Windows 10: Explorer opens a new window every time I double-click a folder

Discus and support Explorer opens a new window every time I double-click a folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, have you looked at View, Options, Change folder and Search options, and note option "Open each folder in its own window"? I don't have that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ireliavent, Nov 6, 2015.

1. dalchina New Member

Explorer opens a new window every time I double-click a folder

Hi, have you looked at View, Options, Change folder and Search options, and note option "Open each folder in its own window"?

I don't have that selected, but if I do, each folder opens in its own window.

(I've just skimmed this very quickly, so may not be what you need).

dalchina, Dec 18, 2015
  2. YOU
    You Win User

Not in my case.

3. belumada Win User
    belumada, Jan 23, 2016
  4. Explorer opens a new window every time I double-click a folder

I had to create an acccount on this forum just to say THANK YOU!

eduardojunio, Apr 15, 2016
  5. As the user above, I just registrered to say: THANK YOU! I LOVE YOU MAN
    You saved me, that problem was stressing me, **** it xD

YouKnowNothing, Jul 12, 2016
  6. Gobbo Win User
    I had installed it (and used also the Export As function) since 8 months. Never noticed the "deskotp folder" behavior.
    Yesterday Adobe CC for some reason wanted me to re-activate my student license. So I did, and the problem showed up.

Btw your post helped me solving this problem, thanks!

Gobbo, Jul 22, 2016
  7. And yet another who created an account JUST to say "thank you" -
    this "solution" fixed the issue for me also.

However, I have ONE additional point to make:
    I have NEVER used any Photoshop applications ?!

MikeDobson, Aug 16, 2016
  8. aub7 Win User

Hi guys,

First thanks to all, i have solved this too, i have opened a theard asking this same.

File Manager keep opening a folder in a new window - Windows 10 Forums

I dont know if somebody already said, but if like me someone has problems still after delete the key is because is some file explorer window still open.

Have to close all the file explorer and then delete the key again.

PD: sorry for my bad english.

9. everonman Win User
    Dude, Such a Legend

Had to make an account as well to say thaks

everonman, Sep 13, 2016
  10. fedyvenom Win User
    Thank you save my day. Terima Kasih @belumada

fedyvenom, Nov 22, 2016
  11. This actually worked for me. I created an account to say this!

If you are having two windows explorer panes open when you click a folder, close all explorer panes, delete the key with regedit, and restart explorer, this works!!

Just like the quoted said, if you have explorer open, you will need to delete the key again.

throwawayuser, Dec 28, 2016
  12. lofgrencj Win User
    I created an account just to show some love! Thank you! This helped me out!

The issue for me was similar. I do have Adobe products installed, and noticed randomly folders would open multiple times and in new windows. Checked through settings and everything, but still couldn't figure out what in the world was going on.

Anywho, after doing a little digging on the Interwebs, this was by far the most helpful. Make sure you have all explorer windows closed, and it'll definitely alleviate your issue.

I'm a developer and constantly have multiple windows open, so I can only assume you understand the frustration of having 30 windows open when having to navigate a hierarchy to get to files. LOL

Thanks again, Carter.

lofgrencj, Jan 14, 2017
  13. Explorer opens a new window every time I double-click a folder

Ok guys, not everything is working fine. I've killed all explorer process, deleted this key. When I run explorer, every double-click opens new window, and key appears again. Any ideas?

Chrzaszczu, Feb 22, 2017
  14. I registered too just to get on this thread. First of all, THANKS to the many posters before me who gave me a piece of the puzzle for my own PC. But it still wasn't always playing nice for me - then I realized - it always happened if I started my browsing with a folder in "Quick Access." If I went straight to a folder on my desktop, no problem.

But I didn't want to have to give up Quick Access, so what I did was change the "Open File Explorer to" setting in "Folder Options" (at the top of the "General" tab) from "Quick Access" to "This PC." Now it opens to This PC, but I can click on any folder in Quick Access and browse without it opening additional windows.

Hope this helps Chrzaszcu above and anyone else for whom deleting the registry key was not enough...

randomthinker, Mar 6, 2017
  15. Ugh or maybe not. Bug just started happening again out of nowhere.

randomthinker, Mar 6, 2017
Thema:

1. Explorer opens a new window every time I double-click a folder - Similar Threads - Explorer opens window

2. Double click on folders sometimes opens a new window

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Double click on folders sometimes opens a new window: It's an annoying and wired problem that I couldn't solve even with reinstalling the Windows, which when I click on a folder, the folders will be open in a new window sometimes...Note it doesn't happen always!I'm not sure if this happens with an update on Windows 10 or not. I...
  3. Double click on folders sometimes opens a new window

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Double click on folders sometimes opens a new window: It's an annoying and wired problem that I couldn't solve even with reinstalling the Windows, which when I click on a folder, the folders will be open in a new window sometimes...Note it doesn't happen always!I'm not sure if this happens with an update on Windows 10 or not. I...
  4. Double click on folders sometimes opens a new window

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Double click on the folder is not opening it

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Double click on the folder is not opening it: Folder on this location is not opening on double-click: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans What to do? Goran https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-click-on-the-folder-is-not-opening-it/aa21da0d-6dd6-4fa8-8573-baa846f4454a
  6. Double-clicking opens folders but not files

in Windows 10 Support
    Double-clicking opens folders but not files: When I double-click on a folder, the folder opens. Good. But when I double-click on a file or document for the first time, it doesn't open (i.e., it doesn't launch the application to read that file). Instead, the filename is shaded and there's a box around the filename as if...
  7. Windows explorer opens every time I click a desktop icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows explorer opens every time I click a desktop icon: Since the last windows 10 Pro 64-bit upgrade about 10 days ago, every time that I click a desktop icon to open an app, windows explorer opens. Does anyone know of this problem and how to fix it, ie stop windows explorer opening automatically...
  8. Unable to open folders when I double click.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to open folders when I double click.: Except for photos, whenever I double click on a file in a folder, I get the rotating donut and the file never opens. This happens for Word, PPT, Excel at least. It's not the mouse since doube click on photos in the folders opens the photo up immediately. It also happens...
  9. [SOLVED] Folders not opening with double click

in Windows 10 Support
    [SOLVED] Folders not opening with double click: Recently, an issue arised in which I can't open file folders with double click. The spinning wheel cursor shows up for a split second but nothing happens. I have to open context menu and choose Open to access the folder. I noticed I can't open folders within Chrome download...
  10. Double click folder opens new folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Double click folder opens new folder: I have a fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro and for some reason when I double click a folder, it opens a new folder. Also the the folders that show in the left side pane, if I click on eg music, it opens a new folder. I have 2 drives and when I open a folder from each and...