Windows 10: Explorer not showing Desktop icons?

Discus and support Explorer not showing Desktop icons? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey all, I noticed that when opening Desktop in Windows Explorer, it doesn't show any of the icons of This PC, My Documents, Network and Recycle... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JohnnyGui, Aug 17, 2015.

1. JohnnyGui Win User

Explorer not showing Desktop icons?

Hey all,

I noticed that when opening Desktop in Windows Explorer, it doesn't show any of the icons of This PC, My Documents, Network and Recycle Bin. I have enabled these icons to be shown on the Desktop through the "Desktop Icons Settings" option. However, Explorer ignores them and only shows icons that are manually put on the Desktop.

Is this "by design"? Any fix for this?

:)

JohnnyGui, Aug 17, 2015
  2. lacrumb Win User

App Icons not appearing properly.

What you are showing is not the desktop but File Explorer folder.

To show the Desktop you must get ouy of all programs

Right click on the windows icon on the taskbar then on Desktop.

Then what do you see?

lacrumb, Aug 17, 2015
  3. gregtruax Win User
    desktop

How do I show the desktop on wnidows10? It shows play and explore and life at glance on the screen.

gregtruax, Aug 17, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Johnny,

Which desktop location are you opening?

If from "C:\Users\(user-name)\Desktop" or Desktop folder in This PC/Quick access, it won't show them.

If from shell:desktop, it will.

If you have "Show all folders" for navigation pane, and click on Desktop, it will.

Hope this helps. *Smile

Brink, Aug 17, 2015
  5. JohnnyGui Win User
    Hey Brink!

Typing shell:desktop indeed shows the icons. I tried changing the path of the Desktop button in the Quick Acces pane to that path but it gives me an error saying the path is invalid.

Choosing to "Show all folders" for the navigation pane gives way too much clutter in my opinion. Windows 8.1 showed all the icons through the Desktop in the Quick Acces pane just fine.

Isn't there any other way to add a Desktop showing all the icons to the navigation pane?

JohnnyGui, Aug 17, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Not that I know of yet.

Brink, Aug 17, 2015
  7. JohnnyGui Win User
    Thanks for your help nonetheless!

One other question, is it possible to change the name of a folder in the Quick Access pane? Linking My Documents folder to the Quick Access pane gives me another name than when the folder is shown on the Desktop.

JohnnyGui, Aug 17, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Odd. What name does it have instead?

You don't want to rename that folder.

Did you move your Documents folder to a different location?

Brink, Aug 17, 2015
  9. JohnnyGui Win User
    It's not that very much different but I'm too OCD about this to let it go *Tongue. Instead of having my full name like it's shown on the Desktop (for example Bill Gates), it gives me a shortened version without capitals (billg) .

I didn't move the folder. Isn't this supposed to happen?

JohnnyGui, Aug 17, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    So this is not your "C:\Users\(user-name)\Documents" folder that you pinned to Quick access?

Brink, Aug 17, 2015
  11. JohnnyGui Win User
    Sorry for the confusion, I was talking about the User Folder itself, not the Documents folder in it. The User Folder on the Desktop shows my full name but when I go to that path you're mentioning C:\Users\(user-name) it shows me that shortened name version (billg instead of Bill Gates). Linking the User Folder to the Quick Acces pane gives that shortened name version.

JohnnyGui, Aug 17, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Ah, ok. That makes sense now then.

In Quick access, it'll show the same name it shows as your "C:\Users\(user-name)" profile folder.

Brink, Aug 17, 2015
  13. JohnnyGui Win User

I take it I can't change that name then. So it's normal that it shows this shortened version of your full User Folder name? I recall Windows 8.1 showing the same full name in that directory.

JohnnyGui, Aug 17, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Sorry for the late reply.

I'm not aware of any safe way to change it other than to create a new account with the name you wanted instead.

It's normal for it to use the same name as your "C:\Users\(user-name)" folder.

The separate one in the navigation pane as a separate group uses your full account name instead. This is only when you have "Show all folders" set for the navigation pane though.

Brink, Aug 19, 2015
  15. JohnnyGui Win User
    In that case creating a new account with another name would still not fix this since Windows 10 changes the way the name is displayed in C:\Users\(user-name) folder in its own way (billg instead of BIll Gates). The User folder on my Desktop however does show my full name.

JohnnyGui, Aug 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Explorer not showing Desktop icons? - Similar Threads - Explorer showing Desktop

2. Not showing desktop folder icon in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not showing desktop folder icon in File Explorer?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/RedPlammer [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/wmskhz/not_showing_desktop_folder_icon_in_file_explorer/
  3. Desktop icons and windows not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons and windows not showing: Just got this new pc and set up pretty much everything. Turned it on today but every desktop icons are gone and the taskbar is also not working. Opened some program, it can be seen that it is actually opened on the taskbar but it doesn't show the window on the desktop. Tried...
  4. Desktop Icons Not Showing Up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons Not Showing Up: Hey everyone, so this morning I turned on my PC and everything worked fine its just that none of the icons on either the desktop, taskbar or any folder icons show up. Its only the names that show up, I tried some methods on YouTube by deleting some icon cache and restarting...
  5. Desktop Icons not showing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons not showing: Hello I have an issue with desktop icons not appearing in the Desktop FOLDER The icons appear if I look at the Desktop directly. If you look at screenshot, TeamViewer shortcut, The Outer Worlds shortcut and Steam shortcut do not appear in the Desktop folder. [ATTACH]...
  6. Icons not showing but text showing on desktop.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Icons not showing but text showing on desktop.: Hi! This is my first time on here and i need help so ill get straight to the point. So a few minutes ago as im writing this, i restarted my computer because my taskbar wasnt showing. So it turned back on, the taskbar was showing, but my icons were not but the text or title...
  7. Desktop showing XL icons

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Desktop showing XL icons: When turn on PC today ,desktop icons were XL.right click and check mark small icons,nothing change.Restart PC and red screen with wavy lines come on and load large icons . Open System restore and choose Nov.17 point of restoring. Now it’s over 3 hours and still is restoring...
  8. Desktop icons not showing

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons not showing: [img] As you can see from the above desktop icons are not showing. This happened after resizing desktop icons and then rebooting. I do not know what to do to solve problem. Please can anyone advise. Thank you. 30452
  9. Show Desktop icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Show Desktop icon: I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro and find that the 'Show Desktop' rectangular space at the far right side of the notification area is missing although posted desktop images Windows 10 have the same rectangular space. However, if I hover the cursor over the screen border in that...
  10. Icons not showing up on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons not showing up on desktop: Hello all, I've run into a problem on my laptop where icons are not showing up on the desktop. If I go to Personalization and add icons for My Computer, Recycle Bin, or whatever, they don't show up. Copy-pasting a file to the desktop, it doesn't show up. However, I can see...