Windows 10: Explorer/Network shown everything except Computer

Discus and support Explorer/Network shown everything except Computer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; While trying to connect a new pc to our network I somehow no longer see "Computer" in "Network" on my computer's Explorer. Oddly, the new computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GARoss, Jan 6, 2018.

1. GARoss Win User

Explorer/Network shown everything except Computer

While trying to connect a new pc to our network I somehow no longer see "Computer" in "Network" on my computer's Explorer. Oddly, the new computer Network is showing everything but on my PC "Media Devices" "Multifunction Devices", etc all are there but no Computer" (see photo). If I type the other network computer names in Explorer to search they are found. I don't know what happened.

Any ideas how to fix?

Explorer/Network shown everything except Computer [​IMG]

:)

GARoss, Jan 6, 2018

2. Network computer not shown in Network-list

I have acces to a computer in the network with \\Computer2\ in the file explorer.

This computer however is not shown in the NETWORK-list. Others are shown.

Anton

ZoettlAnton, Jan 6, 2018
  3. ALD_746 Win User
    networked computers are not shown in file explorer

networked computers are not shown in file explorer

ALD_746, Jan 6, 2018
  4. Kbird Win User

Might be the SMBv1 Uninstalled by Update 1709 issue?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-version-1709

It certainly isn't a "friendly" write up that is for sure .....written for IT Pros I think but I found I only needed the SMB1.0 Client re-enabled for things to be fine again after playing with different settings.

T.D.L :
    FCU 1709 disables and removes SMBv1 after 15days if it hasn't been used, (eg turning on my old Synology NAS i found I couldn't connect to do a backup), But you can turn it back on in:

THE FIX

Goto Control Panel>Programs and Features>Turn Windows Features on and Off>SMB 1.0/CIFS

and checking just the SMB1.0 Client box worked for me.

Once you do this Win10 will no longer disable it automatically as it assumes you need it, if you it turned back on.

AFAIK this issue with SMBv1 was mainly related to WinXP and is not an issue on Win10 , so personally I was not worried about turning it back on.

Or if you need pics ? .....do the reverse of this article
    How to Disable SMBv1 and Protect Your Windows PC From Attack

For Others to try 1st Per Microsoft ..........

Explorer Network Browsing

The Computer Browser service relies on the SMBv1 protocol to populate the Windows Explorer Network node (also known as "Network Neighborhood"). This legacy protocol is long deprecated, doesn't route, and has limited security. Because the service cannot function without SMBv1, it is removed at the same time.

However, if you still have to use the Explorer Network in home and small business workgroup environments to locate Windows-based computers, you can follow these steps on your Windows-based computers that no longer use SMBv1:

• Start the "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" services, and then set them to Automatic (Delayed Start).
    • When you open Explorer Network, enable network discovery when you are prompted.

All Windows devices within that subnet that have these settings will now appear in Network for browsing. This uses the WS-DISCOVERY protocol. Contact your other vendors and manufacturers if their devices still don't appear in this browse list after the Windows devices appear. It is possible they have this protocol disabled or that they support only SMBv1.

Note We recommend that you map drives and printers instead of enabling this feature, which still requires searching and browsing for their devices. Mapped resources are easier to locate, require less training, and are safer to use. This is especially true if these resources are provided automatically through Group Policy. An administrator can configure printers for location by methods other than the legacy Computer Browser service by using IP addresses, Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS), Bonjour, mDNS, uPnP, and so on.

Kbird, Jan 6, 2018
  5. GARoss Win User
    No good. Thanks but this didn't fix the issue. *Sad

GARoss, Jan 6, 2018
  6. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey GARoss,
    What didn't work, can you be more specific?

Note: If you did Kbirds THE FIX and you don't have a NAS or Router USB File Sharing, you're probably going to have to install the SMBv1 Server.

Eagle51, Jan 7, 2018
  7. Kbird Win User
    Eagle51 maybe correct GARoss I have both on my network , I tried it with the Server Option too and it worked as well, but I found I didn't need , when experimenting, so removed it.

KB.

Kbird, Jan 7, 2018
  8. GARoss Win User

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check these.

GARoss, Jan 7, 2018
  9. GARoss Win User
    I have my wife's PC now setup & running now & we're on the same Network. It's really odd but the Computer icons in Explorer work occasionally & then don't. Very odd. *Confused

GARoss, Jan 7, 2018
  10. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey GARoss,
    Are you both running the same Win10 Vers ?

Eagle51, Jan 8, 2018
  11. Kbird Win User
    it may help perhaps to make the computer that is usually on maintain a list of other on the network....

