Windows 10: ExFAT

Discus and support ExFAT in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have Samsung SSD with exFAT file system.Can I use for Win10 download? 8215 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by davew, Jul 13, 2015.

1. davew Win User

ExFAT

I have Samsung SSD with exFAT file system.Can I use for Win10 download?

:)

davew, Jul 13, 2015
  2. Zaphod83 Win User

New to Windows 10 and struggling.

Hm, what's the file system on the HDD?

If you have another external HDD, format that one with exFAT and copy your files over, then plug the exFAT one into the Windows computer.

Or copy the files to your Mac, format the HDD with exFAT, copy your files back.

exFAT is a good way to use an external HDD on both Windows and Mac.

Zaphod83, Jul 13, 2015
  3. Windows 10 - formatting external drives to FAT16/32

FAT32 maxes out 32 GBs, so, you will either need to choose NTFS or exFAT. exFAT is supposed to be compatible with FAT32, so I would choose that option. exFAT would also be recommended if you are working with large video files if they are larger than 4
    GBs.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 13, 2015
  4. Vladimir Win User

ExFAT

I really didn't understand what you mean?

Do you want to install Windows 10 on that SSD?

*Huh

Vladimir, Jul 13, 2015
  5. davew Win User
    Yes, I want to install win10 on that SSD, My C drive is on another 500gb ssd but there is only about 175tgb unused on my C drive ssd. So, I want to install win 10 on the empty SSD.

davew, Jul 13, 2015
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    If the drive is large enough you can install Windows 10 there but it must be formatted NTFS. Vista and later (including Windows 10) can only be installed on NTFS.

LMiller7, Jul 13, 2015
  7. CountMike New Member
    Or GPT in case of UEFI Bios.

CountMike, Jul 13, 2015
  8. lx07 Win User

ExFAT

No, Windows can currently only be installed on a NTFS partition and the installation will offer to format it for you if it is not (or say you can't install).

GPT is the partition table type (vs MBR on older versions of Windows). This is not the same as the file system (NTFS, FAT, EXT4 etc) which is defined for each individual partition irrespective of the partition table type (although not in the same way).

You can't install Windows on a ExFAT partition (but you can use an ExFAT partition to run a VM if you wish).

You can download the ISO onto an ExFAT partition (as it will fit within the file system limits) but you can't install it on that partition without formatting it.

9. Vista and Win7 require NTFS, Win8 changed that requirement ... not sure what it means as far as exFat though.

I'd be interested in a test ... if you're willing.

Note that some features will not be available if it does install. I don't think Reparse points are supported in exFat, so you lose all of those legacy folder links that point to the real folder (Application Data points to AppData, My Documents points to Documents.....). I don't think Restore points will work either - anything that needs the System Volume Information folder will be lost (Shadow copies, etc) - not sure on that though.

You could always slice off some space from the SSD (30 GB should be enough to test Win10).

Just create the free space, don't put a file system on it - then install Win10 to that unallocated /raw space.

The only caveat I can think of it how is the system Reserve partition configured.
    please post a screen shot of Disk Management.
    See: How to Post a Screenshot of Disk Management

Back up your data if there's anything you want to preserve in case of failure.

Slartybart, Jul 13, 2015
  10. Vladimir Win User
    So that's quite easy... During install you'll be able to partition/reformat your SSD ! Go for it !

*Smile

Vladimir, Jul 13, 2015
  11. davew Win User
    Thanks to all who replied to my thread. Problem now solved

davew, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

ExFAT

1. ExFAT - Similar Threads - ExFAT

2. Why is Microsoft shipping Windows 11 on exFAT format pen drives?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is Microsoft shipping Windows 11 on exFAT format pen drives?: Hi, this is my use case:- Equipment: brand new hp OMEN16, UEFI and FreeDos- Pen drive: brand new Windows 11 boot files purchased from the windows storeWhen I try to boot my OMEN from the pen drive, the OMEN does not recognize it. I spared 1 day looking for a solution. I found...
  3. Why is Microsoft shipping Windows 11 on exFAT format pen drives?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Microsoft shipping Windows 11 on exFAT format pen drives?: Hi, this is my use case:- Equipment: brand new hp OMEN16, UEFI and FreeDos- Pen drive: brand new Windows 11 boot files purchased from the windows storeWhen I try to boot my OMEN from the pen drive, the OMEN does not recognize it. I spared 1 day looking for a solution. I found...
  4. exFAT files and Windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    exFAT files and Windows: Hi there, as someone who isnt familiar with lots of files ect, I would like some help with a problem I have encountered recently. I bought an microSDcard for my laptop for extra storage I have an Acer Aspire and inserted it with a carrier into a USB reader. The next message...
  5. exFAT files and Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    exFAT files and Windows: Hi there, as someone who isnt familiar with lots of files ect, I would like some help with a problem I have encountered recently. I bought an microSDcard for my laptop for extra storage I have an Acer Aspire and inserted it with a carrier into a USB reader. The next message...
  6. exFAT files and Windows

7. ExFAT Checksums Question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ExFAT Checksums Question: Hi,According to the ExFAT filesystem specification https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/exfat-specification, ExFAT stores checksums of all files and directories in the filesystem. Is there any way to validate that for a given ExFAT filesystem, the stored...
  8. ExFAT Checksums Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ExFAT Checksums Question: Hi,According to the ExFAT filesystem specification https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/exfat-specification, ExFAT stores checksums of all files and directories in the filesystem. Is there any way to validate that for a given ExFAT filesystem, the stored...
  9. ExFAT Checksums Question

10. usb drive broken after trying to format it as exfat

usb drive broken after trying to format it as exfat: I needed my 64gb usb thumb drive at full capacity after using it as windows format drive which made it 32gb drive. Windows showed a window saying format failed while I was waiting it to be in exfat format. I tried to use disk manager and list disk thing but It doesn't show up...