Windows 10: Explorer search not working with additional HD

Discus and support Explorer search not working with additional HD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have tried to rebulid the index multiple times and it still will not work. when I go into a folder containing music and try to search and artist it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Slue, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Slue Win User

Explorer search not working with additional HD

I have tried to rebulid the index multiple times and it still will not work. when I go into a folder containing music and try to search and artist it always says "No Items Match Your Search" This is a second hard drive added to my computer for storage. Anyone know how to solve this. It is very frustrating

:)

2. Windows 10 Explorer Search Tool Not Working With Google Drive

The only thing I found that worked, after searching many times, is this answer: the security permissions are screwed up on Google Drive folders on many Windows PCs. No one knows why. But this works:

Windows 8.1 File Explorer Search Does Not Work

"

GS

Grant Spencer replied on

A:

I have had this same problem for a long time and this is what solved it for me.

Go to the Google Drive Folder which for me was in C:/Users/UserName/Google Drive

Right Click, Go to Properties, Go to the Security Tab, Click the Advanced button, and then click the button that says "Enable Inheritance".

DanielStripedTiger, Jun 23, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Explorer Search Tool Not Working With Google Drive

This is kinda ironic that I would have to tell a Microsoft tech that there is no
    Command Prompt option using the Windows+X button. In Windows 10, it is called:
    Windows PowerShell - Now, I've been using Windows since it was the DOS (Disk Operating System) Command Prompt (pre Windows) but other users would be completely confused by the Microsoft tech NOT calling it by it's proper Windows 10
    name.

Also, for me, the two DISM commands completed successfully but Google Drive is STILL unsearchable. Gee, wonder if the Windows 10 Update I applied a couple days ago screwed up the Google Drive search? It was working fine before I applied the update?

I bring up Google Drive and keyin: *.odt (to search for all files ending with the Open Office file extension) = Nothing found.

I keyin: *.jpg ...or... just, jpg = Nothing Found - in fact, NOTHING is found regardless of the Search option I use on Google Drive.

Let me speculate, now, Microsoft and Google are competitors, right? I wonder if Microsoft would INTENTIONALLY sabotage my Google Drive from being properly searched? Maybe, the folks at Microsoft are laughing so hard they have tears in their eyes... maybe?

RangeNKate, Jun 23, 2016
  4. Explorer search not working with additional HD

I don't use the Windows search I use Everything Search Engine by Voidtools but I have noticed the same problem.
    Everything will only find the artist if their name is also in the song name. It will find a folder I created called The Beatles - Abbey Road but it won't find the songs in the folder.
    It might be that Windows search is the same, you could test it: Rename a song by putting the artist name in the song name and see if it finds it.
    If yes then my only suggestion is to open the music folder and in the Menu go to View then select Details then click on Contributing Artists This will sort the songs by artist and make it easier to find what you want

FrillyBits, Jun 24, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, this works for me on a USB flash drive (not indexed)- E.g. search for songs by Abba, enter
    artist:abba
    in the search box. And for songs without Abba in the title. How did you specify the search?

Rebuilding the index applies to indexed locations. It is unlikely an external drive will be indexed, thus rebuilding the index would not be relevant. (E.g. you would have to add it to indexed locations, and ensure it was always allocated the same drive letter- which is possible to do-, and your PC would have to be idle long enough for it to be indexed 1st time).

Note: ref. 'Contributing Artists' - you may well have to add the column to the explorer view for it to be available.

dalchina, Jun 24, 2016
  6. swarfega Win User
    When you go into indexing options, is the music library listed?

You can add the location where the music actually is by clicking modify button and adding the location. You could add the entire drive if you wanted to.

swarfega, Jun 24, 2016
  7. If you right click on the folder and select Properties then Customize then select Music from the dropdown menu the Contributing Artists column will automatically appear along with other relevant columns
    There is also a column called Album artist but this doesn't always have the artist listed, I don't know why not.

FrillyBits, Jun 24, 2016
  8. Slue Win User

The Music Folder is listed in the Index. Even If I search just * it will not show up any files. The Folders on my desktop search just fine

9. Edwin New Member
    Try Explorer Search:

explorer shell:::{9343812e-1c37-4a49-a12e-4b2d810d956b}

Edwin, Jun 24, 2016
  10. This second hard drive is NTFS format ?

