Windows 10: Explorer missing a network device

Discus and support Explorer missing a network device in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, Missing network device - EXTERNALDRIVE Since the last Windows 10 update which I installed on Dec. 9 I am missing one devices in Explorer >... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Frank C, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Frank C Win User

Explorer missing a network device

Hi,
    Missing network device - EXTERNALDRIVE
    Since the last Windows 10 update which I installed on Dec. 9 I am missing one devices in Explorer > Network on one of three network computers.
    They are all present on the other two computers. One of these is Windows 10., the other is Vista Premium.
    The complete device list under network is Frankspc, Charlottespc, and Sue_ASUS and ExternalDrive.
    The missing device on the Explorer list on Frankspc is EXTERNALDRIVE. I can ping it at 192.168.1.3
    Any Ideas on how to get it back in the Explorer list?
    Thanks

HP Envy
    Windows 10

:)

Frank C, Dec 15, 2015
  2. VJ30062 Win User

Windows 10 Anniversary Upgrade: Unable to reconnect to my NAS Storage

Hi Paul - My laptop was set on "discoverable".

Besides, I have access to the homegroup PC's on my home network. But my list of devices in the Network Tab of Fiel explorer is missing my shared drives and other widows systems.

VJ30062, Dec 15, 2015
  3. Network device missing

Hello Charles,

There is no limit to the number of devices that can be on the network.

Please provide us more information to help you further:

• Which device are you trying to connect?

• Are you trying to connect through home group?

If you are trying to connect through Home group, I suggest you to remove the Home group and try adding it back and verify the result.

Hope the above information helps. Reply with the necessary information to help you better.

Anju Thekkethil, Dec 15, 2015
  4. Frank C Win User

Frank C, Dec 17, 2015
  5. Frank C Win User
    My fix didn't last through a restart. I am still in need of a fix.

Frank C, Dec 17, 2015
  6. Frank, you may want to try setting up a HomeGroup. I didn't want to - don't like HomeGroups - and didn't think I should "have to" use a HomeGroup when I had a perfectly good Workgroup already setup (but broken after last update), but I finally broke down and just did the HomeGroup. Now everything is working and communicating as it should.

CountryBumkin, Dec 17, 2015
  7. Kiwi1 Win User
    If its an external drive ( a network attached storage drive) , then the problem most likely is that with Windows 10, it is unable to 'see' samba devices in the local network. Windows 10 seems to use SMB3.11 protocol by default, so you can change this by the following command prompts:

Go to Start, then Command Prompt (admin)
    at the command prompt enter the following commands. Its easiest to copy and paste from below, and press enter after each paste:

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi

sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

Then reboot your Windows 10 machine; with a bit of luck you will now see your external drive on the 'network' list.

Kiwi1, Dec 18, 2015
  8. Frank C Win User

Thanks Kiwi1,
    That did the trick. I ran the cmds on both Windows 10 computers and I now see the EXTERNALDRIVE in Explorer on both.
    This is very important to me because that is where I keep backups.
    It would have save me a lot of time if Microsoft had told me that this was a necessary step.

CountryBumpkin,
    I will also try to get the Homegroup set up correctly.
    I do see homegroup but it insists on a password to join. I don't know the password and I can't find it.
    Perhaps I can create a new homegroup and delete the old one.
    I'll work on this.

Frank C, Dec 18, 2015
  9. Kiwi1 Win User
    Yes its hard to find info about that issue and I spent a lot of time googling to find out more; its buried in Windows support here but doesn't actually mention Windows 10 and I found that it worked by trial and error.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2696547

By the way, even though you couldn't 'see' the Network Drive, you would still have been able to map the drives by using File Explorer, Map Network drive, \\servername\foldername

Microsoft ought to be a bit more proactive, but I also think the NAS drive folks such as WD should re-issue firmware for there drives that supports SMB3 and fixes the problem

Kiwi1, Dec 19, 2015
  10. Frank C Win User
    Kiwi1,
    Thanks for your detective work. I had spent hours on the problem with no success.

Country Bumkin,
    I did try to set up a Home group. One computer running windows 10 could not join.
    There is a access error of: 0x80070035 which i think is interfering. I posted this on Network and Sharing under Error code 0x80070035

Frank C, Dec 19, 2015
  11. Frank C Win User
    I got the homegroup set up. I needed credentials for both windows 10 computer to access each other.
    However, this did not solve the local network access problem between the two Windows 10 computers.
    If I try to open any folder, using homegroup, on SUE_ASUS from nothing happens.
    Likewise, the reverse is true. SUE_ASUS cannot open any folder on .

Explorer missing a network device [​IMG]

Frank C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Explorer missing a network device - Similar Threads - Explorer missing network

2. Devices missing from Network in File Exporer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Devices missing from Network in File Exporer: I have a small home network. Two wired desktop PCs, two wireless Surface tablets all on Windows 10 Pro, fully up to date and a wired server running OpenMediaVault. I’ve just added what will become a replacement server – same hardware, later version of OMV software. For a...
  3. Devices missing in network on all computers connected to the network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Devices missing in network on all computers connected to the network: Hello, I got a very strange issue of missing devices connected to the network recently. I had a bunch of computers, NAS's and router-attached drive connected to a home network. They were all visible in the network list in file explore on each of my computers. The computers...
  4. Devices missing in network on all computers connected to the network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Devices missing in network on all computers connected to the network: Hello, I got a very strange issue of missing devices connected to the network recently. I had a bunch of computers, NAS's and router-attached drive connected to a home network. They were all visible in the network list in file explore on each of my computers. The computers...
  5. Missing network Pc in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Missing network Pc in file explorer: I have 3 PC’s running windows 10 pro. Each one has Quick books installed, with 1 of the 3 hosting the company file for QB. This network is a private ethernet network and has been working fine since it was set up. The problem is thst i wanted to share additional files between...
  6. Network adapters are missing from device manager

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network adapters are missing from device manager: So I think my personal notebook was left on for a week or two and today when i opened it, there was no network + a few other things. 1) completely no network adapters (i dont use LAN, only wifi) 2) audio driver is installed but not working 3) mouse driver is not installed...
  7. Network Devices Not Showing in File Explorer

Network Devices Not Showing in File Explorer: Windows 10. Have Desktop 1, Laptop 1, Desktop 2 and D-Link Network Storage in Home Network. Router/Modem is AT&T/DirecTV for telephone, TV and Internet. Internet works fine. Do not think any problem with Router/Modem. Network devices do not show in File Explorer,...
  8. Network Devices not Showing with File Explorer

Network Devices not Showing with File Explorer: I am hoping that somewhere out there may be able to assist with my problem as I have exhausted countless hours on the various Forums and in tweaking my system with no result to date. The problem is that on my Home Network (Private) my main PC cannot “see” the other devices...
  9. Network machines missing in Explorer

Network machines missing in Explorer: I have 5 computers and 4 are running Windows 10. The machine I use as the main one I upgraded from Windows 7 ULT to Win 10 and have had little trouble but, my number 2 machine I added the insider preview 5 builds ago and since then, when trying to view all machines in...
  10. Icons missing when on the Network tab in explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons missing when on the Network tab in explorer: If I single click the network tab (so it's not fully opened like below) I can see the items. But when it's fully opened they're missing. Not sure why. [img] 62046