winver, enter

When did this problem start? What changes were made just before this issue started. Are restore Points enabled?

First I would run

sfc /scannow

from command prompt(admin) or powershell(admin)

Does the machine exhibit same behaviour on a clean boot.

Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 7, 2017
  5. I've experienced this intermittently, but often, with all releases of Win10 through 1706. (I haven't installed the Fall CU yet, but I expect to see the problem there, too.) My impression is that it happens most often shortly after a major upgrade and gradually becomes less frequent.

If I have the patience to wait it out, things eventually wake up. Sometimes it takes over 30 minutes, but programs I've tried to invoke finally start running. (Or the requested shutdown starts, etc.) It had been nearly happening every time I reboot or wake from sleep, but usually only once a day. Now it happens once a week or less often.

Every time I recovery from one of these hangups (either by waiting or by doing a forced shutdown) I look in the Event log. I have never seen anything pointing to an obvious problem.

This is obviously not something that happens to many people or somebody would have collected enough information to track down the cause. I suspect it's dependent on the combination of hardware and installed software. I'm sort of relieved to hear that someone else is experiencing it, but that is kind of cold comfort.

If anybody has suggestions on collecting diagnostic documentation for problems like this I would like to hear them. Uninstalling 3rd party programs isn't practical since it sometimes takes over a week for the problem to happen. I have very few installed programs that I can do without for over a week.

pokeefe0001, Nov 7, 2017
  6. Hi pokeefe0001.

Just me but if something had been going on that long I would have performed a clean install. I know there is work involved but this is not right and continuously performing forced shutdowns is tempting the powers to be.

Of course that is just me. Once I had everything back in I would then use a tool like Macrium Reflect to create an Image that I could fall back on. Free, reliable and member recommended.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Then instead of a clean install I would get out my "clean" image if need.

One member's opinion.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 7, 2017
  7. First a correction: "1706" obviously should have been "1607". I eventually did clean installs of 1507 and 1511. Those clean installs fixed some problems but not this "hangup" problem. In fact it put me back to the more frequent hangup situation. And the process of reinstalling and reconfiguring 3rd party software was a royal pain so I chose not to do another clean install again unless things become unbearable. (The products that claim to reinstall and reconfigure software automatically don't seem to know about the music notation software, the sound libraries, the HTML editors, etc. that I use daily.)

pokeefe0001, Nov 7, 2017
  8. Exes stop executing after a while

To fix the associations do the following:

• Please open a new Notepad file.
    • Copy and paste the following into Notepad:
    • Save this as fix.reg, save it to your desktop.
    • Double click fix.reg to run it.
    • Select yes to the registry merge prompt.

Now, try to open a exe file again and it should work

FreeBooter, Nov 7, 2017
  9. Was that posted in the right thread? I don't see how it applies to the problem at hand. I personally would not manually change the registry without knowing exactly how such a change would fix the problem.

pokeefe0001, Nov 7, 2017
  10. What do you thing applies to OP problem, i have supplied registry fix for .exe file extension association.

FreeBooter, Nov 7, 2017
  11. After trying FreeBooters idea I would ditch AV products for a while and use Defender. I would still do clean boot a use products as needed.

What is the make model of the motherboard this system is built on. (question for both posters) Have you check for BIOS updates. Not saying to install BIOS updates but asking are there updates.

I'm really having a hard time figuring how a problem self fixes itself as time goes on for second poster.

FreeBooter would you see the system fixing this file association over time or erasing at some point and restoring itself after a reboot, especially in Ajey (OP) case.

Caledon Ken, Nov 7, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Let's try something really simple- check the disk.

Download and install Hard disk sentinel (trial) and post a screenshot of the result.
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon. Then Browse to your image, select it and upload it. E.g. png, jpg. Thanks.

For more guidance
    Take Screenshot in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials
    How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums Tutorials

- I suspect you know of Laplink PCMover as you mention 3rd party products- that is about 95% successful in my experience- best not used for large programs e.g. Office. But it's proved a huge timesaver (and I have a great many progs installed).

If you maintain a disk image set as we continually and strongly recommend, having that can help you recover to a known point when things start to go wrong- even to a new disk if your disk fails. Images can even be used as the source for Laplink, making that much more convenient in moving programs to a new OS.

