Windows 10: exFAT 1tb Thumb Drive showing files but they are missing

Discus and support exFAT 1tb Thumb Drive showing files but they are missing in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I backed up some files to a 1tb thumb drive I never had a issue with. The files copied over with no issues.I went to check on some of them today &... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Cowski, May 27, 2024.

1. Cowski Win User

exFAT 1tb Thumb Drive showing files but they are missing

I backed up some files to a 1tb thumb drive I never had a issue with. The files copied over with no issues.I went to check on some of them today & although the sub-folders are there, they are empty. The odd thing about this is it shows ~480gb used in the Disk Management Properties but I'm not sure where these ~480gb of files are at!I've tried different ports, I've tried rebooting and different ports again. Even plugging directly into the back of my computer. Same results.Oh...and I did try the thumb drive on another computer. Same results. What can I do to get these files back?Thank

:)

Cowski, May 27, 2024
  2. BarışTr Win User

usb drive broken after trying to format it as exfat

I needed my 64gb usb thumb drive at full capacity after using it as windows format drive which made it 32gb drive. Windows showed a window saying format failed while I was waiting it to be in exfat format. I tried to use disk manager and list disk thing but It doesn't show up anywhere. Windows 11 just deleted it

BarışTr, May 28, 2024
  3. Files inside exFAT formatted USB flash drive are missing.

WHAT?? I can't believe I'm hearing this from a "Microsoft" person!!!

FAT32 and ExFAT are legacy file format systems which are universally supported (less so for ExFAT) and certainly all Windows including the latest Windows 10 support them.

Only limitation from the latest bunch of Windows (i.e., from 7 onwards) is that it needs the system drive to be NTFS. All other (external) drives can be either NTFS, ExFAT or FAT32.

In fact, most of the thumb drives come pre-formatted with FAT32 till date because that's what is supported by several other devices (read TV, media-box, etc).

@Mushthaq,

It's more than a year now and hence not sure if this will help you. It seems like the issue you are facing is due to ExFAT which is not as universally supported as the FAT32. It's possible that the device you used to copy files into the drive Vs the one
    that you are trying to read has compatibility issues. Switch over to FAT32 (if you don't have files larger than 4 GB) and this issue should go away.

Cheers!

Mohan Ram Bala, May 28, 2024
  4. exFAT 1tb Thumb Drive showing files but they are missing

Formating to exFAT

Hi Taylor,

If you want to format an external hard drive or USB flash drive in exFAT, you can follow these steps:

• Press and hold Windows key + x on your keyboard. This open the context menu.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type format g: /FS:exFAT and then Enter to begin formatting the G drive as exFAT
    For any query, feel free to reach us.

Marque Lor, May 28, 2024
Thema:

exFAT 1tb Thumb Drive showing files but they are missing

1. exFAT 1tb Thumb Drive showing files but they are missing - Similar Threads - exFAT 1tb Thumb

2. exFAT 1tb Thumb Drive showing files but they are missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    exFAT 1tb Thumb Drive showing files but they are missing: I backed up some files to a 1tb thumb drive I never had a issue with. The files copied over with no issues.I went to check on some of them today & although the sub-folders are there, they are empty. The odd thing about this is it shows ~480gb used in the Disk Management...
  3. exFAT 1tb Thumb Drive showing files but they are missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    exFAT 1tb Thumb Drive showing files but they are missing: I backed up some files to a 1tb thumb drive I never had a issue with. The files copied over with no issues.I went to check on some of them today & although the sub-folders are there, they are empty. The odd thing about this is it shows ~480gb used in the Disk Management...
  4. ACCESSING FILE ON THUMB DRIVE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ACCESSING FILE ON THUMB DRIVE: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." The file is Mozilla Thunderbird e-mail program residing on a SanDisk external 32G drive.I am a participant in Windows Insider - just recently updated...
  5. ACCESSING FILE ON THUMB DRIVE

ACCESSING FILE ON THUMB DRIVE: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." The file is Mozilla Thunderbird e-mail program residing on a SanDisk external 32G drive.I am a participant in Windows Insider - just recently updated...
  6. Files not showing on exfat hdd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Files not showing on exfat hdd: Hi guys. Hopefully you can help me out. I have a HDD which I formatted to exfat. I downloaded a few videos to it from Mac, which I could then use with my kodi player that I have installed on my PC. I then downloaded a few more and wanted to test them too, but they were not...
  7. Thumb Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Thumb Drives: How do I use a thumb drive to transfer data from Windows 7 to Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thumb-drives/8b697fba-9f37-417b-a867-1443e9150438
  8. Copying music files to a thumb drive

Copying music files to a thumb drive: I have downloaded music from googles music site, using their google player app on my MS Surface Book 2. Now I would like to copy these music files to a thumb drive so I can play them in my car. I have no idea how to do this. If anyone can help me, would be most...
  9. missing thumbs and previews on jpg files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    missing thumbs and previews on jpg files: Few weeks ago my computer stopped showing thumbs on jpc photos, also I can not see them in preview. How can I fix this? I have allready been in view and tried to change from preview pane to detail preview without any change. I have tried to make photos as first choise of...
  10. thumb drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    thumb drives: Upgraded to windows 10, plugged in a thumb drive but have no idea how to open the drive 27165