Windows 10: Explorer context menus immediately over-rides Drag & Drop

Discus and support Explorer context menus immediately over-rides Drag & Drop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The vast majority of the time, whenever I try to drag & drop files from one folder to another while pressing the right mouse button in Explorer (i.e,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Thenin, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Thenin Win User

Explorer context menus immediately over-rides Drag & Drop

The vast majority of the time, whenever I try to drag & drop files from one folder to another while pressing the right mouse button in Explorer (i.e, to change the behavior from the default to either copy or move), the Explorer context menu almost immediately takes over, effectively making drag & drop impossible. *Mad Although every once in a while it works correctly.

This only happens on my 64-bit Windows 10 Pro (1703) machine; my Windows 7 computers work correctly. I've tried increasing the "show menu" delay time, but it didn't help (and I don't think that's what that setting affects).

What's going on and what can I do to fix this? Any ideas?

Thanks!

:)

Thenin, Jan 1, 2018

2. Drag & Drop from taskbar context menus - Windows 10

Hello Barend,

I understand your requirement in this regard.

As informed earlier, the option is currently unavailable on Windows 10. We keep your concern in mind while rolling out new Windows Updates or with new releases.

I appreciate if your could post your feedback using Windows Feedback
    app, which helps us to improve your experience.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance with windows, we're glad to assist you.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jan 1, 2018
  3. Drag & Drop from taskbar context menus - Windows 10

Hi Barend,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

Unfortunately, there is no such option to drag & drop from taskbar context menus.

Use the Windows Feedback app to tell us which features you love, which features you could do without, or when something could be better.

• Go to Start , enter the phrase Windows Feedback, then select Windows Feedback.
    • See if someone else has given similar feedback by entering the topic, such as Microsoft Music.
    • If you find similar feedback, select it, add any details, then select
      Me too.
    • To narrow your search to a specific category, pick the category that most closely matches your feedback (so it gets to the right people quickly). For example, for feedback about the Music app, select Apps > Music.
    • If you don’t find any similar feedback, select New feedback, and choose a topic from
      Select a category and then Select a subcategory.
    • Enter your feedback (the more details the better!), add a screenshot if you can, and you're done.

Do get back to us for any issues pertaining in the future. We will be happy to help.

ThofikhAhamad, Jan 1, 2018
  4. Thenin Win User

When I posted my OP, I hadn't thought about the fact that I'm using the Classic Menus utility in place of Window's default start and other menus. I've been using it for so many years, it slipped my mind.

Anyway, I tried turning Classic off (exiting), but it didn't help.

Thenin, Jan 1, 2018
  5. pepanee Win User
    What do you mean by the part where once you have your items selected, and you use your Right Click to drag them to another location? Once you're moving your Mouse to the other location, something happens? Or are you able to move your Mouse all the way to the location you want to let go of the Mouse Right Click button? You're not able to reach the menu in the picture I attached?

Explorer context menus immediately over-rides Drag & Drop [​IMG]

pepanee, Jan 1, 2018
  6. Thenin Win User
    Hey, thanks a great deal for your reply! I need the help.

First, let me answer your direct question: Yes, I can always see that part of the context menu. And I could theoretically also solve my problem using the "Copy To..." and "Move To..." context menu items, except for the annoying hassle of having to manually navigate to the very folder I already have open in another window.

So I think I should take another stab at explaining my problem... On Windows 7 (and on earlier builds of Windows 10), when I right-click on a file or folder in Explorer and just keep pressing the right mouse button, nothing happens (which is correct). At that point we have two choices:

One: Release the right button without moving the mouse -- this brings up the context menu,at which point we can choose from quite a few options (such as your example of manually selecting "Copy" and then moving to the destination for "Copy Here"). Or...

Two: Drag and Drop the selected items to another visible folder. Now, when you do that, Explorer shows the two additional options of "Copy" or "Move", one of which is in Bold (the default behavior) and the other not bold (the alternate behavior). As you know, Explorer chooses which of the two to bold and make default depending on whether the destination folder is on the same drive letter (move) or a different drive letter (copy). But I don't want to bother examining whether copy or move is the default, so I always explicitly choose what I want to do by right-clicking while I drag and drop. It is exactly this right-clicking that, instead of allowing a drag & drop like it's supposed to do (and does on Win 7), instead pops up the full explorer context menu on my Win 10 computer that is the nasty problem I'm complaining about. When that happens, drag & drop becomes impossible.

So sure, there are alternative methods to copy/move files and folders. But I shouldn't have to use them! Right-click Drag & Drop should work on Win 10 exactly as it does on Win 7.

Note, please, that I'm not blaming Microsoft or Windows 10 for this! There's no question that there's something wrong in some setting or registry value or the like in my particular Win 10 system that's causing this. I somehow messed it up myself, and now I'm asking for help identifying what that something is so that I can fix it.

(I humbly apologize if that long explanation was unnecessary; I certainly don't want to insult anyone's intelligence! It's just that I wanted to express myself more clearly,)

I have to go now, but later I'll try to put together a screen video showing what's going wrong so you can visualize it...

