Windows 10: Explorer Search keeps Crashing

Discus and support Explorer Search keeps Crashing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, In File Explorer, if I type in search field the word "trad" the Explorer Crashes after few seconds of searching and all the Desktop crashes too... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Adalwar, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Adalwar Win User

Explorer Search keeps Crashing

Hi,
    In File Explorer, if I type in search field the word "trad" the Explorer Crashes after few seconds of searching and all the Desktop crashes too and resets.

Instead, if I type only the first 3 letters ("tra") it does work, no crash.

What is that?

:)

Adalwar, Nov 17, 2016
  2. EckiS Win User

File Explorer crashes when opening folders with lots of video thumbnails

there are reports of problems with kb4013418:

Windows Explorer keeps crashing after update

and others blame
    KB4013429 for crashes invarious media players due to the new version of CompPkgSup.dll.

EckiS, Nov 17, 2016
  3. Windows explorer keeps crashing, computer keeps freezing

Hi Habib,

Thank you for your reply.

I appreciate your effort, sorry for the delay and inconvenience.

CPU usage will go high, if there are some unnecessary applications get loaded with the operating system.

I would suggest you to perform following steps and check.

Method 1: Run System Maintenance troubleshooter and check.

1. Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

2. Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

3. Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

1. Run the System Maintenance troubleshooter.

Method 2: We will check the functionality in safe mode with networking.

You may use the steps mentioned in this link to boot to Safe Mode with Networking.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-my/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. You may also troubleshoot or
    determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot.

Follow this link:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Important note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting.”

Method 3: Bad sectors on the hard drive can be a cause for high disk usage. (Run Check disk)

If you not run the 'check disk' scan or tried optimizing the drive, follow the steps from this article.

Improve performance by optimizing your drive

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/improve-performance-optimizing-hard-drive

Important: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive, it tries to repair that sector and any data available on that might be lost.

Method 4: As your Windows hangs or freezes refer the following article for help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2681286?wa=wsignin1.0

Important note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Hope this information helps and let us know the status of the issue we will be glad to help you further.

Sudharshan M K, Nov 17, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, You may have some file corruption/disk problem.

Suggest you try changing your search range (where you are searching). If you have disk problems, you may be able to find out in which folder this is failing.

And of course run this:
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

You may also like to run Crystal Diskinfo (free) to check your SMART parameters.

Reference your very recent post here:
    Event ID 7 - Harddisk has a Bad Block - Windows 10 Forums

You can also try Macrorit Diskscanner (free)

dalchina, Nov 17, 2016
  5. Adalwar Win User
    Hi dalchina,
    Thank you.

I did run CHKDSK and no Bad Errors or any other error at all.
    I restored 1607.351 Image and problem persists.

It is very curious that searching for "tra" is going well, but adding the letter "d" to the search it crashes.
    I am not seeing any relationship to anything else than a "poor" Windows.

Adalwar, Nov 17, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Try the other things I mentioned. Note overlaps with your bad block post.

Search Index - Rebuild in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

You may be indexing an area without appropriate permissions.

Try noting the areas you are currently indexing (Control Panel, Indexing Options), resetting that to default, rebuilding the index, and trying again with tra/trad.

Then try selectively adding a bit more (assuming what you are currently indexing is different to default) and repeating that.

Repeat until search fails. This should give you a clue as to what is indexed that is causing a problem, assuming that's what it is.

You will have to do some diagnosis yourself. 'tra' is ok on mine.

dalchina, Nov 17, 2016
  7. Adalwar Win User
    Thank you dalchina,
    I will "investigate" that with Indexes.

"tra" is OK, the search completes successfully. But "trad" fails just after 10s or so.

Adalwar, Nov 17, 2016
  8. Adalwar Win User

OK , I did rebuilb the Index, did not help.

I did test it on Partition C / D /F and there is no problem, it is working, only on my last partition G is crashing. This partition is about 500GB, while the others are much smaller, the biggest is 220GB.
    Is there a relation ship?

Adalwar, Nov 17, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Simply restrict what's indexed until you can identify what's tripping explorer up.

E.g. if you have folders A, B, C, D on drive G, index only A, try it. If ok try B and so on.

