Windows 10: Explorer crashing when right clicking folders on Navigation Pane

Discus and support Explorer crashing when right clicking folders on Navigation Pane in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there Recently I've been experiencing a weird problem with Windows 10. Right clicking any folders on the pane on the left - the one with folders,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by peteyt, Mar 29, 2016.

1. peteyt Win User

Explorer crashing when right clicking folders on Navigation Pane

Hi there

Recently I've been experiencing a weird problem with Windows 10. Right clicking any folders on the pane on the left - the one with folders, libraries etc. causes explorer to freeze and then crash.

I can right click on files and folders in the main explorer window. This problem only occurs when I try to right click on something in the navigation pane.

What could cause this?

:)

peteyt, Mar 29, 2016
  2. Name456 Win User

File Explorer Crashing

When I start file explorer I can browse folders from the left drop down style navigation pane but whenever I select folders or files from the right navigation pane file explorer crashes. I dont get any error message when it crashes, the screen flickers
    then goes back to normal. I read
    this
    discussion and followed the instructions to make a crash dump file and by analyzing it I believe the issue is caused by explorerframe.dll but I'm not sure on what else to do after this, any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Name456, Mar 29, 2016
  3. KenOates Win User
    Unable to highlight files in File Explorer

When I open File Explorer, and navigate the folders in the left pane, they highlight. When I try to select a file or folder in the right hand pane they do not highlight. You can double click and the file of folder opens, but unless you are careful you
    cannot be sure which file you are actually opening.

KenOates, Mar 29, 2016
  4. jds63 Win User

Any new folders added ? Guess can be a shell extension that gets put into the context menu when you right click.
    Some have used this free program to disable non microsoft shell extensions. Have you recently added any new software since this occurred? ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows

jds63, Mar 29, 2016
  5. peteyt Win User
    Thanks. Went through enabling and disabling and found the culprit was NVIDIA CPL Context Menu Extension

peteyt, Mar 29, 2016
  6. jds63 Win User
    Your Welcome, glad it was easily found.

Have you recently updated graphics drivers or have not in awhile ? Maybe newer ones may help or reverting to the older driver.

This shell extension enables you to bring up the NVIDIA Control Panel by right clicking the desktop, i have seen some instances that it had caused explorer crashes and others issues.

You can instead re-enable it with Shellview and disabled it through the NVIDIA control panel itself, option #1 here.
    Proper way since you are able to do it within the software and some software will have this in it's option settings.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...text-menu.html

jds63, Mar 29, 2016
  7. herono11 Win User
    This solution saved my day.. Thanks buddy.

herono11, May 10, 2016
  8. SDMF74 Win User

NVIDIA CPL Context Menu Extension is indeed the culprit. Eventually I would like to be able to reenable the shell extension. Is this an Nvidia or a microsoft issue? I wonder if either are even aware of the issue.

Every time I right click any drive in the file explorer left pane window file explorer crashes

SDMF74, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Explorer crashing when right clicking folders on Navigation Pane - Similar Threads - Explorer crashing right

2. Modifying the Navigation Pane in Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Modifying the Navigation Pane in Explorer: This my Navigation Pane in File Explorer. It has 3 sections: the 2nd section is called "Quick Access". I don't know what sections 1 and 3 are called, but they are not helpful.How do I remove sections 1 and 3 from the Navigation Pane?I assume it's some registry setting that...
  3. File Explorer crashing whenever Quick Access items in Navigation Pane are right-clicked or...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer crashing whenever Quick Access items in Navigation Pane are right-clicked or...: Title says it all. Right click other items in the Navigation Pane doesn't crash File Explorer. I can open my drives and other directories in new windows without crashing. But the moment I right click the items pinned in Quick Access, File Explorer immediately crashes....
  4. File Explorer crashing whenever Quick Access items in Navigation Pane are right-clicked or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashing whenever Quick Access items in Navigation Pane are right-clicked or...: Title says it all. Right click other items in the Navigation Pane doesn't crash File Explorer. I can open my drives and other directories in new windows without crashing. But the moment I right click the items pinned in Quick Access, File Explorer immediately crashes....
  5. File Explorer crashing whenever Quick Access items in Navigation Pane are right-clicked or...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows 10 File Explorer keeps crashing when i right click on Navigation Pane

Windows 10 File Explorer keeps crashing when i right click on Navigation Pane: I've been having this problem for months, simply whenever I right click on the Navigation Pane, File Explorer freezes for 2 seconds then shuts down. More specifically whenever I right click on the Navigation Pane, after the right click menu whether i click anything or close...
  7. Windows Explorer Crashes When Right-Clicking Folders on The Left Pane

Windows Explorer Crashes When Right-Clicking Folders on The Left Pane: Hi, Windows Explorer crashes every time I right-click on a folder under Quick Access or This PC. I have tried clearing the file explorer history and restarting my computer/file explorer from the command prompt. The last problem report I got is below. Any suggestions on how...
  8. Explorer crash on Windows 10 Home when right-clicking in left pane.

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer crash on Windows 10 Home when right-clicking in left pane.: When Windows Explorer is open, if I right-click on anything in the left-pane, Explorer crashes and re-starts. I've googled, and tried using NirSoft's ShellFix, disabled the most common issues googling resulted in: #1 Remove Nvidia context-menu and for desktop right-click....
  9. Explorer crashing when right clicking in the video folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer crashing when right clicking in the video folder: Last week I bought a new gaming PC. Came with Windows 10. Now I've noticed then when I right click in the system default video folder (under "this PC") explorer crashes. It only happens with the video folder for some reason. Even clicking the tabs make it crash except for...
  10. Shift click in navigation pane....?

in Windows 10 Support
    Shift click in navigation pane....?: Is there seriously no way to shift-click folders in the navigation pane and open a new window...?*Sick*Sick*Mad*Mad*Sick*Sick*Mad*Mad*Sick*Sick*Mad*Mad*Sleepy*Sleepy*Sleepy*Sleepy Is it just me or does Windows 10 have a more 'dumb' explorer? It somehow manages to end up...