Windows 10: Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10

Discus and support Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 How to Export Hyper-V Virtual Machines in Windows 10 Hyper-V enables running virtualized... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Cliff S New Member

Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10

How to: Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10

How to Export Hyper-V Virtual Machines in Windows 10

Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and managed just as if they were physical computer systems, however they exist in a virtualized and isolated environment.

You can use Hyper-V's export and import functionality to quickly duplicate virtual machines. Exported virtual machines can be used for backup or as a way to move a virtual machine between Hyper-V hosts.

Import allows you to restore virtual machines. You don't need to export a virtual machine to be able to import it.

When creating an export of a virtual machine, all associated files are bundled in the export. This includes configuration files, hard drive files, and any existing checkpoint files.

This tutorial will show you how to export a single or all Hyper-V virtual machines (guests) on your Windows 10 PC (host).

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to export a Hyper-V virtual machine.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine(s) using Hyper-V Manager
    • Option Two: To Export All Hyper-V Virtual Machines using PowerShell
    • Option Three: To Export a Single Hyper-V Virtual Machine using PowerShell

Video by: Kari in TF Video thread

OPTION ONE [/i] To Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine(s) using Hyper-V Manager
    1. Open Hyper-V Manager.

2. Select the Hyper-V host (ex: "BRINK-DESKTOP") in the left pane you want to export a virtual machine from, select one or more virtual machine(s) in the middle pane to export, and click/tap on Export in the right Actions pane. (see screenshot below)

*note You can press and hold the Ctrl key and click/tap on any virtual machine(s) to select them to export, then release the Ctrl key when finished selecting.

Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Click/tap on Browse, navigate to and select the folder (ex: "My Virtual Machines") that you want to export to, click/tap Select Folder, and click/tap on Export. (see screenshots below)

4. The virtual machine(s) will now be exported. It may take a while to finish. (see screenshots below)

5. When finished, you can close Hyper-V Manager if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Export All Hyper-V Virtual Machines using PowerShell
    *note For more details about the Export-VM command used in this option, see: Export-VM
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Copy and paste the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter.
    *Arrow Get-VM | Export-VM –Path 'Full path of folder to export to'

*note Substitute Full path of folder to export to in the command above with the actual full path of the folder location you want to export the virtual machines' files to.
    3. When finished, you can close PowerShell if you like.

Note This may take a while to finish exporting the virtual machine(s) to the specified folder location.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Export a Single Hyper-V Virtual Machine using PowerShell
    *note For more details about the Export-VM command used in this option, see: Export-VM
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Type the command below into the elevated PowerShell, press Enter, and make note of the name (ex: "w10 build 14379") of the virtual machine you want to export. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow get-vm

3. Type the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Export-VM -Name 'Name of virtual machine' –Path 'Full path of folder to export to'

Note Substitute Name of virtual machine in the command above with the name of the virtual machine from step 2 above.

Substitute Full path of folder to export to in the command above with the actual full path of the folder you want to export the virtual machine to.

For example: Export-VM -Name 'w10 build 14379' –Path 'D:\My Virtual Machines'

4. The virtual machine will now be exported. It may take a while to finish. (see screenshots below)

5. When finished, you can close PowerShell if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cliff S, Jul 22, 2016
  2. zeb2100 Win User

Import a virtual machine from server 2008 R2

I was wondering if it is possible to exporting a virtual machine that is being hosted on a Server 2008 R2 host, and importing it to a Windows 10 machine that is running Hyper-v?

zeb2100, Jul 22, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Jul 22, 2016
  4. Cliff S New Member

@Brink & @Kari,
    I just saw this new post: Windos just Trashed 1TB data External HDD - Windows 10 Forums and I am sooooo glad that after the tutorial and the video, plus Kari explain to me, how important a back up to an external disk is, and not just using Export to move the folders to another or new disk is.
    Thanks again you Over Geeks*Thumbs

Information ***(this was also posted with the link, to show others, why this is so important)***
    Don't delay VM geeks, do it today, if you don't have a backup, or else, you could end up like this poor member

Cliff S, Jul 30, 2016
  5. GalaxyGe Win User
    Thanks guys,
    I managed to export my vm using option [3]. For some reason option [1] does not work for me. When I try to export using Hyper-V Manager, I can browse to the target folder on my local drive and click export. Then the mmc.exe including the Export thread goes to (Not Responding) and I can only kill the the whole mmc process.
    I have recorded a dump file if anybody would be willing to have a look.

