Windows 10: Explorer Crashes when reading disk

Discus and support Explorer Crashes when reading disk in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ever since I upgraded to W10, I get this problem wherein if I insert a disk in either of my two optical drivers, it would take Windows forever to read... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by djdelarosa25, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Explorer Crashes when reading disk

Ever since I upgraded to W10, I get this problem wherein if I insert a disk in either of my two optical drivers, it would take Windows forever to read them and if I click them before they complete loading, Windows would become unresponsive and Explorer would crash. Mind you, it also happens even if the contents of the disk have already loaded. But even though the contents of the disk have showed, they all have blank white icons.

I already tried sfc /scannow and they it reported no issues.

Didn't have this issue back when I had W7 Ultimate.

:)

djdelarosa25, Oct 23, 2015

2. Windows 10 issue

Hi,

I have had problems with file explorer in windows 10. It started when I tried to read a cd on the built in disk reader on my laptop. Nothing showed up so I opened file explorer and went to my pc to see what the issue was. The rest of file explorer was fine,
    but the my pc section either crashed the computer, froze it so that I had to do a hard restart, or just crashed. Please help!

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Quantum Light, Oct 23, 2015
  3. I have tried all these things and other things besides and I still do not have the problem fixed.

Rob,

When I put in a Norton Utilities disk in, it runs. I ran it, installed, and found 300+ errors in the registry and repaired them. When I put in another disk, it still shows the Norton disk in the drive. When I try another disk, it still shows Norton in
    the drive. Then I put in a Great Courses Python disk in, with VLC running, the disk starts reading, the system is unresponsive to a right click on the DVD line and VLC complains and says there is no disk in the drive. Kill VLC and then kill the complaint window
    and the disk continues reading., still showing a Quick Access progress bar in the top of Explorer which started shortly after the disk was inserted. Ejected that disk.

Put a Shaun the Sheep disk in and Explorer shows in the header "This PC> E: Norton Utilities. Now a window has popped up saying "Burn to Disk, Insert a writable disk into drive E:, Help me choose a disk, Cancel" and the disk drive has popped open.

Cleared that window and pushed the drive door closed. DVD drive still says Norton Utilities is in the drive. Drive is spinning. Now it has stopped. Explorer still says Norton is in the drive. Ejected the drawer but left the disk in. Shut the drawer. Explorer
    still shows Norton. Disk is spinning. Explorer still shows Norton in drive. Disk has stopped spinning. Now Explorer still shows Norton in the drive and in the header but the panel to the right shows file information like I know is on the Shaun disk. Opened
    VLC and chose View, Play disk, and it showed the disk and is playing it. Stopped that and ejected the disk and opened the Explorer window and it still shows DVD drive with Norton in it but Not Responding. Put in Great Courses disk and Explorer is now responding
    showing the Norton disk in and is reading, reading the Great Courses disk. Let me say this disk plays in my laptop and other computers that I have. Still no change in the Explorer. VLC will not open the disk. VLC now Not Responding. Killed VLC and this time
    it did not send a report to Microsoft as it has done before. Disk drive still reading. Explorer still shows Norton in the drive, shows Quick Access in the header but no progress bar.

Some minutes later. Disk drive still reading. Explorer Not responding. Killed it. System not showing icons on the bottom of the screen for a while. Now they are back. When I open Explorer, (disk still reading) there is no indication of a DVD drive,
    but it is showing eight (8) removable drives which is a real surprise. Two each of F:, G:, H: and I:. Ejected the disk. All 8 removable drives and the DVD drive have disappeared from Explorer. Tried the Norton, Shaun, Great Courses, and a Monty Python disk
    and only the Great Courses disk did not read properly.

All for now.

Joe

JosephThomas3, Oct 23, 2015
Thema:

Explorer Crashes when reading disk

1. Explorer Crashes when reading disk - Similar Threads - Explorer Crashes reading

2. EXPLORER CRASHES ON DATA READ/WRITE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EXPLORER CRASHES ON DATA READ/WRITE: Hello and Thank you Everyone coming across and answering my question, your help is appreciated.Sorry in advance because this is going to be long; more so because I want to include all details and am not sure what details are gonna be helpful or not so much :I have already...
  3. EXPLORER CRASHES ON DATA READ/WRITE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EXPLORER CRASHES ON DATA READ/WRITE: Hello and Thank you Everyone coming across and answering my question, your help is appreciated.Sorry in advance because this is going to be long; more so because I want to include all details and am not sure what details are gonna be helpful or not so much :I have already...
  4. Disk reading error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk reading error: When I start my pc it says that there is a disk read error. How can I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-reading-error/ecb05ee0-c691-41ef-a23b-a56f5b3c2efe
  5. Disk reading error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk reading error: When I start my pc it says that there is a disk read error. How can I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-reading-error/ecb05ee0-c691-41ef-a23b-a56f5b3c2efe
  6. Disk Drive Will Only Read Certain Disks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Drive Will Only Read Certain Disks: My Bd-Rom, which in Device Manager is a Optiarc BD-Rom BC-5500S ATA Device, It is Built in to my computer will only read Certain disks, I am trying to install a video game The Sims 2 Deluxe but it will only read my expansion pack disks, not the base game, and I have tried to...
  7. Disk read error.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk read error.: my laptop is jut displaying a screen sying that a disk read error has occured and i have to restart it by clicking on Alt, Ctrl, Del buttons. but its still not working when i press the buttons....
  8. Disk driver not reading

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk driver not reading: After installing Manjaro entire Windows is not booting up. To perform and clean installation disk 0 is invalid in Diskpart. Please help I cannot even install a new software or get my photos from the disk......
  9. Disk read errors

Disk read errors: Is Microsoft ever likely to read disks and handle read errors without taking for ever! It's NOT hard. I did this in the early '80s in assembler and I am not even a programmer. It was slow then using floppies and a read error could be taken care of in a few hundred...
  10. Floppy disk drive not reading disks

Floppy disk drive not reading disks: I have an external floppy disk drive that I have been using and it has stopped working with the message: "A: is not accessible. The disk media is not recognized. It may not be formatted."...