Windows 10: Explorer.exe high CPU and also other weird symptoms

Discus and support Explorer.exe high CPU and also other weird symptoms in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I recently had a some kind of permissions problem where lots (10s or 100s) of random files were given wrong permissions for some reason. So my Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jimhoyle, May 24, 2020.

1. jimhoyle Win User

Explorer.exe high CPU and also other weird symptoms

I recently had a some kind of permissions problem where lots (10s or 100s) of random files were given wrong permissions for some reason. So my Windows 10 (1909) was quite crippled. But then I ran Tweaking.com Windows Repair with (almost) full settings and it seemingly repaired everything. However, now I'm experiencing two other problems which may or may not be related:

Explorer.exe randomly causes very high CPU usage. Using Process Hacker, it's specifically usually ""ntdll.dll!rtinitializeresource" that is doing the CPU hogging. I have no idea what that is about.

Other problem is Firefox started crashing. It only works for 10 seconds, then a complete freeze. Then, looking at Task Manager, the firefox.exe causing the problem is "Suspended". Nothing else can be done except ending that task. But I can't do anything with Firefox. An interesting clue is that I have also Firefox Portable installed and that works, doesn't crash. But normal Firefox freezes almost immediately.

Any idea what might be going on and how to fix?

I'm running Bitdefender Total Security so I shouldn't have any viruses.

:)

jimhoyle, May 24, 2020

2. Windows Explorer high CPU Usage in Windows 10

To further troubleshoot the issue, we suggest checking the Task Manager again to see what are the
    applications that have high CPU usage. To do this, follow the same steps you did from the previous reply:

• Click on the Start button and type Task Manager on the search box.
    • On the Task Manager window, you should see the programs running.
    • Click on the More details drop-down button to see the total number of apps running and their real-time CPU usage.

However, based on your response above, it seems that you may need to create a new user account again and just install your apps manually instead of copying them as your
    previous user account might be corrupted.

Once your done with the steps, please let us know how it goes.

Jefferson Ore, May 24, 2020
  3. Windows Explorer high CPU Usage in Windows 10

Hi Andrew,

Usually, too many background processes can boost your CPU usage. Since you already disabled the apps that are not necessary on startup,
    we suggest checking the applications running once you have successfully boot Windows 10. To do this, simply follow the steps below:

• Click on the Start button and type Task Manager on the search box.
    • On the Task Manager window, you should see the programs running.
    • Click on the More details drop-down button to see the total number of apps running and their real-time CPU usage.

From there, you should see what applications are running on high CPU usage. You can also
    restart the Windows Management Instrumentation service and see if your CPU performance will improve. Follow the instructions below to restart the service:

• Click on the Start button and type Services.
    • Scroll down the list and look for Windows Management Instrumentation.
    • Right click on it and select Restart.

Should you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, May 24, 2020
  4. ajs007 Win User

Windows Explorer high CPU usage as Apps or Background Process...

3May2018...

Running Windows10 Home Ver 1709 latest OS Build on

Intel Core i5 CPU @ 3.8GHz.

Recently Windows Explorer has been running at high CPU usage 45% to 50%

Even when I am not using File Explorer - Windows Explorer runs as a Background Process as same high CPU usage...

First when will Microsoft stick to the new name File Explorer - instead of showing Windows Explorer as the app in the Task Manager...confusing :-(

Two - I saw someone else with the same problem and a ridiculous multi step cumbersome solution of creating another account (where Windows Explorer did not have high CPU) and then a painful exercise of trying to migrate all applications and files from one
    account to the other.

Apparently the original user account may have had a corruption....

Are there any simpler explanations out there on how to fix run away Windows(File) Explorer???

ajs007, May 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Explorer.exe high CPU and also other weird symptoms - Similar Threads - Explorer exe high

2. Wrong CPU shown also with high utilisation.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong CPU shown also with high utilisation.: I have an Intel i9 11900KF, and the AMD Adrenalin Info panel is correct, but Windows Info and Task Manager shows me the wrong CPU. I thought maybe Oculus Tray Tool might have been causing the issue as I had CPU ID Spoof on as I have an Oculus Rift CV1 and the OculusClient...
  3. Wrong CPU shown also with high utilisation.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wrong CPU shown also with high utilisation.: I have an Intel i9 11900KF, and the AMD Adrenalin Info panel is correct, but Windows Info and Task Manager shows me the wrong CPU. I thought maybe Oculus Tray Tool might have been causing the issue as I had CPU ID Spoof on as I have an Oculus Rift CV1 and the OculusClient...
  4. Weirdly high CPU usage?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weirdly high CPU usage?: My CPU usage on idle while in a discord call is about 9-13%. desktop window manager is taking up 3.0% CPU and discord is taking roughly the same. Task manager is also taking up about 3%, so where does the other 4% come from? The numbers just do not add up....
  5. Weirdly high CPU usage?

Weirdly high CPU usage?: My CPU usage on idle while in a discord call is about 9-13%. desktop window manager is taking up 3.0% CPU and discord is taking roughly the same. Task manager is also taking up about 3%, so where does the other 4% come from? The numbers just do not add up....
  6. High CPU Usage cxuiusvc64.exe is the culprit

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High CPU Usage cxuiusvc64.exe is the culprit: Hi. Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.928) So my problems started a few days after the last update; 2021-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64 based Systems (KB5001330). I have Piriforms Speccy installed and it reports the cpu temp is around a constant temp in...
  7. Windows Explorer using high CPU.

Windows Explorer using high CPU.: Windows explorer is constantly using over 15% cpu for whatever reason and total cpu utilisation is up at 17% at idle . I've tried everything: uninstalling AVG Which was using similar cpu at the same time, deleting all shortcuts on the desktop, using the chkdsk commands,...
  8. high CPU usage by Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    high CPU usage by Windows Explorer: Hi, I was looking through the performance of my new msi laptop, and noticed Windows Explorer was using almost the same, if not more CPU than fusion360. Even with all apps closed and at idle, the program is still using up to 17% cpu. I've looked up causes for this, and one...
  9. unsual high cpu usage of regsvr32.exe

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    unsual high cpu usage of regsvr32.exe: hello everyone I'm having a bit of trouble with this application. Just recently my CPU has been mostly taken up by one instance of the above file continuously running. Now I have had a look in Task Manager and the following command lines are stated as below:-...
  10. CEIP - rundll32.exe high CPU use in Win 10?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CEIP - rundll32.exe high CPU use in Win 10?: Hi, I found my CPU being used to 50% by rundll32.exe invagent,RunUpdate -noappraiser QwarAFRPWUiri4M6.4 which from Win 7/8 reports appears to be sthg to do with the Customer Experience Improvement Program. Process Explorer seemed no help on this, and I've been running...