Windows 10: Experts Says Free Windows 10 Would Be a Risky Experiment

Discus and support Experts Says Free Windows 10 Would Be a Risky Experiment in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft hasn’t yet unveiled the pricing model that it wants to adopt for Windows 10, but some sources familiar with the company’s plans indicated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Jan 13, 2015.

1. labeeman Win User

Experts Says Free Windows 10 Would Be a Risky Experiment

More

:)

labeeman, Jan 13, 2015

2. Risky Way to Free Space

Recently, I've discovered that I've had slightly less free space on my laptop than I normally would. Tonight, I've discovered I have over 31 GB of used space, 23 of which is reserved for "System & reserved". I'm tempted to remove the system files; but
    it says my PC won't work without them. This worries me that it may not function properly if I do.

Here are the screenshots to back up my concern:

Experts Says Free Windows 10 Would Be a Risky Experiment [​IMG]

Is there a safe way I can remove all that space?

I look forward to your reply.

CTWarmbrodt, Jan 13, 2015
  3. 'Mike P Win User
    Risky Way to Free Space

When you run disk cleanup ... it will have a button after the first scan to clean system files too... so it then does a second more thorough scan and presents with a more robust series of check boxes to select from.... Additionally after that second scan
    you can click the tab for More Options and clean up all but your last restore point too.

If you don't run backups or keep a system image you might additionally run this;

Command Prompt (admin)

wmic shadowcopy delete

There is an additional command you might be interested in too. Could be some bytes there.

But before running it, many say to stop Windows Search service temporarly;

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

Manually running the system maintenance can be beneficial at times to clean up some things too.

Control Panel / Security and Maintenance / click on maintenance and you should see System Maintenance.

'Mike P, Jan 13, 2015
  4. Experts Says Free Windows 10 Would Be a Risky Experiment

Yea I doubt Microsoft is going to do anything differently than when 8 was released so dream a little dream but Microsoft rarely gives anything away for free,
    They might giveaway free phones *Tongue

ThrashZone, Jan 13, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    Yes,, Free is not in the cards IMO. I just hope for a fair price for early adopters.

BunnyJ, Jan 13, 2015
  6. That is realistic Jeff
    I doubt Microsoft will limit it to testers but for the first month or so a discounted upgrade only option,
    That is Microsoft's ultimate goal for people to "upgrade" a prior os version,
    Not sure why Microsoft would exclude any prior os's like Vista or x-p either if system spec's are compatible
    Or would those holdouts be an obvious skip :/

ThrashZone, Jan 13, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    The trick with free is deciding who would qualify for it and who wouldn't. In that situation MS can't please everyone so the in the end they'll simply charge everyone some price.

BunnyJ, Jan 13, 2015
  8. Experts Says Free Windows 10 Would Be a Risky Experiment

I believe I'm going to re-install 8-8.1 and use the tool kit to use windows update to get 10 in anticipation of the upgrade offer discount *Wink
    It pains me to load that thing back up but that is the expendable os either that or an old Vista key *Tongue
    It would be more straight forward to allow the prior/ expendable os activation key to activate 10 with
    But for Microsoft might be a bit too straight forward ?

ThrashZone, Jan 13, 2015
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    I've got my PC set up with a dual boot of Win8.1 and Win10(for testing). If Win10 is a inexpensive or free upgrade from Win8.1 I'm all set to go!! *Biggrin

BunnyJ, Jan 13, 2015
  10. If MS really want to eliminate as many prior versions of Windows as possible, they could offer a huge discount on W10 if you return your official Windows install media ("factory cash back").

If they used the "factory cash back" model it wouldn't upset the retailers.

lehnerus2000, Jan 14, 2015
  11. groze Win User
    lehnerus2000
    How would that work for OEM computers?
    A lot of people don't have a windows install media, most come pre-installed.
    Post edited

groze, Jan 14, 2015
  12. It wouldn't (unless you had discs).

I'm not sure what you mean.

It would be a bonus for MS (i.e. they wouldn't have to pay out).

