Windows 10: Explorer sees sys image on usb drive, restore function does not?

Discus and support Explorer sees sys image on usb drive, restore function does not? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm new here so please bear with me *Smile, Home built ASUS P5Q-E, Xeon 5460 cpu, 16gb ddr2 1066 ram, 3 MSI GTX560 ti's, Win 10 ver. 1607.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jayfontaine1, May 30, 2017.

1. Explorer sees sys image on usb drive, restore function does not?

Hi all, I'm new here so please bear with me *Smile,

Home built ASUS P5Q-E, Xeon 5460 cpu, 16gb ddr2 1066 ram, 3 MSI GTX560 ti's, Win 10 ver. 1607.

I have an external USB hard drive (300 gb sata 10k rpm) internal the same. created a restore image several weeks ago, tested it, worked fine. The other day my main drive failed, installed WD 400 gb 7200 rpm sata as a replacement (low level format, reformatted NTFS, correct MBR, etc.). Reinstalled win 7 (10 is a free upgrade), ran win 10 .ISO, all installed ok but with issues ( very slow boot, shutdown and access of apps but all works).

Went to restore with system image backup. I can see image and associated files on usb drive in Explorer but win 7 system image restore can't see system image and/or usb drive.Tried everything I could find on internet, still no luck.

Callled MS Help (free?) they took control of pc, could not make it work, did some digging and they determined that some "system drivers" were not working or corrupt but that for $199.00 USD they could fix it?

I updated and checked every driver both system and device, all are up to date and functional. The only thing strange that I have noticed is that in the system backup image file on the usb drive I see 2 system image files, 1 is my original and I have no idea where the other came from but it is a different date than the original file.

Please help me as I am pulling what little hair I have left out (obtw, I'm 72 *Wink yrs young and just starting a new business!)

:)

jayfontaine1, May 30, 2017

2. Installing Additional SSD & Want To Move Windows 10 (pro) Onto It

But a new install of 10 first on new disk will probably create sys rec on drive, but it still probably may not find image on disk 1 because they are new sys rec files and have no idea the image was created.

I would first, with old drive go to the options advanced system image restore and during process see if windows finds the image, just to test and see

seahawks65, May 30, 2017
  3. TMWGray Win User
    Backup fails shows the error code 0x8007007B

Eeshwar Kumar,

Thanks for the response,

Prior to your reply I tried clearing the USB drive and creating a Sys Image and it failed. Message was:

Windows Backup encountered an error when writing data to the backup target. (0x80780166) time 26/05/2016 22:25 (UK time)

Additional information:

The system cannot find the file specified (0x80070002). I gave up after that.

On receiving your reply today I created a Sys Restore point as advised.

I then tried a Sys Image only and it worked ok and completed the task. It also advised to create a Sys Repair Disc which I have done although I did have one I created earlier.

Creating a Sys Restore point seems a very easy and simple solution to resolve this issue and I’m a wee bit doubtful about it but I’m not a technical person. Perhaps it had something to do with clearing the USB drive (which was only 50% full). I will
    now wait and see if the scheduled Backup Files and Folders/ Sys Image task runs ok at 18:00 UK time. Hopefully it does the trick.

I’ll let you know.

Tom M W Gray

TMWGray, May 30, 2017
  4. SIW2 Win User

Explorer sees sys image on usb drive, restore function does not?

Did you try booting the installation media and use the restore function from that?

Thema:

Explorer sees sys image on usb drive, restore function does not?

1. Explorer sees sys image on usb drive, restore function does not? - Similar Threads - Explorer sees sys

2. my computer does not see my usb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my computer does not see my usb drive: my computer does not see my usb device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-does-not-see-my-usb-drive/d3a46900-232b-4091-8fdd-e7cd4e6ba80e
  3. my computer does not see my usb drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my computer does not see my usb drive: my computer does not see my usb device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-does-not-see-my-usb-drive/d3a46900-232b-4091-8fdd-e7cd4e6ba80e
  4. USB Drive does not show up in Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Drive does not show up in Explorer: I installed Windows 10 using a Pen drive created by me from an ISO file of Windows downloaded. But the drive is not there in the explorer in order to eject it safely?...
  5. Backup and restore sees d drive as system drive and wants to image it

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup and restore sees d drive as system drive and wants to image it: Backup and Restore Windows 7 see my D Drive as a system drive and insists on imaging it. I have some Windows Apps on D that I don't want to put on C for space reasons. The new Flight Simulator is very large and I don't want it on C. Thanks Pat...
  6. Windows won't see USB drive containing restore

Windows won't see USB drive containing restore: Hey dudes, here's something strange. I tried to restore a colleagues' netbook by using a formatted USB stick which contains a fresh Windows image... But here's the point, after setting the startup option in the BIOS to start up via USB... nothing happens! It just won't see...
  7. Restore zip functionality to File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restore zip functionality to File Explorer: A while back I installed a 3rd party zip application to open a compressed folder I've never heard of before. After doing that, my File Explorer lost its ability to open .ZIP files. So I uninstalled the 3rd party application but it did not fix my ZIP function. I have been...
  8. Unable to see External USB Drive in Explorer Window

Unable to see External USB Drive in Explorer Window: I have an external USB drive with data from a previous computer that I want to transfer to my new Surface2 Computer. Device manager says it is working properly and drivers are up to date, but I can not access it through Explorer window. I don't see the option to add a drive...
  9. Restore OS USB installed OS but does not function

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore OS USB installed OS but does not function: I needed to create a recovery USB for my work laptop, so I created one using 'create a recovery drive' method. I launched the laptop through the USB, ran the OS installation and restarted as it asked. However, upon restart it did not appear to have worked. The OS was either...
  10. sys image backup does not work

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    sys image backup does not work: I am using an ASUS A88XM-A mother board. I have made several system image backups on several different external drives. When i have tried to recover my system with the the backup drives I get the message the file format is incorrect ntfs your bios is set to EFI?. This is...