Thenin, Jan 2, 2018
  7. AndreTen Win User
    Thenin, may I suggest alternative way …
    - For copying items press Ctrl and drag selection with (left button) mouse (could be more than one file...)
    - for moving items, press SHIFT and drag selection with (left button) mouse

balloon text will appear, noticing what is to be done...

holding CTRL and drag …………….. holding SHIFT and drag

AndreTen, Jan 2, 2018
  8. pepanee Win User

Okay I think I may understand what you're saying now. No worries about the long post; this is something you want solved, and you will explain as much as possible which is helpful. Whenever you can post the video it would also be pretty helpful.

But what I got from your second post is that when you have files/folders selected and you Click & Drag using the Right Mouse button to another folder, you end up with one of the two Right Click Menus in the other folder. Refer to the attached images. Am I correct?

pepanee, Jan 3, 2018
  9. Thenin Win User
    Thank you, wise sir, for bringing this helpful alternative solution to my attention! I wasn't aware of this approach before!

Please don't think I lack appreciation the value of your contribution, but I suspect that I have more clearly identified the problem and as a result, a different solution to try. You see, my long-winded explanation I gave in my previous post slowly triggered an idea: The behavior I was observing is just what I would see if Explorer "believed",], or more likely, "recognized", that I had briefly released the right-click mouse button for the barest of instants. So it just now dawns on me that perhaps there's a hardware problem with my Trackman Marble mouse! Maybe the internal switch has gone flaky!

I should have tried changing my mouse before posting this reply (sorry for my stupidity!), but I'll try that now and report back...

Thenin, Jan 3, 2018
  10. Thenin Win User
    My considerable gratitude goes out to both pepanee and AndreTen for their great patience and wisdom! *Smile

But I'm extremely embarrassed to confirm that the problem WAS with my ancient wired Trackman Marble all along! *Redface I hooked up a Logitech M570 wireless Trackman instead and found that the problem has vanished (oops...)

I love me my Logitech Trackmen Marbles! In my personal experience, they're the most perfect mice ever made. Naturally, Logitech stopped making them decades ago *sarc So since I couldn't buy replacements, I've been forced to keep using the two I own since the early or mid 1990s. The one connected to my Windows 10 computer has given me decades of perfect use, but, of course, entropy will always triumph in the end...

Thanks to all!

Thenin, Jan 3, 2018
  11. pepanee Win User
    Alright. You're welcome. Glad that you were able to figure out the solution. Hopefully you can find a replacement online one day.
    I searched for: Logitech Trackmen Marbles on Bing, and found many different mice. I even saw Logitech's website that has it: Logitech - Trackman Marble Trackball
    Not sure if that's the same exact style like yours, but I'm sure you can find a replacement on eBay. If you do, make sure you buy it from a seller with many reviews, and most of them being positive.

pepanee, Jan 3, 2018
  12. AndreTen Win User
    Glad to see you solved the problem *Thumbs

AndreTen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Explorer context menus immediately over-rides Drag & Drop - Similar Threads - Explorer context menus

2. Windows 11 Explorer Drag&Drop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Explorer Drag&Drop: After new updates Explorer Drag&Drop function is removed for being unpopular. I think this is a great mistake. Sorry to let you know that I'm gonna quit using Windows after this update. Thanks...
  3. Windows 11 Explorer Drag&Drop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Explorer Drag&Drop: After new updates Explorer Drag&Drop function is removed for being unpopular. I think this is a great mistake. Sorry to let you know that I'm gonna quit using Windows after this update. Thanks...
  4. Disable Taskbar Context Menus for 'press and hold' (drag) ONLY??

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable Taskbar Context Menus for 'press and hold' (drag) ONLY??: Hi, does anyone know if there's way to disable the taskbar context menus from being triggered by 'press and hold' ONLY? I use a regular pc and mouse, not a touchscreen, I don't need the ability to bring up those menus by dragging, but I don't want to disable them entirely, I...
  5. file explorer drag and drop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer drag and drop: After my last update there is no right pane in the file explorer to drag and drop files. Please advise. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-drag-and-drop/f2190733-2938-485c-880e-58d172f73f16
  6. Restore "Explore" Item in Context Menus?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Restore "Explore" Item in Context Menus?: Windows 7 saw the removal of the "Explore" item in the context menus. I know why, it was redundant, but I still would like to restore it. Here's the Recycle Bin context menu in Windows 2000: [ATTACH] And the same context menu in W10 after a bit of editing: [ATTACH]...
  7. Context Menus - (Inconsistencies)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Context Menus - (Inconsistencies): If you're not keen on the 'larger' spacing on some Explorer right click context menus, or, have applied a different 'text size' and, perhaps applied 'Bold' but find that the modifications do not adhere, here's a quick Registry modification to fix that. If you are...
  8. File Explorer has two context menus

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer has two context menus: Why does File Explorer have two differ right click menus? One has arrows at the top and bottom to scroll the menu and the other one is the old style that we have always had which shows up once in awhile. 40327
  9. Delays in File Explorer while drag and drop over nav pane

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Delays in File Explorer while drag and drop over nav pane: I have noticed a GUI issue with File Explorer that is intermittent. It seems to appear at some times, then a Windows update fixes it, then it comes back in another update. The symptom is a long delay when copying files from one File Explorer window to another. What...
  10. Unable to Drag-And-Drop in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Drag-And-Drop in Explorer: I find I'm unable to drag an drop in Explorer. For instance, when I want to extract a file from a zip file I drag to the folder and drop it but it doesn't get placed in the folder. This occurs with any drag and drop procedure. I am however able to copy and paste....