FrillyBits, Jun 24, 2016
  11. Slue Win User
    How do I use explorer search ?

12. Edwin New Member
    Create a desktop shortcut using the aforementioned Run command:

Explorer search not working with additional HD [​IMG]

(If there's an official tutorial on this, either I or Brink will post it)

Edwin, Jun 25, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

1. Open explorer (e.g. Windows key + E) - or type 'explorer' in the Cortana search box on the taskbar and click 'File explorer' or via the shortcut on the taskbar ....
    2. In the search box top right (you should see text 'Search this PC') type what you are searching for.
    3. Press the Return key.
    4. Look for your results in that window.

Please see my earlier post on suggestion as to what to type.

Note that indexed results will be fast (but only some things are indexed by default) - see Indexing options in the Control Panel e.g.
    Non-indexed searching is slower.

3rd party solutions as previously suggested yield fast results.

Creating the shortcut as suggested simply opens explorer and puts your mouse cursor in the explorer search box.

dalchina, Jun 25, 2016
  14. Slue Win User
    That only found results on my C: Drive. I want to be able to search my B: drive. Even if I use the * search in my B: drive. Nothing shows up

15. dalchina New Member
    Hi, please confrm that you can browse the file structure normally on your B: drive.
    If you can't get explorer search to work for you on that, after all the discussion to date, then

either
    - use a 3rd party solution as has been suggested
    or
    post screenshots to show exactly what's happening
    or
    Check the smart parameter for your disks (e.. Crystal Disk Info
    or
    run
    chkdsk <drive letter> /F
    from an elevated command prompt.

try
    sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt first.

- if necessary do an in-place upgrade repair,
    Precede it with this in case sthg has happened to your file system:

From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed.
    Post back the result, which will be on the screen briefly.
    Otherwise you can get the result as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)
    - inactive title bar colouring (if used) will be reset to default
    - if Qttabbar is installed, you need to re-enable it in explorer (Options, check Qttabbar)
    This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Recommendation:
    Before you perform this major repair procedure, do create a disk image.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect (free/commercial) + boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Jun 27, 2016
Thema:

1. Explorer search not working with additional HD - Similar Threads - Explorer search working

2. File explorer and additional pane

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer and additional pane: Good morning, Following Windows update Windows 11 Pro, File Explorer add a new pane between the actual files and the navigation pane, that includes options such as New, cut, copy, paste and etc. Please could someone guide me how to hide it....
  3. search & file explorer search not working

in Cortana
    search & file explorer search not working: Whenever I try to search in the Windows search bar it just closes. Even my file explorer keeps on hanging. Tried to do system restore before and its just stop. What else?...
  4. search & file explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    search & file explorer search not working: Whenever I try to search in the Windows search bar it just closes. Even my file explorer keeps on hanging. Tried to do system restore before and its just stop. What else?...
  5. search & file explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. windows explorer search not working?

in Windows 10 Support
    windows explorer search not working?: Version 20H2 (OS build 19043.1110) Hi, I have an odd problem, if I click on windows explorer and get the explorer page up I can do most things in there other than search? If I put one of my directories in the top left box i.e. >users and type anything into the right hand box...
  7. Search Bar and Explorer not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search Bar and Explorer not working: Two days ago I was navigating through my files then out of nowhere the Explorer crashed, I tried to open it again only for it to crash seconds after opening the folder again. While trying to fix the problem I also discovered that my Search Bar closed before I was able to type...
  8. Explorer and taskbar search not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer and taskbar search not working: Build 1904.338 When I click into the search bar the cursor doesnt appear, a black box briefly appears above and I cannot type. The same happens in the File Explorer search box. After many frustrating googles and many blind allys I am stuck trying to find out if the search...
  9. hide additional search information

in Cortana
    hide additional search information: I've just reinstalled windows 10 pro with the latest updates and I've noticed that my search menu looks a bit different. There's a large space on the right with additional information that I don't want to see. Is there anyone to minimize or collapse this? [ATTACH]...
  10. Internal Or External HD Addition ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Internal Or External HD Addition ?: Hello, New desktop pc that came with 1 TB HD. Debating installing another internal 1 TB HD vs just using an external one. Lots of Photos, and another user with lots of video, etc. The only advantage that I can see for another internal one is that it is probably...