Windows 10: Export and Import Default App Associations for New Users in Windows

Discus and support Export and Import Default App Associations for New Users in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Export and Import Default App Associations for New Users in Windows How to Export and Import Custom Default App Associations for New Users in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by VandIT, Aug 17, 2015.

1. VandIT Win User

Export and Import Default App Associations for New Users in Windows

How to: Export and Import Default App Associations for New Users in Windows

How to Export and Import Custom Default App Associations for New Users in Windows 10

You can use the default application association-servicing commands to import, export, list, and remove the settings that specify which application opens a file based on the file name extension type or protocol.

This tutorial will show you how to export and import your custom default app associations in Windows 10 to be applied for each new user afterwards during their first sign in.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to export, import, and remove default app associations.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Export Custom Default App Associations
    • Option Two: To Import Custom Default App Associations for New Users
    • Option Three: To Remove Custom Default App Associations

OPTION ONE [/i] To Export Custom Default App Associations

*note This option exports the custom default app associations from your account to an .xml file.
    1. Choose all of the default apps you want to open files with. This is what will be exported.

2. When finished, open an elevated command prompt.

3. Copy and paste the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow dism /online /Export-DefaultAppAssociations:"%UserProfile%\Desktop\MyDefaultAppAssociations.xml"

Export and Import Default App Associations for New Users in Windows [​IMG]

4. You will now have a MyDefaultAppAssociations.xml file on your desktop that is your custom default app associations.

5. You can now close the elevated command prompt if you like, or continue on to Option Two below to import the .xml file.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Import Custom Default App Associations for New Users

*note This option imports your exported custom default app associations from Option One to be applied for each new user afterwards during their first sign in instead of using Windows default app associations.

Users will still be able to make changes to their default apps.
    1. If you have not already, copy the exported MyDefaultAppAssociations.xml file from Option One to your desktop.

2. Open an elevated command prompt.

3. Copy and paste the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

*note If you renamed the MyDefaultAppAssociations.xml file or it's at another location than your desktop, then you will need to change the part of the command in red below for the new name and/or full path.

*Arrow dism /online /Import-DefaultAppAssociations:"%UserProfile%\Desktop\MyDefaultAppAssociations.xml"

4. You can now close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Remove Custom Default App Associations

*note This option removes the imported custom default app associations from Option Two to have Windows default app associations applied for each new user afterwards during their first sign in instead of your custom default app associations.
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Copy and paste the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Dism.exe /Online /Remove-DefaultAppAssociations

3. You can now close the elevated command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

VandIT, Aug 17, 2015
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Aug 17, 2015
  3. SarahKong Win User
    Setting default applications for new users with Windows 10 Pro

You can do this in powershell scripting.

Now I have not tried this so can't say for sure but did read over it and it looks to me this will work.

So run it with your post installation scripts after imaging.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8744-export...

SarahKong, Aug 17, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello VandIT,

As long as the apps you have set as default are installed, it'll work. *Smile

Brink, Aug 17, 2015
  5. VandIT Win User
    it does not work, after reinstalling and import of MyDefaultAppAssociations.xml, I am asked what program, I want to set as the default ... *Sad

VandIT, Aug 17, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Is the app you had set as default selected to continue to use as the default app?

Just to note, this will only affect new accounts that you added after importing.

Brink, Aug 17, 2015
  7. VandIT Win User
    NO

how can I understand that? Create an account? Why it does not work with existing account?

VandIT, Aug 17, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

I'm not sure what you mean by how you can understand that?

It doesn't work with existing accounts, because this will only set the default associations for new users created afterwards. See the information box at the top of the tutorial to help.

Brink, Aug 17, 2015
  9. SunLion Win User
    Does it work if add the exported commands in autounattend.xml file, for clean install?

SunLion, Nov 13, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello SunLion, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

I've never tried it, but it won't hurt to give it a try.

If you do, please let us know how it went.

