Windows 10: Explorer pane shows desktop as root, instead of "this PC"

Discus and support Explorer pane shows desktop as root, instead of "this PC" in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Beneath the quick access list in navigator, all I have is 'desktop'. Everything else is under that. But all the pics I've seen of windows 10 show 'this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by woodslanding, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Explorer pane shows desktop as root, instead of "this PC"

Beneath the quick access list in navigator, all I have is 'desktop'. Everything else is under that. But all the pics I've seen of windows 10 show 'this PC' as the top level link. I would much prefer that. "desktop' ends up being twice in the tree, and removable media twice as well. Well, actually desktop is right inside my user folder too!

Anybody know a fix? It's impossible to search for, as all the search terms bring up much more common problems.

I wish I could just decide in a simple way what is shown in this pane and in what order!!!

!
    Explorer pane shows desktop as root, instead of "this PC" [​IMG]

thanks
    -eric

:)

woodslanding, Jan 25, 2016
  2. Karenr45 Win User

file explorer in win10

On File Explorer on win10, the "left pane" has disappeared. Only Quick Access shows, not "this pc" like before the latest update. How do I get the left pane back?

Karenr45, Jan 25, 2016
  3. " Nokia Simple " theme - where it this theme?

hi,

Some days ago on page
    http://ea.mobile.nokia.com/content/spin/ea/6120c/en/theme/index.xhtml
    or in phone (nokia 6120c) themes/general/download themes/ was very cool theme (light cream white, black fonts) " Nokia Simple ", now its dissapear from this site. Where i can get it?
    or maybe somebody has it and could send to me.

thx

szympek123, Jan 25, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Explorer pane shows desktop as root, instead of "this PC"

I unpinned the File Explorer icon from the Taskbar then created a new shortcut to My PC and pinned it to the Taskbar.

Berton, Jan 25, 2016
  5. That does not work for me. I get the exact same layout of the navigation pane, no matter what I use to create it.

6. I even went to folder options and set the root to 'this PC' instead of quick access, and it still shows the desktop as root.

I don't want to have to see all my desktop folders, just to see my drives!!

7. KeithM Win User
    View tab -> Navigation Pnae button -> uncheck "Show all folders"

Explorer pane shows desktop as root, instead of "this PC" [​IMG]

Keith

KeithM, Jan 25, 2016
  8. Explorer pane shows desktop as root, instead of "this PC"

Thank you, that was it!!!

woodslanding, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Explorer pane shows desktop as root, instead of "this PC"

1. Explorer pane shows desktop as root, instead of "this PC" - Similar Threads - Explorer pane shows

2. Explorer Preview pane shows smaller previews

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer Preview pane shows smaller previews: Hi My explorer preview pane showing smaller preview than earlier. Please see the screen snip attached. d https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-preview-pane-shows-smaller-previews/6cc99a31-e92c-4d68-bab4-baca1fb7c2d9
  3. Explorer Preview pane shows smaller previews

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer Preview pane shows smaller previews: Hi My explorer preview pane showing smaller preview than earlier. Please see the screen snip attached. d https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-preview-pane-shows-smaller-previews/6cc99a31-e92c-4d68-bab4-baca1fb7c2d9
  4. Explorer Preview pane shows smaller previews

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. "Desktop" as Root in File Explorer instead of "This PC"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Desktop" as Root in File Explorer instead of "This PC": Hello,in my new Windows 11 setup, I have this weird bug where the "Desktop" is the first item in the left panel. I can't imagine this being intended. Does Anybody have a reg file to make "This PC" the root of the list?Thanks...
  6. "Desktop" as Root in File Explorer instead of "This PC"

"Desktop" as Root in File Explorer instead of "This PC": Hello,in my new Windows 11 setup, I have this weird bug where the "Desktop" is the first item in the left panel. I can't imagine this being intended. Does Anybody have a reg file to make "This PC" the root of the list?Thanks...
  7. "Show thumbnails instead of icons" disables preview pane

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Show thumbnails instead of icons" disables preview pane: I was trying to reduce performance issues in Windows 11 and noticed that "Show thumbnails instead of icons" option in the Performance settings, disables not only thumbnail previews instead of icons but also the preview pane. If this is expected behavior, this option should be...
  8. "Show thumbnails instead of icons" disables preview pane

"Show thumbnails instead of icons" disables preview pane: I was trying to reduce performance issues in Windows 11 and noticed that "Show thumbnails instead of icons" option in the Performance settings, disables not only thumbnail previews instead of icons but also the preview pane. If this is expected behavior, this option should be...
  9. Secondary drive folders in root are showing on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Secondary drive folders in root are showing on desktop: I'm having an issue where folders stored at the root of my secondary drive (W: in my case) are displaying on the desktop. For example, if I have a directory called W:\foo, a folder named 'foo' will show up on my desktop. The Properties window shows the location correctly...
  10. No disks showed on left pane of explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    No disks showed on left pane of explorer: I dont understand because in left pane..look my image [img] i see only disk E (why E and not others ) and not others disks like D, G etc.. i try to make a shortcut from right to left but nothing..why this ? Its possible see all my disk on left pane of explorer ??...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. this pc desktop explorer root