Or if you're really lucky, search only A, then search only B..
    It depends if it's the presence of sthg in the index that's the problem, or where you search that's the problem.

dalchina, Nov 17, 2016
  10. Adalwar Win User
    Hi dalchina,
    I have not anything Indexed on Partitions D/F/G. The indexing is setup for minimal and on Partition C.
    Still, I do not understand or what it has to do with Indexing, when with 3 letters it works and with 4 letters it crashes.
    Any way I am running CHKDSK /R on partition G , it will take several hours until it finish.

EDIT: CHKDSK /R just finished, no errors found. Tested again the Search it crashed, no change.
    Any Ideas?

Adalwar, Nov 17, 2016
  11. Adalwar Win User
    I have been looking in Event Viewer and the Crash of Explorer is also logged
    Seems that MSVCR90.Dll is faulty

Adalwar, Nov 17, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Hi I was going to ask if you'd checked the crash report...

Ok, since chkdsk ran ok, from an elevated command prompt run
    sfc /scannow
    This will take some time (and may fail).

dalchina, Nov 17, 2016
  13. Adalwar Win User

I did the SFC/Scannow but there are some errors.
    Search still crashes.
    I will stop losing more time around windows.
    Thank you for trying to help me.

Adalwar, Nov 17, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    If in doubt, do an in-place upgrade repair install.

dalchina, Nov 17, 2016
  15. Adalwar Win User
    Now it is working!
    I reboot in Safe Mode to uninstall some Network Drivers, and tried just now and it is working
    Incredible.

Adalwar, Nov 17, 2016
Thema:

1. Explorer Search keeps Crashing - Similar Threads - Explorer Search keeps

2. Explorer keeps crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer keeps crashing: Hi!I'm having an issue with the Explorer pinned shortcuts in the Taskbar. Whenever I'm trying to open any pinned shortcut in Explorer, it crashes immediately and restarts it. I can tell that this is happening because the Taskbar disappears a few moments before it comes...
  3. Explorer keeps crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer keeps crashing: Hi!I'm having an issue with the Explorer pinned shortcuts in the Taskbar. Whenever I'm trying to open any pinned shortcut in Explorer, it crashes immediately and restarts it. I can tell that this is happening because the Taskbar disappears a few moments before it comes...
  4. Explorer keeps crashing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer keeps crashing.: I am currently running on Windows 11 Insider Beta channel with the 22621.160 updated days ago and it went fine until this happen.So I was booting up my laptop normally and when I got through the lock screen, the explorer keeps crashing over and over.Task manager can be...
  5. Explorer keeps crashing.

Explorer keeps crashing.: I am currently running on Windows 11 Insider Beta channel with the 22621.160 updated days ago and it went fine until this happen.So I was booting up my laptop normally and when I got through the lock screen, the explorer keeps crashing over and over.Task manager can be...
  6. explore keeps crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    explore keeps crashing: Dear Microsoft Community. i've run into a nasty explore crash every time i'm "too fast" working it crash, especially when right clicking.. tried every fix i could find but nothing helps! yesterday i got enough of it and made a clean reinstall of windows just to discover it...
  7. explore keeps crashing

explore keeps crashing: Dear Microsoft Community. i've run into a nasty explore crash every time i'm "too fast" working it crash, especially when right clicking.. tried every fix i could find but nothing helps! yesterday i got enough of it and made a clean reinstall of windows just to discover it...
  8. Explorer keeps crashing

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer keeps crashing: I'll be using my computer then every once in a while explorer will crash and then display the message below and then restart explorer. I'm not sure what is causing it or how to make explorer quit crashing. Error Message: The instruction at 0x0000000002930FD8 referenced...
  9. Windows 10 - search not working and file explorer keeps crashing

in Cortana
    Windows 10 - search not working and file explorer keeps crashing: Hi! My windows search bar doesn't work, it automatically closes when I try to open it, also when I click on windows logo on the bottom left it automatically closes the start popup. I cant open pictures or videos it says file system error -2147163901, and my file explorer...
  10. Windows File Explorer keeps crashing when searching for tags

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows File Explorer keeps crashing when searching for tags: i have around 1200+ files tagged every one with 1 or more than 20 tags each when i search for at least one tag in file explorer it shows some results than it crashes if i go to a folder where there is only few files it doesn't crash but when i go back to the parent folder it...