Brink, Nov 13, 2015
  11. jfreemont Win User
    I've never used it in an unattend file, but I do have it run in a script on first login, so I suspect it would work in an unattend file, too.

This is the only automated way to keep default file associations for new users after Sysprep is run. This was actually changed in Windows 8 (and kept the same in Windows 10), but since so few people deployed Windows 8, few people know about this change from Windows 7.

jfreemont, Nov 14, 2015
  12. SunLion Win User
    You can show your script that uses the first login?
    This would help me a lot.
    Thanks to you and the Brink for the answers.

SunLion, Nov 14, 2015
  13. jfreemont Win User

It's literally what is in this tutorial.

Just make a script to import your XML file associations on first login.

In my unattend file, I have it set to automatically login to the Administrator account 1 time on deployment And I have the script run automatically on first login. The script deletes itself at the end so it doesn't run on the next login.

jfreemont, Nov 14, 2015
  14. SunLion Win User
    OK, I'll do that and see if it works.
    Thanks for the help

SunLion, Nov 14, 2015
  15. WOW THIS IS A LIFE SAVER!!! Thank you so much Brink!

Daniel13djb, Feb 29, 2016
Thema:

1. Export and Import Default App Associations for New Users in Windows - Similar Threads - Export Import Default

2. Windows 11 22H2: The file association with an exported .xml file and import with GPO is not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 22H2: The file association with an exported .xml file and import with GPO is not...: HelloI have a problem with Windows 11 22H2 with import file association via GPO or Import-DefaultAppAssociations. When I use this procedure my default apps don't change...Has anyone encountered this?Thank you....
  3. Windows 11 22H2: The file association with an exported .xml file and import with GPO is not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 22H2: The file association with an exported .xml file and import with GPO is not...: HelloI have a problem with Windows 11 22H2 with import file association via GPO or Import-DefaultAppAssociations. When I use this procedure my default apps don't change...Has anyone encountered this?Thank you....
  4. Windows 10 exporting and importing users?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 exporting and importing users?: Hi,I have two PC's running Windows 10 Professional. On one of them, I have created quite a few users. I would like to create the same users on the second PC. I'd like each user to have the same password on both PC's, the same group assignments, and the same settings like...
  5. Windows 10 exporting and importing users?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 exporting and importing users?: Hi,I have two PC's running Windows 10 Professional. On one of them, I have created quite a few users. I would like to create the same users on the second PC. I'd like each user to have the same password on both PC's, the same group assignments, and the same settings like...
  6. Windows 10 exporting and importing users?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Export/Import Windows 10 user profiles

in Windows 10 Customization
    Export/Import Windows 10 user profiles: I am preparing 6 Surface pro 6s to use in my small business. I believe they all have Windows 10 home. I have 20 employees that will need access to each tablet. I need to create 20 user accounts on each tablet. Once a tablet has all the user accounts I want on it. Is there...
  8. How to Reset, Export and Import Default App Associations on Windows

in Windows 10 News
    How to Reset, Export and Import Default App Associations on Windows: [ATTACH] Windows 10 on the desktop has a plethora of applications available. Almost every kind of software is available for Windows 10. Even if you want to make a shortcut to copy and paste, you have a freeware to do it [...] This post How to Reset, Export and Import Default...
  9. Exporting & Importing to new e-mail account

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Exporting & Importing to new e-mail account: I am closing an e-mail account that I have been using for many years. I am not worried about e-mails, the ones I need, I have copied to my new e-mail account. What has me stuck is getting all my contacts into my new e-mail account. I have tried exporting and importing without...
  10. Export and Import Contacts for People app in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Export and Import Contacts for People app in Windows 10: How to: Export and Import Contacts for People app in Windows 10 How to Export and Import Contacts for People app in Windows 10 The People app included in Windows 10 puts all the ways you connect with all your friends, family, colleagues, and acquaintances in one place,...