Windows 10: Explorer lagging when dragging files

Discus and support Explorer lagging when dragging files in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; So I noticed a couple months back that Explorer started lagging when I drag a file anywhere, even within the same window. I click, start to drag, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by GuyInDogSuit, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Explorer lagging when dragging files

So I noticed a couple months back that Explorer started lagging when I drag a file anywhere, even within the same window. I click, start to drag, and it immediately lags for about a second or two, then suddenly moves to the spot I indicated. Does it with right-click drags, too. It's not my CPU, I've checked. Memory's good, too. Updated Windows several times since this has started, that didn't fix it. Updated my GPU drivers, too, didn't solve it. What's the issue? Should I do a fresh Windows install?

:)

GuyInDogSuit, Apr 17, 2016
  2. Fckboi420 Win User

Windows desktop cursor rectangle not 144hz

Hey! When I right click my mouse on my desktop and drag my mouse around the desktop, the blue rectangle that can be used to selected specific folders etc on the desktop is not 144hz. Everything else on my pc is working fine and runs 144hz and even when
    I do the same thing in file explorer, it is 144hz and alot more smooth than when I do it on my desktop. What is causing this lag on the blue rectangle? very annoying. Please help!

Fckboi420, Apr 17, 2016
  3. File Explorer not working Windows 10

I have the same problem too, the file explorer is very lag, particular when i try to connect with my NAS or obtaining a file from there!!!!!

JamesWongV, Apr 17, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Explorer lagging when dragging files

Hi,
    a. Do you experience the same thing in Safe Mode?
    b. If not, try eliminating possible 3rd party conflicts.
    If so, please post back.

1. Try a clean boot
    Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts - Windows 10 Forums

2. Download and install Shellexview (free)
    Launch it, hide all MS extensions
    Disable all others.
    See if there's any difference
    There's an option for 32 bit extensions too. Select that
    Now disable all other extensions
    See if there's any difference

If there is a difference, use Shellexview to identify the culprit by enabling groups of extensions or one by one as you wish.

Shellexview settings take effect immediately.

Please post back.

dalchina, Apr 17, 2016
  5. I can't figure out how to hide the MS extensions, but there were only four non-MS extensions anyway. I disabled them. Seems to have helped, for now.

GuyInDogSuit, Apr 18, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Ok, that's promising. Now you can enable one by one until you find the one that is responsible for your problem.

Assuming you do, please post back and advise as it may help someone else.

In the following, under options, note Hide all Microsoft ..... and Show 32-bit... (which probably reveals more)

Explorer lagging when dragging files [​IMG]

dalchina, Apr 18, 2016
  7. That didn't fix it. I left them disabled for the last few days and it started lagging again.

GuyInDogSuit, Apr 22, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Ok, let's look at sthg different:
    Download, install and run LatencyMon by Respendence (easy to find) - free.

Please post screenshots of the different tabs. This will check to see if there's driver latency.

dalchina, Apr 22, 2016
  9. Explorer lagging when dragging files [​IMG]

GuyInDogSuit, Apr 23, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Explorer lagging when dragging files - Similar Threads - Explorer lagging dragging

2. File explorer Lags out when resizing it

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer Lags out when resizing it: I'm looking for anyone who knows how to fix this, but when i try to resize file explorer, it lags out looking like my monitor is running at 59 hz when I'm actually running 144hz. id include a video, but OBS makes it look like nothings wrong submitted by /u/ArloContainedYT...
  3. File explorer lag

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer lag: Whenever I try use a click a file on file explorer it just stays there and load I tried waiting but it did this for about an a hour and its not just click files i tried to format my SD card and it just stayed there loading and when I try to unzip anything it just stays there...
  4. file explorer drag and drop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer drag and drop: After my last update there is no right pane in the file explorer to drag and drop files. Please advise. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-drag-and-drop/f2190733-2938-485c-880e-58d172f73f16
  5. Disable thumbnails that appear when you drag a file in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable thumbnails that appear when you drag a file in File Explorer?: "How do I turn off the thumbnail that appears when dragging/dropping files in File Explorer in Windows 10? This thumbnail obscures the destination folder, making the drop zone a hit & miss scenario."* Also, how to disable the same kind of thumbnails that pop up when I hover...
  6. Desktop drag lag

Desktop drag lag: Whenever I drag an icon/shortcut on my pc it take a second to move it and is laggy. It’s also pretty laggy when I drag the blue box thingy to select multiple icons. Even just hovering the mouse over icons it takes awhile to register. And this is on a decent gaming pc and my...
  7. File explorer lagging

File explorer lagging: Hi! I have the following problem: I use Win 10 on my Dell notebook, and when I open the Windows File Explorer and try to resize it, then it starts lagging. This can be very annoying. Other applications work well without problem. What could be the problem? Can anyone help me?...
  8. File Explorer lags

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer lags: I have a new Dell laptop, 64 bit, 8 gigs running Windows 10 Pro. This machine worked fine but I downloaded a zip file. After that I found that when I clicked and dragged my cursor to select some files , it results in a good deal of lag. The object was highlighted, File...
  9. Explorer not responding/hanging when dragging video files into folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer not responding/hanging when dragging video files into folders: IIRC this is an old bug but I can't remember what the solution is, basically I download a bunch of video files (TS or MKV primarily) and then drag them into a folder where I have a muxing bat file, for some reason explorer is hanging/not responding on certain files since...
  10. Lagging File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Lagging File Explorer: I seem to have done something in file explorer on my desktop that I did not on my laptop. When I click on any hard drive or large folder, the search bar takes forever to show the files. This used to happen in W7 and continues to do so in W10. I have tried to find where to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows explorer lag even in safe mode

2. windows 10 dragging files lagging