However, now we have Win 10, such programs are of much less use, unless trying to rescue programs from a damaged OS and reinstall them on a clean installed OS.

dalchina, Nov 7, 2017
  13. Exes stop executing after a while

I don't pretend to understand the registry changes you suggest, but I think they would be appropriate if there is something wrong with the file association. That might be the case for Ajey but I doubt it. He mentioned that things like reboot don't take effect. He didn't say how he invoked them but I assume from the Stat menu.

I don't know if Ajey's problem is like mine, but for me invoking things from the Start menu or trying to bring up Task Manager using Ctrl-Alt-Delqueue up a request that eventually takes effect ... after a delay of 15-30 minutes. If this is a broken file association then something eventually fixes the association and re-invokes the request. Not very likely in my opinion.

pokeefe0001, Nov 8, 2017
  14. Because we don't know what is causing the issue we have to start with file extension association then if problem not resolved i will ask OP to uninstall antivirus software to see if its causing the problem. One step a time when it comes to troubleshooting PC problems.

FreeBooter, Nov 8, 2017
  15. ajeysp Win User
    Hi,

thanks everyone for so many great ideas and discussion, I feel more confident now that I may be able to solve the problem. Unfortunately busy till the weekend, so try all your suggestions and let you know how it goes.

In the meanwhile here are the specs of my laptop:

Computer Type: PC/Desktop
    OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Version 1607 (OS build 14393.1770)
    CPU: Intel Core i5 6600
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Z170M-D3H-CF (U3E1)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2666MHz DDR4
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 380 Series

ajeysp, Nov 8, 2017
Thema:

Exes stop executing after a while

1. Exes stop executing after a while - Similar Threads - Exes stop executing

2. Auto-Execute EXE in Window When USB Plugged In

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto-Execute EXE in Window When USB Plugged In: Hi,Is there c# code snippet or any way to execute exe program in window when USB is plugged in?Thanks, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/auto-execute-exe-in-window-when-usb-plugged-in/4c5fb3fb-45c7-4317-95ea-7f9faaf2f398
  3. Allow an app or exe to read & execute WindowsApps folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Allow an app or exe to read & execute WindowsApps folder: Hello Microsoft Community,I'm a bit stumped trying to add a permission for a program and an EXE to access WindowsApps folder and subfolders. Adding a new permission doesn't seem possible or, as it looks to me, greyed out. I am using an administrator account. I've checkedWhy...
  4. Auto-Execute EXE When USB Plugged In

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Auto-Execute EXE When USB Plugged In: Is there any way to auto-execute an exe program without using any 3rd party software?I want to execute a Software when a USB device is plugged in.As soon as I plugin the USB the exe should execute and will show a Welcome Screen GUI.The application is developed in .NET Core...
  5. To stop antimalware service executable

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    To stop antimalware service executable: I am having windows 10 home operating system and from few days this "Anti malware service excutable" is running in background. This msmpeng.exe is always auto starting and highly using cpu resources eventually making the system slow as ****. I tried all the methods possible...
  6. Error executing exe file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Error executing exe file: Every time I try to download something by running an exe file, the computer keeps rebooting. It always reboot during download after running exe file. What should i do fix the problem? Pls help me.. submitted by /u/gevatte [link] [comments]...
  7. xshxkrjuppw(stop)exe

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    xshxkrjuppw(stop)exe: xshxkrjuppw(stop)exe is this a known application in MS Windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/xshxkrjuppwstopexe/4206f7d6-2bb7-4835-a9b9-fcfa8f95bc7b
  8. Error 0xc000007b when executing an .exe file

Error 0xc000007b when executing an .exe file: I am trying to run an .exe file but it comes up with that error. When I first got it, it wanted me to install MSVCP140D.dll, vcruntime140d.dll, and ucrtbased.dll, so I downloaded them off dll-files and put them in system32 and syswow64, also I installed Windows SDK. Now it is...
  9. RUN won't 'execute' EXE files

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    RUN won't 'execute' EXE files: Since 1803 was loaded on 3 of my Dell laptops (various models) I've discovered that the RUN function (under Windows Start Button) won't "run" an EXE file that is located in my download folder. Same response on 3 different laptops. I have a history of the APP for these EXEs...
  10. No exe can be executed

No exe can be executed: Hello. I tried to execute an exe file created by the compilation of code in MS Visual studio 2015 but it doesn't work. Every time i try to execute it stucks. Specifically in command prompt, Ctrl+C doesn't work. Then I tried to compile the code in other apps. But the...