Windows 10: Expanding / adding disks RAID 10

Discus and support Expanding / adding disks RAID 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Not sure where to post this. I have windows 10 Pro. I'm about to upgrade my RAID and am going with (4) 8TB HGST He's I am presently using (4) 6TB WD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by thacrow, Apr 11, 2017.

1. thacrow Win User

Expanding / adding disks RAID 10

Not sure where to post this. I have windows 10 Pro. I'm about to upgrade my RAID and am going with (4) 8TB HGST He's

I am presently using (4) 6TB WD red NAS drives in windows Storage Spaces utilizing a two-way mirror and it's my understanding it can only withstand 1 drive failure. I would like to be able withstand 2 drive failures, granted the 2nd drive failure needs to be the correct one to not break the raid, and also want to take advantage of the speed of RAID 10.

I purchased a SAS controller and plan to do a software raid in windows disk manager so if the controller fails I do not have to worry about getting the same controller. I do not care about the CPU load.

I am wondering if the disk manager in Windows (not Storage Spaces) can support expanding RAID 10 so I can add disks later, or if I'll need to migrate it later....at which point i guess I'd just order more drives now, but was trying to save money by being able to add drives later when this RAID starts to fill up - just like you can add drives to storage spaces.

Thanks all!

:)

thacrow, Apr 11, 2017

2. Refresh Windows 10 OS without losing raid 1 (software) data

I have a Windows 10 64 bit computer with software raid 1 configured (Windows 10 built in raid 1) . Working fine for years. I need to do a complete refresh of Windows 10 and would prefer not to lose the data on the raid 1 disks. I always do a complete
    refresh electing not to save any configuration, applications or documents. I want to know if there is a refresh Windows 10 and reconfigure the raid 1 disks w/o losing my data. (I plan to back up all the data on the raid 1 disks just to be safe but I would
    prefer not to be forced to copy 1 TB of data back to the raid 1 disks.)

Is it possible?

Sparky4460, Apr 11, 2017
  3. Will I be able to "reacquire" my storage spaces setup after reinstalling?

So, I know that I will need to reinstall windows soon, to make this story short I will just go to what that implies.

I have 3 1TB HDD's setup in RAID 1 (I think), since win 10 didn't have the mirroring option in disk manager I had to use storage spaces.

What I want to know is will I be able to just reinstall my OS, and then remake the RAID 1? Or will I need to move all of the data off the disk(s) before I do that.

Also, will I be able to copy all of my data from one disk while running 10. Say I just get my new Win 10 installation set up, and I plug in one of the 3 HDD's, will I see all my data? I heard that win 7 "doesn't understand" storage spaces, so that has me
    a bit concerned, is the "RAID 1" encrypted? Also, I initially had 2 identical 1TB disks, I set them up in a two way mirror, I later added a third 1TB disk that is basically similar only in capacity, port, and possibly performance. I have noticed that storage
    spaces still says "two way mirror", also there is a very small difference in % used between the disks. 3.70%, 2.79% and 2.74%. The 3.7% belong to the last disk added to the set.

Are my disks still in RAID 1? Or did storage spaces change that one I added a disk?

I have 2 screenshots of my settings that should give necessary details, in case my post didn't have them already. Not much data on disks, but it would be annoying to re-download all of it.

Not sure how images are usually added to these posts. 1 Here: http://puu.sh/p5RsW/5c98ee536f.png 2nd Here: http://puu.sh/p5Rur/165cb9909b.png

The_Engineer_, Apr 11, 2017
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

This article shows how to do it

How to set up RAID in Windows 10 - Windows 10 - Toms Hardware

Software RAID in Windows is actually called Storage spaces but they DO actually work efficiently and can dynamically handle the equivalent of software RAID 10 via Mirroring . Resiliency and Striping.

Windows was never good for software raid - but these days unless you have expensive SAS controllers and the HDD's to go with them Software RAID is usually far better than using cheapish consumer grade RAID controllers and HDD's.

Without using Storage spaces you can use Spanned volumes which treats the whole HDD setup as "JBOD" i.e just a bunch of Disks but whether you can dynamically add more to a spanned volume set -- don't know --it's been ages since I used these.

These days also the chances of multiple HDD failures are so small that unless you are running something that can NEVER EVER fail with disastrous consequences I wouldn't bother with DOUBLE protection on the arrays -- but of course YMMV.

