Windows 10: Explorer says folder does not exist when in fact it does

Discus and support Explorer says folder does not exist when in fact it does in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to move a folder one level upwards. To illustrate: Folder A contains Folder B, which then contains Folder C Folder A -> Folder B... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ajfudge, Jul 28, 2016.

1. ajfudge Win User

Explorer says folder does not exist when in fact it does

I'm trying to move a folder one level upwards.
    To illustrate:

Folder A contains Folder B, which then contains Folder C
    I want to move Folder C to Folder A, like this:
    But then Explorer prompts me with this message:

Explorer says folder does not exist when in fact it does [​IMG]

In fact, the folder is already there. So I don't know why Windows would think otherwise.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

:)

ajfudge, Jul 28, 2016
  2. David Haz Win User

Folder Does Not Exist

Hello,

It could be that an application is blocking or interfering with the downloading of the app on your device. For us to see if it is a general issue in downloading apps in Windows 10, kindly attempt to download a different app through your browser or through
    the Microsoft Store.

If it is specific to the app that you are downloading, we suggest that you contact the app developer.

We look forward to an update from you.

David Haz, Jul 28, 2016
  3. Folder Does Not Exist

So I was going to download Disord on my Windows 10 PC and the error message pops up saying:

Unable to write to C:\ProgramData\Fun - IT policies may be restricting access to this folder

So what I did was go into Run, and entered "%programdata%" into the prompt. As expected, I was sent to "C:\ProgramData". I looked but there was no folder with "Fun" as its name.

I went back into Run and typed "C:\ProgramData\Fun", and it said this:

Windows cannot find 'C:\ProgramData\Fun'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

Now, what I did is make a folder called "Fun" in ProgramData, and tried again; the setup found the folder, but I deleted the folder later.

I concluded that the folder does not exist. What should I do?

-{Username[acruz]}-, Jul 28, 2016
  4. AndreyT Win User

You need to provide a better description of the problem. What is 'D:\Station\Portables' in this case? A, B or C?

AndreyT, Jul 28, 2016
  5. ajfudge Win User
    @AndreyT,
    "Portables" is Folder A.

ajfudge, Jul 28, 2016
  6. Can you see folder A (Portables) in Explorer?
    Have you tried:
    • Copy (not move) folder C to the desktop then delete folder C from the original position (folder B)
    • Copy (not move) folder C to folder A then delete folder C from the desktop

Also try:
    File Explorer History - Clear in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

FrillyBits, Jul 29, 2016
  7. ajfudge Win User
    @FrillyBits
    -Yes, I can see Folder A in Explorer.

-Actually, Folder C came from disk G:/ that I copied to Folder B because I wasn't able to copy to Folder A (Explorer also says Portables doesn't exist). I only copied to Folder B because Explorer allowed it. When I tried copying from Folder B to Folder A, it still says that Portables doesn't exist. I checked "Security" Properties, but I'm the owner of all folders. I also tried other "copier" like TeraCopy, but it only hangs.

ajfudge, Jul 29, 2016
  8. ajfudge Win User

I'd like to just update this issue because I have resolved it now.
    So to anyone who's experiencing something similar, check if the folder that you're copying contains symbolic links (aka soft links or symlinks). I have Link Shell Extension installed to easily do symlinks. If you also have it installed on your PC, make sure that the version you have is updated. The painstaking part is re-doing the symlinks so they could be copied from directory to directory, or folder to folder, without error.

Hope this helps.

ajfudge, Aug 9, 2016
  9. SoFine409 Win User
    Hi ajfudge, Glad you got your problem fixed. If you could mark the thread solved it would help other people who are looking for a solution to a similar problem. FYI, only the thread started can make the thread solved.

SoFine409, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Explorer says folder does not exist when in fact it does - Similar Threads - Explorer says folder

2. Folder That Does Not Exist

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder That Does Not Exist: I download multiples archives through, but during the process, I delete some of it. And now, there are folders that exist and I simply can't delete them, and they hinder all file transfers. When I try to delete them, Windows says it can't find the folder, even though it shows...
  3. Folder That Does Not Exist

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder That Does Not Exist: I download multiples archives through, but during the process, I delete some of it. And now, there are folders that exist and I simply can't delete them, and they hinder all file transfers. When I try to delete them, Windows says it can't find the folder, even though it shows...
  4. Folder That Does Not Exist

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Sign in says Microsoft account does not exist when it does

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sign in says Microsoft account does not exist when it does: Trying to sign in to Microsoft Store. It says that my Microsoft account does not exist. It 100% definitely does. In fact I'm signed into it now as I write this. To double check I just opened a browser and logged in to my account where I can see my applications and...
  6. Sign in says Microsoft account does not exist when it does

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sign in says Microsoft account does not exist when it does: Trying to sign in to Microsoft Store. It says that my Microsoft account does not exist. It 100% definitely does. In fact I'm signed into it now as I write this. To double check I just opened a browser and logged in to my account where I can see my applications and...
  7. "The file or folder does not exist" when creating a folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "The file or folder does not exist" when creating a folder: Hello, I had a mklink folder created in my Dropbox folder. It was My Documents folder. I since removed it and I want to create a folder called Documents in my Dropbox folder. When I try to create this folder I get ""The file or folder does not exist" error and then a folder...
  8. Deleting a folder that Windows says does not exist

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting a folder that Windows says does not exist: Does anyone know how to delete a folder that Windows 10 salys does not exist but I can see in file explorer. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-a-folder-that-windows-says-does-not-exist/c9b86f7a-8f7b-4381-a25a-17a1d5563a35
  9. KB4528760 tricks monitor into thinking there is no signal when signal in fact does exist

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    KB4528760 tricks monitor into thinking there is no signal when signal in fact does exist: I use a Sapphire Pulse Radeon RC Vega 56 HDMI / Triple DP OC UEFI with aNixeus NX-VUE24B 24" 1920 x 1080 AMD FreeSync 144Hz Gaming Monitor. The GPU is freesync 2-compatible, but the screen is not freesync 2 if that makes a difference to someone. Something in the tricks the...
  10. I cannot delete a folder that "does not exist" (but it does)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I cannot delete a folder that "does not exist" (but it does): I tried to remove that folder using rmdir command in cmd, but it's no use. I haven't found other solutions on the Internet. So what else can I do?...