Windows 10: Expanding SSD Partition Size

Discus and support Expanding SSD Partition Size in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Samsung 850 EVO 500g SSD that was originally made to house two partitions, C: and D:. I've migrated all my files from D: to another drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by riqrat, Dec 18, 2016.

1. riqrat Win User

Expanding SSD Partition Size

I have a Samsung 850 EVO 500g SSD that was originally made to house two partitions, C: and D:.

I've migrated all my files from D: to another drive and have unallocated the D: drive.

But now I'm having trouble allocating all the space now recovered from D: to the C: drive.

The problem is that between the C: and the unallocated space is a partition of 450mb that says "Healthy (Recovery Partition)".

How do I expand my C: to take up all the available disk space (currently 322gb available!) ?

Thanks.

:)

riqrat, Dec 18, 2016

2. Windows fails to show size of new SSD.

The disk manager shows the correct size for your SSD but the system partition is still the old size. You have about 330 GBytes of unallocated space. You now need to expand the system partition to take up the unallocated space.

Frederik Long, Dec 18, 2016
  3. slance310 Win User
    Windows fails to show size of new SSD.

Hi,

The problem is caused by the Cloning\Imaging program you used...

It made your 1st two partition the same size as the 120GB SSD, but expanded the 459MB or so Recovery partition to fill up the space...

You might try deleting everything on the new SSD and trying again and look for different options... Or use a different program...

slance310, Dec 18, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Install MiniTool Partition Wizard:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

Move the 450MB Recovery Partition to the end of the drive. Then you can expand C: drive into the empty space. Don't forget to click the apply button. MiniTool will probably want to reboot the computer to expand the C: drive partition - it will look scary when it reboots, but don't worry about, it'll be OK. Although since it is expanding C: drive and not shrinking it, it might not need to reboot.

You can also use MiniTool Partition Wizard to re-assign drive letters, if you want to, although you can also use Windows built-in disk management to do that.

NavyLCDR, Dec 18, 2016
  5. riqrat Win User
    Well that was easy. Whew! Thanks again.

riqrat, Dec 18, 2016
  6. AddRAM Win User
    Create yourself a Partition Wizard Boot CD, it`s the best tool in the box *Smile

AddRAM, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Expanding SSD Partition Size - Similar Threads - Expanding SSD Partition

2. Cannot expand partition size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot expand partition size: Hi,I messed up my partitions and now find myself without space on my C disk, which is creating all sorts of issues. I have tried EaseUS partition manager and AOMEI partition assistant with no luck.It seems that the problem is the disk I want to expand with the non assigned...
  3. Cannot expand partition size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot expand partition size: Hi,I messed up my partitions and now find myself without space on my C disk, which is creating all sorts of issues. I have tried EaseUS partition manager and AOMEI partition assistant with no luck.It seems that the problem is the disk I want to expand with the non assigned...
  4. Is partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to partition a SSD...

Is partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to partition a SSD...: Is manually partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to manually partition a SSD at all? Or should I just let windows automatically partition only the ones that are needed?...
  5. Error when trying to expand partition size

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error when trying to expand partition size: I am trying to partititon the unallocated space to new volume d: but whenever I try to do that I get this error: what is happening? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-when-trying-to-expand-partition-size/d1975c5a-5dcf-4eb7-aee8-20f7388c6c17
  6. Error when trying to expand partition size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error when trying to expand partition size: I am trying to partititon the unallocated space to new volume d: but whenever I try to do that I get this error: what is happening? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-when-trying-to-expand-partition-size/d1975c5a-5dcf-4eb7-aee8-20f7388c6c17
  7. Error when trying to expand partition size

8. Expand partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Expand partition: I have 46 gb of unallocated space on my ssd. I want to expand my C drive, but the recovery partition is between C and the unallocated space. Can I delete the recovery partition and expand C, then re-create the recovery partition?...
  9. Expand partition

Expand partition: I have 46 gb of unallocated space on my ssd. I want to expand my C drive, but the recovery partition is between C and the unallocated space. Can I delete the recovery partition and expand C, then re-create the recovery partition?...
  10. Cant expand ssd /C partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cant expand ssd /C partition: For some reason i cant expand the partition. Please help im only able to use 28gb [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-expand-ssd-c-partition/d56d74f7-0ac4-43cb-a05e-042a837cf115

Users found this page by searching for:

1. replace ssd expand c partition

2. samsung ssd expand c: partition