I still do this and us the info in this text file :

Kbird, Jan 8, 2018
  12. GARoss Win User
    Yes - 1709 (OS Build 16299.192)

GARoss, Jan 8, 2018
  13. GARoss Win User

Here's an example: Note the screen grab - My PC is normal but I couldn't see DESKTOP-GEORGE on my wife's PC until I typed in the Explorer \\DESKTOP-GEORGE. Then I could see my folder, etc. But note; on her PC's sidebar (see screen grab) you see DESKTOP-GEORGE but not in the Explorer/Computer window.

I guess it works but works weird. *Confused

Explorer/Network shown everything except Computer [​IMG]

GARoss, Jan 8, 2018
  14. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey GARoss,
    You need to check SMBv1 & SMBv2 and their services on both PCs.

Note: This ONLY creates a smb-check.txt file on the desktop, it does NOT change any settings and the only identifiable info is the Computer Name.

Do the following on both PCs ...

1. Open PowerShell as Administrator
    2. Copy/Paste the following into PowerShell and press Enter
    3. Copy/Paste the smb-check.txt files here if needed for help

$(
    "$(get-date -format g)"
    "$($env:computername)"
    get-windowsoptionalfeature -Online -FeatureName SMB1Protocol
    get-smbserverconfiguration | Select EnableSMB1Protocol, EnableSMB2Protocol
    sc.exe query mrxsmb10
    sc.exe qc mrxsmb10
    sc.exe query mrxsmb20
    sc.exe qc mrxsmb20
    sc.exe query browser
    sc.exe qc browser
    sc.exe query fdPHost
    sc.exe qc fdPHost
    sc.exe query FDResPub
    sc.exe qc FDResPub
    Get-ItemPropertyValue -Path HKLM:SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters -Name SMB1,SMB2
    Get-ItemPropertyValue -Path HKLM:SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation -Name DependOnService
    ) > "$($env:userprofile)\Desktop\smb-check.txt"

Eagle51, Jan 8, 2018
  15. GARoss Win User
    I created a Homegroup which fixed the needed sharing. There were a few snags creating it but none too difficult.

Thanks for your suggestions!

GARoss, Jan 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Explorer/Network shown everything except Computer - Similar Threads - Explorer Network shown

2. No networks shown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No networks shown: I hadn't realised it up until now but I have no networks shown in my wifi tab, my ethernet connected to my wifi and works fine but its intervening in something i'm downloading I think. This never used to happen though, there were other wifi networks in my area as well that...
  3. No networks shown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No networks shown: I hadn't realised it up until now but I have no networks shown in my wifi tab, my ethernet connected to my wifi and works fine but its intervening in something i'm downloading I think. This never used to happen though, there were other wifi networks in my area as well that...
  4. No networks shown

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. A computer on a private network not shown

A computer on a private network not shown: I have two computers A and B on a private network using Ethernet.Computer A can access computer B, but B cannot access A.Computers both A and B use the following settings for the Private network in the "Advanced sharing settings" page.'Turn on network discovery' and 'Turn on...
  6. Images not shown in Windows Explorer except in Recycle Bin

Images not shown in Windows Explorer except in Recycle Bin: This is a continuation from my previous topic here; I marked it as answered but then realized there were other problems afterwards. As instructed; I followed to the command line: dir Music\*.jpg /s /b /a /p to show all .jpg files and that has worked wonderfully....
  7. Windows 10 Pro - Network Computers not shown consistently in Explorer

Windows 10 Pro - Network Computers not shown consistently in Explorer: I recently upgraded my Laptop from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. The system seemed to perform fine for a little while, then I began to have problems with Explorer not showing Network Computers. Sometimes, it could not see itself and others it could see other computers....
  8. Computer found on the network but no files shown

Computer found on the network but no files shown: This started a week ago after loosing power. I have 4 computers that are linked together on my network. All 4 computers are showing up in my network. The problem is my main computer (shieldsservice) when you try to access it from any other computer it says the folder is...
  9. CANNOT ACCESS OTHER COMPUTERS ON NETWORK SHOWN

CANNOT ACCESS OTHER COMPUTERS ON NETWORK SHOWN: - ACCESS DENIED CONTACT ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS A HOME NETWORK AND THERE IS NO ADMINISTRATOR TO MY KNOWLEDGE EARLIER USERNAME NAME WAS ASKED AND PASSWORD I DONT KNOW EITHER, NEVER SET UP PASSWORDS OTHER THAN THAN GMAIL AND SYNCG WITH ROUTER...
  10. Available Networks not shown

Available Networks not shown: On login screen (Refer screenshot 1) available networks are shown when I click on icon of WI-FI. [img] However, when I login and click on WI-FI icon, available networks are not show. I have tried all the solutions available on different forums but nothing seems to be...