I'm actually using 2 RAID 0 arrays of 2 HDD's in each array of 2 X 4TB - speed is blazingly fast -- I'm not worried about losing data as I back up the stuff regularly. Of course some people get a bit scared at the idea of RAID 0 but as I've said these days HDD's are eminently reliable - especially for a HOME or non commercial network. Been running this as a NAS server with CENTOS 7 as the OS. No fails - runs 24/7 last boot several months ago when I upgraded the HDD's from 4 X 2 TB to 4 X 4 TB.

If you ever decide to use LINUX say for a NAS server it's simple - built in kernel facility mdadm and HDD's can be all sorts of DIFFERENT sizes too --even for RAID 0 and RAID 10 - but that's another issue !!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 11, 2017
  5. thacrow Win User
    I'm actually using storage spaces now but as I understand it, in a two-way mirror I can only lose one drive. In a three-way mirror I can only lose two drives. I have lost two drives in the 2 years that I have had (4) 6TB WD red drives on my two-way mirror in storage spaces. So part of this is going with Enterprise HGST SAS drives because they have a super low failure rate.

In RAID 10, I can lose half my drives granted I got really lucky and lost the right ones - and then plus there is a speed benefit that I really want to take advantage of.

But I would be using disk manager and not storage spaces. btw the article you linked very briefly talks about creating a RAID in storage spaces which does not do RAID 10. And it has a screen shot of disk manager and not storage spaces. I do not think you really read my post and you just wanted to mention you have a raid 0 with embedded raid 0. Which is cool. and I would do that with a system drive, just not my storage RAID.

My question is, can i add drives later to RAID 10 in disk manager and re-balance the RAID as you can re-balance, or 'optimize' in storage spaces?

thacrow, Apr 12, 2017
  6. thacrow Win User
    Found the answer in case anyone is wondering. Storage Spaces treats each mirror like a single drive. That's why you can only have a single drive fail in a two way mirror even if you have 4,6, or 8 disks.

This makes sense when you consider that you can plug anything in and storage spaces can use it no matter the drive size; any external USB drive - AND it does not lower the capacity of all other drives to equal that of the lowest common denominator. Very convenient and easy to use. Very consumer grade though.

thacrow, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Expanding / adding disks RAID 10 - Similar Threads - Expanding adding disks

2. Expand 1st volume in disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Expand 1st volume in disk: hello,i have a physical server with windows server 2016 and i have 3 volumes on disk. Systems Reserved, C, And F in that order. Volume C is running out of space but if add a HDD the unallocated space will go in front of volume F and C wont have the option to extend. Is there...
  3. Expand the disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Expand the disk: I divided the volume, after that there were reinstallations of Windows. how to return to the previous size https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/expand-the-disk/b76cac5e-243b-486e-934b-89f6aacef5b8
  4. Expand the disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Expand the disk: I divided the volume, after that there were reinstallations of Windows. how to return to the previous size https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/expand-the-disk/b76cac5e-243b-486e-934b-89f6aacef5b8
  5. Expand the disk

6. Expand local disk c

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Expand local disk c: I want to expand local disk C on surface 7 pro. The expand option is not available. I cannot turn off the bitlocker. The option to turn of the bitlocker does not exist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/expand-local-disk-c/415a831b-896a-4cad-8b03-71144c6c3761
  7. Expand local disk c

Expand local disk c: I want to expand local disk C on surface 7 pro. The expand option is not available. I cannot turn off the bitlocker. The option to turn of the bitlocker does not exist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/expand-local-disk-c/415a831b-896a-4cad-8b03-71144c6c3761
  8. Expanding a boot disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Expanding a boot disk: Is it possible to extend the C drive to other drives? I am running low on space on my boot drive and I recently installed a 2 TB HDD. i just need to know if i can extend my C drive to my E drive. the 2 TB one my disks in Disk Management look like this: Disk 0 Dynamic...
  9. Non RAID disks show as removable but RAID disks show as normal

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Non RAID disks show as removable but RAID disks show as normal: Hi everyone! I researched a lot over this problem, but I cannot figure out how to resolve it. Motherboard: Intel DP55WB, BIOS version: 0336 BIOS has 3 options for hard drives: IDE, RAID, AHCI In Windows 10 Pro x64 If I select AHCI in BIOS all disks show as internals, but...
  10. Adding a SATA RAID card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Adding a SATA RAID card: I'm wondering if I've made a schoolboy error here... I'm trying to add more disks to my desktop and have run out of SATA ports the motherboard has 6. I've just added a SATA RAID card (Semlos 4 Ports PCI Sata Internal Raid Controller Card Sil3114 Chipset with 2 Sata...