Windows 10: Existing child account - how to make a new Admin account

Discus and support Existing child account - how to make a new Admin account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi. I'm getting a bit confused about how to set up child's laptop with me as an Administrator. I've read a few internet articles but they all seem to... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Hazel123, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Hazel123 Win User

Existing child account - how to make a new Admin account

Hi. I'm getting a bit confused about how to set up child's laptop with me as an Administrator. I've read a few internet articles but they all seem to start by assuming that you have set up the computer in your own name first and are then adding a child. I put the child's name in when installing W10 and they currently have a standard user account with a password. When I go into add a family member it asks for a microsoft account email. Now presumably that is asking for the child's microsoft account email (which he doesn't have) - so I assume I don't put my own microsoft account email in there. In which case I can't work out how to set up an account as an adult admin on a family account, without creating a microsoft account for the child first. Any tips please!

:)

Hazel123, Oct 15, 2015

2. Windows Phone 8.1 - Unable to install any apps as a child

A new or existing adult account works. A new or existing child account does not work. I can make the Windows Store work with an adult account, but in that case I lose all control and my child (the user of the phone) disconnects from the family account,
    can no longer sync settings or files through OneDrive. This is not a good solution, but it can be a last-resort backup.

Deniz Tortop, Oct 15, 2015
  3. Changing Administrator account in windows 10

I don't want to add child account. I want to remove admin account and add new admin account. your answer helps in creating a child account not admin.

Thank you

sukeshreddyarmoor, Oct 15, 2015
  4. joya Win User

By default, the user account that was set up during Windows 10 installation should be an administrative account. Windows seems to only allow to create a standard or limited account after logging into Windows. How do you know the account you've added is a standard account?

5. Hazel123 Win User
    Thanks! I've gone back to Windows 7 now - there was no driver for screen resolution for that particular machine. If they start making a GMA 3600 driver I will reinstall with my own name on the computer set up and then add the child afterwards.

Hazel123, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Existing child account - how to make a new Admin account - Similar Threads - Existing child account

2. Removing Admin access to Child's account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing Admin access to Child's account: I have a Windows 10 computer with three accounts. My personal account, a childs account, and an admin account. I logged onto the child's account and I wanted to move some files. However, I received a message that I need admin privilege's, so I put in the password to move the...
  3. Signing into account prompts message that account doesn't exist, when making new account...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Signing into account prompts message that account doesn't exist, when making new account...: When I try signing into my Microsoft account, it tells me that "That Microsoft account doesn't exist. Enter a different account or get a new one". However, when I try to make a new account with the same email, it says that "You may already have an account", presumably the one...
  4. Childs account linked to local user admin account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Childs account linked to local user admin account: Hi,I use a local account in windows 11 which has administer privileges. After I had logged my child into the xbox app their email address has been associated with the local account and now all the child safe settings have been applied to the local admin account and I can't...
  5. Childs account linked to local user admin account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Childs account linked to local user admin account: Hi,I use a local account in windows 11 which has administer privileges. After I had logged my child into the xbox app their email address has been associated with the local account and now all the child safe settings have been applied to the local admin account and I can't...
  6. How to make an app run without admin on a Child account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to make an app run without admin on a Child account: I want my Msi Afterburner to run without the need to log into admin. Its a standard account so it doesn't have admin. And I'll be forgetting my password for admin forever so I just need to figure out how to make certain apps launch without the need of admin. Please help...
  7. Local Admin Account hijacked by child's Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Local Admin Account hijacked by child's Microsoft account: Hi, When we originally set up our shared home computer, we set it up with just a local account because we didn't feel it necessary for each of the 5 people in our house to have to log in separately. But when my 12 year old daughter created a Microsoft account for a game or...
  8. Account not existing/ unable to make new account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Account not existing/ unable to make new account: Deleted my account to make a new one, instead now I can't do anything account related says the account doesn't exist and I can't make a new one, says my pone number is already linked to an account, forces me to sign into the old account, which it regents because it doesn't...
  9. Adding an existing family account child to a new laptop

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Adding an existing family account child to a new laptop: I have a new laptop and I want to give my child who is already in my Microsoft Family access. How do it? I don't want to send him an invitation because he already exists....
  10. How to change admin account to child account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to change admin account to child account: Hi I recently upgraded a HP computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10 pro using the Windows update/free Upgrade. How can I change my childs admin account to a child account? The account is registered With a Microsoft account and i have added my Microsoft account as a...