Windows 10: Explorer crash loop after Windows Update on fresh upgrade (Solved)

Discus and support Explorer crash loop after Windows Update on fresh upgrade (Solved) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, I wanted to simultaneously post the problem and solution for anyone else out there who might have had this issue. I did an in place upgrade... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pengland, Aug 18, 2015.

1. pengland Win User

Explorer crash loop after Windows Update on fresh upgrade (Solved)

Hi all,

I wanted to simultaneously post the problem and solution for anyone else out there who might have had this issue. I did an in place upgrade of Windows 7 using a USB key made with the tool Microsoft put out. I chose not to download updates during the install, so after the initial boot, Windows started downloading updates. I reinstalled the latest nVidia drivers/Geforce Experience as well. During the next boot cycle, at some point explorer crashed and the screen flashed black, at which point that process repeats forever. I let it go over an hour just to see what would happen. I believe this is a similar problem to what was discussed over here:
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...-anything.html

The suggestion on that site is to disable 2 Windows Services: Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support and Windows Error Report Service. This didn't work for me, though it appears to have worked for many others.

The culprit for me was Apple's iCloud service. As the taskbar was being populated, this task would load and throw an error message about logging in, at which point the crash loop began. Uninstalling this program solved the issue for me.

I would suggest if anyone else has this issue, to watch what's booting and notice the last thing to load before explorer starts to crash. Hope this helps somebody out there.

:)

pengland, Aug 18, 2015
  2. auggy Win User

[Solved] Explorer crash loop after Windows 10 Anniversary Upgrade

There is only one third party module referenced in the crash, the nvwgf2umx.dll :

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for windows.storage.dll -

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for thumbcache.dll -

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for win32u.dll -

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for user32.dll -

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for twinui.dll -

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for sppc.dll -

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for windows.immersiveshell.serviceprovider.dll -

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for twinui.pcshell.dll -

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for wlidprov.dll -

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for winhttp.dll -

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for
    nvwgf2umx.dll
    -

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for ws2_32.dll -

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for wpncore.dll -

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for ucrtbase.dll -

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for Windows.UI.Shell.dll -

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for Windows.Internal.Shell.Broker.dll -

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for wlanapi.dll -

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for TetheringStation.dll -

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for twinapi.appcore.dll -

Probably caused by : windows.storage.dll ( windows_storage!Ordinal764+14fa )

As the
    nvwgf2umx.dll
    is a component of the NVIDIA graphic driver would indicate an issue with the NVIDIA graphic driver.

You could try temporarily renaming the nvwgf2umx.dll in the C:\Windows\System32 folder to something like nvwgf2umx.old and the log out and log back in again.

If the error stops that would show the issue is with that module.

auggy, Aug 18, 2015
  3. zdzdz2305 Win User
    [Solved] Explorer crash loop after Windows 10 Anniversary Upgrade

After the Anniversary Upgrade explorer.exe crashes endlessly.

Tried sfc /scannow and DISM and nothing.

The only solution was to disable the Windows Error Reporting Service but that doesn't answer the question why it actually crashes.

Here are the crash dumps:
    https://mega.nz/#!lgVVRJ6K!uvUjisqyi5yKR_Wdf3xoNfVZE_HIDFEWmjy03XIdcog

I get error c00000fd stack overflow. Faulting file is windows.storage.dll or SHCore.dll

I completely removed the nVidia driver. Again crash. Installed the latest drivers. Crash continues. But in Safe Mode there is no crash.

zdzdz2305, Aug 18, 2015
  4. Juanboy2k Win User

I too had this anamoly this morning after 4 updates. Curiously I was unable to remove 3081441. At any rate I disabled the icloud and icloud photo startups in ms config and the situation was resolved.

Juanboy2k, Aug 18, 2015
Thema:

1. Explorer crash loop after Windows Update on fresh upgrade (Solved) - Similar Threads - Explorer crash loop

2. Windows explorer crashing in a loop after signing in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer crashing in a loop after signing in: Hello, my computer was working fine yesterday, but today I got on and signed in and windows explorer just crashed over and over. Everytime my GPU usage would spike to 100%, not sure if that's relevant. I checked event viewer and four events kept repeating over and over. The...
  3. Windows explorer crashing in a loop after signing in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows explorer crashing in a loop after signing in: Hello, my computer was working fine yesterday, but today I got on and signed in and windows explorer just crashed over and over. Everytime my GPU usage would spike to 100%, not sure if that's relevant. I checked event viewer and four events kept repeating over and over. The...
  4. Windows explorer crashing in a loop after signing in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. After update, computer crashes in a loop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After update, computer crashes in a loop.: After new update, my computer keeps rebooting to blue screen in a constant loop. I have followed directions to start in safe mode, but nothing works. It goes to blue screen after logo appears and reboots. How do I fix this problem?...
  6. After update, computer crashes in a loop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After update, computer crashes in a loop.: After new update, my computer keeps rebooting to blue screen in a constant loop. I have followed directions to start in safe mode, but nothing works. It goes to blue screen after logo appears and reboots. How do I fix this problem?...
  7. After update, computer crashes in a loop.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. explorer crash loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    explorer crash loop: Everytime I start my computer, I get a windows explrorer crash loop, it crashes, restarts and crashes again every few seconds. It stops after about 10 minutes and then starts normally.I have tried sfc and dism. I have tried clean boot and it still happened, in safe mode it...
  9. file explorer crashing in loop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer crashing in loop: so my explorer.exe is just crashing in a loop i cant click on my task bar or desktop because it'll blink to black every few seconds. ive tried dism. all i can do at this point is open task manager cant access cmd or files because they just close also cant click on start...
  10. Stuck in explorer crash loop

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck in explorer crash loop: Hello! Today, out of nowhere, I started having problems with explorer. When right-clicking on the desktop (or icons on it) explorer would crash and restart itself a few seconds later (icons disappear, taskbar disappears, etc...). I looked for a solution online and many...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. explorer crash loop ucrtbase