The point would be to eliminate install media (DVDs) for old versions of Windows.
    Laptop recovery partitions are going to wear out sooner or later.

lehnerus2000, Jan 14, 2015
  13. Experts Says Free Windows 10 Would Be a Risky Experiment

Of course, it will be.

Fahadking07, Jan 14, 2015
  14. groze Win User
    It would be a bonus for MS (i.e. they wouldn't have to pay out).

The point would be to eliminate install media (DVDs) for old versions of Windows.
    Laptop recovery partitions are going to wear out sooner or later. That would tick OEM users off. I lucked out and dell sent me a re-installation disk of windows 7 but it was like pulling teeth to get it. Come to find out later, the slowness was cause by a bad motherboard. Microsoft also needs to included the OEM users as well.

I edited my previous post, it is kind of hard to put somethings in writing.

What about this way
    $10.00 (U.S. dollars) Windows 10 Home Premium (Get it windows 10 for $10.00 for home users)
    $50.00 Windows 10 Pro
    $xxx.xx Windows 10 enterprise
    No subscriptions required

This would be for everyone & you could change architecture if you do a clean install.

groze, Jan 14, 2015
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

What a boring planet we would live on if people didn't sometimes take a risk --applies to businesses too. Go on Ms - you could say let the first 250,000 downloaders do it to limit the numbers and use BITTORRENT to stop your servers crashing or getting overloaded. Bittorrent is a perfectly legitimate way of downloading (Legal) material - I often download Linux distros etc that way - not a problem at all if the torrents come from 100% legitimate sites.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 14, 2015
Thema:

Experts Says Free Windows 10 Would Be a Risky Experiment

1. Experts Says Free Windows 10 Would Be a Risky Experiment - Similar Threads - Experts Says Free

2. Minecraft Windows 10 Purchased But it says Free Trial

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Minecraft Windows 10 Purchased But it says Free Trial: I have a problem.I recently got a new pc after setting up the pc i login into microsoft store and tried to download minecraft windows 10 but then it only has the button play trial and not install.In this account I already purchased Minecraft Windows 10 I need help i have not...
  3. Minecraft Windows 10 Purchased But it says Free Trial

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft Windows 10 Purchased But it says Free Trial: I have a problem.I recently got a new pc after setting up the pc i login into microsoft store and tried to download minecraft windows 10 but then it only has the button play trial and not install.In this account I already purchased Minecraft Windows 10 I need help i have not...
  4. Minecraft Windows 10 Purchased But it says Free Trial

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Not an expert!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not an expert!: I have a HP laptop that is connected automatically to an unknown network. The unknown net work has set up parental controls. Laptop,phones, Ruku, Xbox , everything! I need help! I already did F11 restart and found my system32 in my x drive. Needless to say it didn’t work....
  6. Microsoft says it will revolutionize Windows 10 user experience

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft says it will revolutionize Windows 10 user experience: Microsoft’s getting ready for some “radical” Windows 10 design changes, according to a series of job listings spotted by us. Microsoft has been working on a major design overhaul for a while, and the company quietly confirmed a “reinvigorating” update in a job posting...
  7. I would love if some Windows 10 experts could chime in with their insights....

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I would love if some Windows 10 experts could chime in with their insights....: submitted by /u/varietist_department [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/esspvy/i_would_love_if_some_windows_10_experts_could/
  8. Would this macrium restore experiment work??

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Would this macrium restore experiment work??: I have a macrium restore image on an external backup drive. Can I configure my pc to use this external drive as a boot up drive to verify that it is in fact a clone of the original drive?? 105037
  9. 'Where To Next'. Is this a risky place to browse.

in Windows 10 Support
    'Where To Next'. Is this a risky place to browse.: If I click 'New Tab' in MS Edge I get presented with a long page of current news items etc. Occasionally I'll scroll down and have a look, sometimes clicking on anything interesting. Twice in the last couple of days I've had odd things happen. One clickable item seemed to...
  10. ReCore free trial experience launches today

in Windows 10 News
    ReCore free trial experience launches today: Hello Far Eden Explorers! It’s been great to see so many people jumping into ReCore and having fun. We’re excited to let you know that, starting today, anyone who hasn’t yet had the opportunity to play ReCore can now experience their first 30 minutes in a special, free...