Windows 10: Export Favorites or Copy to USB

Discus and support Export Favorites or Copy to USB in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I am transferring Favorites in Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7 computer to a Windows 10 computer. Is it better to export them to a USB Drive or... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by abredt, Feb 7, 2017.

1. abredt Win User

Export Favorites or Copy to USB

I am transferring Favorites in Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7 computer to a Windows 10 computer.

Is it better to export them to a USB Drive or use Windows Explorer and just copy them?

Thanks, cb

:)

abredt, Feb 7, 2017
  2. graye Win User

I have my Win7 Favorites bookmark on a USB drive, how do I get it into tthe Win10 IE Favorites folder ?

... and if you do not have them exported as an HTML file .... and instead you just have the copies of the contents of the Favorites folder on the USB drive, then the task is just to copy them back to the correct location in the Favorites folder on the
    C: drive.

graye, Feb 7, 2017
  3. IE favorites transfer

-

OK. You can either Export & Import or Copy favorites.

* To Export...

On the old computer... Internet Explorer > File > Import and Export > Export to a file > Favorites > select the Favorites folder > Next > note where that bookmark.htm file is being saved. Copy that file to the new computer.

On the new computer... same except you will Import from file... etc.

* To Copy...

Old computer... Favorites folder at ["C:\Users\account name\Favorites"]

Copy that folder to the new computer. Open the Favorites folder on the new computer and copy Favorites from old to new.

It might be tempting to simply copy the entire Favorites folder (replace the new Favorites folder with the old Favorites folder) but that can lead to permissions problems. It's safer to select a bunch of Favorites and copy those.

Don

Don Varnau, Feb 7, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello abredt, *Smile

I find it easier to just copy your %UserProfile%\Favorites folder as a backup of your IE Favorites.

Brink, Feb 7, 2017
  5. abredt Win User
    I'm not familiar with the %UserProfile%\Favorites notation.
    Does that mean go to my username in Windows Explorer, then Favorites?
    Thanks, cb

abredt, Feb 7, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Correct.

%UserProfile% is an environmental variable that is the same as the "C:\Users\<user-name>" folder of the current user.

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Export Favorites or Copy to USB - Similar Threads - Export Favorites Copy

2. Any way to export favorites BAR and sticky notes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Any way to export favorites BAR and sticky notes: I have an IT Technician reaching out to me asking if there’s a way to export the favorites BAR not just the favorites folder because I guess that didn’t export the contents o the bar itself and the sticky notes on the computer. They’re currently utilizing USMT and the...
  3. Import/Export Edge favorites as HTML

in Browsers and Email
    Import/Export Edge favorites as HTML: I go to settings and more go down and select settings but do not get the GENERAL selections that is shown in step three. Where am I going wrong? I am running Version 20H2 build 19042.685 latest update of Edge shipinomore 170150
  4. Exporting Edge favorites

in Windows 10 Customization
    Exporting Edge favorites: Good evening, I have purchased a new PC. Is there anyway I can export my favourite sites from Edge on my old PC and import them into Edge on my new one? Thanks Mike...
  5. How to copy my Favorites

in Browsers and Email
    How to copy my Favorites: How to copy my Favorites from Microsoft Edge? I transported my favorites from Internet Exporter to Favorites in Microsoft Edge so I want to copy them so I can put them into me other computer. 142013
  6. How to copy my Favorites

in Windows 10 Support
    How to copy my Favorites: How to copy my Favorites from Microsoft Edge? I transported my favorites from Internet Exporter to Favorites in Microsoft Edge so I want to copy them so I can put them into me other computer. 142013
  7. copying favorites

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copying favorites: how do I copy the files that are in my favorites to add to another computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copying-favorites/6ea8bae6-cf57-4ee3-b37c-0c17d8b494e5"
  8. How to export favorites from Edge browser

in Browsers and Email
    How to export favorites from Edge browser: After the "November update" to Windows 10, the Edge browser no longer uses a folder structure to store favorites. Instead, it now uses an Extensible Storage Engine (ESE) database. So, that means you can no longer just do a copy-n-paste in an attempt to export your favorites....
  9. no export favorites button in EDGE. How do I export my favorites?

in Browsers and Email
    no export favorites button in EDGE. How do I export my favorites?: no export favorites button in EDGE. How do I export my favorites including the favorites line in the top? 66205
  10. Import/Export Edge Favorites

in Browsers and Email
    Import/Export Edge Favorites: Microsoft Edge Favorites - Export in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums Though Edge may not be the browser of choice, would like to hear reviews/comments of the above method of export/import of favorites from those that have used the method. This method was designed...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. export web browser favorites to usb drive

2. %UserProfile%\Favorites notation

3. how to copy favorites to usb

4. Internet Explorer>File>Import and Export,
  5. export favourites to usb