Windows 10: Explorer Preview pane image will not resize

Discus and support Explorer Preview pane image will not resize in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'll use the explorer preview pane regularly. I have multiple installs of windows 10 on different machines. On one in particular, I cannot get the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ThreePeak, Apr 21, 2017.

1. ThreePeak Win User

Explorer Preview pane image will not resize

I'll use the explorer preview pane regularly. I have multiple installs of windows 10 on different machines. On one in particular, I cannot get the preview image to resize/scale up when I drag the preview pane to be bigger. The default space it takes is fairly narrow, which is fine if you just want a rough idea. However, sometimes, I need to see the preview image in a bigger size. In most other installs, the default behavior is that dragging the preview pane border to the left makes the pane itself bigger, and the image being displayed inside scales up to fit the space (in almost all cases. Some exceptions). On this particular install, no matter what the size of the preview pane, the source image remains the same size. I can have the preview pane taking up 3/4 of the explorer window, and the preview image will still be the tiny size it was at default. I've seen this on other installs before, but in those cases, it was (oddly) only jpeg images that had this issue. Other formats resized. This has persisted across multiple builds of win 10, so not just a bug in the build (another machine with the same build doesn't have the issue). In fact, I just had the latest build update. Any ideas out there? It's particularly important to me because I have ridiculous amounts of images where there may be what appears to be an identical shot 20+ times at a glance, but with important differences I could tell them apart with if the preview was bigger.

:)

ThreePeak, Apr 21, 2017

2. windows media player rich preview handler displays in wrong Place (And in Task bar) after April update

I tried your steps but still could not fix the issue. I did notice something new though. Before reading your post I never tried resizing the preview pane. When I tried resizing the preview pane larger, the "floating preview pane" would get larger to a
    certain point and then start moving across my screen in proportion to my resizing the preview pane.

I have 3 monitors, 2 are 2560x1440 and one is 2560x1440 in portrait mode (so 1440x2560)

I have made the preview pane as wide as it can go and made my Windows Explorer window as wide as it can go which is 2560x2+1440 pixels. And then I made it as high as it can go which is 2560 pixels and the preview pane never went back inside Explorer. I
    have tested this on a video which is 640x480 in size so it would have definitely fit inside the preview pane.

Microsoft, please fix this issue already.

MikeRotch_76, Apr 21, 2017
  3. Exit15_15 Win User
    Windows Explorer Crashes when Resizing or Snapping to a Side.

This solution worked. The problem occurs when the Preview Pane is on and the size of the window is too small to contain both the list of files and the Preview Pane. File Explorer remembers the last size your window was resized to and will toggle between
    full screen and the last size.

After applying the above fix, I resized the window to about 1/4 of the screen and turned the Preview Pane back on. Now I can toggle between full screen and 1/4 screen without any issue.

Exit15_15, Apr 21, 2017
  4. ThreePeak Win User

Explorer Preview pane image will not resize [​IMG]
    Here is a screen shot of what I mean. If I drag the preview pane as far right as possible to minimum size, that preview image will be basically exactly the same size

ThreePeak, Apr 21, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, is this the same in Safe Mode?

dalchina, Apr 21, 2017
  6. Stevekir Win User
    As I understand it, Safe Mode is no longer available in Windows 10. Tickling F8 (I think that was the key) does nothing. If I am wrong, how to get it please?

Stevekir, Apr 21, 2017
  7. bro67 Win User
    bro67, Apr 21, 2017
  8. ThreePeak Win User

Sorry for the long gap on this thread. I was using a different pc for a while, so this issue kind of fell off my radar. However, now I am back using the PC that has the above issue and I have no other choice. Worse, a large chunk of what I need to do will involve working with and sorting through TONS of media and pictures. To the point it is not practical to open each one, and the thumbnails aren't quite large enough to help distinguish which one I need without opening them. (yes, even with the thumbnail size maxed). The result is the same in safe mode. Now, does ANYBODY have any ideas or clues whatsoever? Yes, the easy answer most will reach for is "re-install". I would really prefer to avoid this, as I have multiple assets that I will not be able to re-install with a blank slate and some other things that will make it prohibitive.

I have a feeling it's probably not some super obvious straight forward, easy to change setting the way windows 10 tends to simplify things for the average user. I'm also on the newer build of windows 10 16232.r2. And I'm pretty sure the windows build has been updated and installed at least 3 or 4 times since typing the original thread message. Not quite a re-install obviously, but with a new build image being rolled out multiple times...seems unlikely it's something that just needs fresh system files. I could be dead wrong, but for some reason, I have a hunch this will end up having to be resolved by some registry tweak or change. But I need someone in the know to point me in the right direction

ThreePeak, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Explorer Preview pane image will not resize - Similar Threads - Explorer Preview pane

2. Preview Pane in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Preview Pane in File Explorer: Does anyone know why my Previrew Pane is showing an Index?***Moved from Microsoft 365 and Office / Other / For business / Other*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/preview-pane-in-file-explorer/bd53d4ec-158c-43c0-a519-6a5840634053
  3. File Explorer...No image in Preview Pane sometimes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer...No image in Preview Pane sometimes: Well...This is weird. Immediately after I deleted the OneDrive app from my PC, the following occurred: In File Explorer...if I haven’t edited an image in one of my apps like Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop, etc....it doesn’t show in the Preview Pane:...
  4. File Explorer...No image in Preview Pane sometimes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer...No image in Preview Pane sometimes: Well...This is weird. Immediately after I deleted the OneDrive app from my PC, the following occurred: In File Explorer...if I haven’t edited an image in one of my apps like Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop, etc....it doesn’t show in the Preview Pane:...
  5. File Explorer...No image in Preview Pane sometimes

6. Preview Pane Images Squashed

Preview Pane Images Squashed: I searched the forums and couldn't find a satisfactory answer to this issue. Some of my photos jpg files show incorrectly in the preview pane of Windows 10 Explorer. They appear squashed and because these photos were taken in portrait mode and Explorer is previewing them as...
  7. Resize Preview Image in Preview Pane

Resize Preview Image in Preview Pane: Even though I resize the preview pane, my image preview very small. My other computers are fine, but the one I'm using right now is the only PC that does this. I tried every method I found on the Internet and nothing works. Is there a solution to this?...
  8. Preview pane and Image Icons

Preview pane and Image Icons: Why have most 90% in some folders of my images stopped displaying either as Large Icons or in Preview? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/preview-pane-and-image-icons/39f730b8-5d36-45e4-99b8-884fe2dce944
  9. Explorer Preview Pane

in Windows 10 Customization
    Explorer Preview Pane: I work in the architecture community and need the ability to preview pdf's with the preview pane. Worked fine in the past, but now I can't zoom to see the whole sheet in the preview pane. No matter what I do, this is the fixed level of zoom. See image. [ATTACH]...
  10. file explorer preview pane

file explorer preview pane: Problem I`m having is the preview pane will show pdf`s fine, but will not preview jpegs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-preview-pane/3166cd80-4954-4b11-8def-bf594a2d9831"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. resize preview pane

2. resize preview pane windows 10

3. Unable to resize the preview pane in Windows 10

4. windows 10 resize preview pane,
  5. preview pane window resize,
  6. cant resize preview pane,
  7. resize folder preview,
  8. win10 explorer preview pane enlarge pics,
  9. resize preview pane in file explorer