GalaxyGe, Oct 6, 2017
  6. Cliff S New Member
    You really might want to think about exporting, to either a 2nd internal, or much better; an external USB for backing up.

Cliff S, Oct 6, 2017
  7. GalaxyGe Win User
    No worries Cliff, I did export to local but then copied it to my NAS backup for safety. But as you say it's so critical I will do another copy to my out-of-house second USB treasury chest...
    I will have to read the article above.. is there absolutely no way to get ones Windows activation back if that UUID is lost? What if I just take a note of the UUID on a piece of paper... could one not call MS and get the key unlocked?

GalaxyGe, Oct 6, 2017
  8. Cliff S New Member

@Kari, @Superfly, or @Brink can answer those questions netter than me.
    But that taking note of your UUID/GUID, doesn't work like that,
    It's a 128 bit number generated by Windows to identify your "hardware" be it bare metal or virtual. You can't just enter it somewhere, and call it a day.

As for calling Microsoft, about the key if you lose your VM, the above three members, I mentioned above, can clarify that.
    But it would just be easier to have a backup, and if you wish to get rid of the VM and start over, deactivate the key using Code: slmgr /upk [/quote] then deleting the machine, and re-creating one(this also works if you buy a new PC and prefer to use the retail key on the new one, and let the old PC revert to the OEM version).

Cliff S, Oct 6, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    then deleting the machine, and re-creating one(this also works if you buy a new PC and prefer to use the retail key on the new one, and let the old PC revert to the OEM version).[/quote] That does not work for digital licences.

cereberus, Oct 6, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    Actually, the export tool does not do anything more sophisticated than copying the vhds and the vm file (.vmcx files). You can manually back the up using file explorer.

cereberus, Oct 6, 2017
  11. Cliff S New Member
    To get the digital license, he needs a retail key first, for a VM doesn't he?
    Serious question, as that#s the only way I have done it.
    The digital license, can be reactivated with another key, if one still has the machine.
    I did that swapping a Pro for a Pro N before, and then using the Pro on another machine.

Cliff S, Oct 6, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    In general yes, but there are cases where you have a digital licence e.g. an install activated with a 7/8 oem key. bought 10 direct from MS Store, or you activated by transferring digital licence from another VM etc.

If key is retail standalone, you can use telephone activation if necessary to transfer a licence - I personally avoid the slmgr /upk method, as in past it seems to get tangled now and then i.e. new pc thinks it is still on old pc, but when you try telephone activation, it fails for some reason. Anyway, Windows normally lets you reactivate a standalone key up to five times anyway without objecting.

cereberus, Oct 6, 2017
  13. Cliff S New Member

*Shock*Eek
    Thanks for the information Martin*Smile
    Good I only did it that once(and it's the only time I wanted/"needed" to do it).

Cliff S, Oct 6, 2017
  14. GalaxyGe Win User
    What I was planning to do is try to activate my new vm of Win 10 16299.15 RTM with one of some never used before Windows 7 OEM keys. So, if this works at all, I will not be able to go over activation by phone. Good reason to keep a good backup of the vm them.
    Will I also need another key for establishing another Windows Insider testing vm? That would be insane, of Microsoft to bill beta testers of it's software!?

GalaxyGe, Oct 6, 2017
  15. Cliff S New Member
    Officially you need a key or digital license for each instance of Windows 10, any other answer is a very dark gray zone.

To read the license terms: Find Microsoft End User License Agreement (EULA) in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

Cliff S, Oct 6, 2017
Thema:

1. Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Export Hyper Virtual

2. How to import, export, or clone Virtual Machines in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 News
    How to import, export, or clone Virtual Machines in Hyper-V: [IMG]This article helps you import, export, or clone virtual machines in Hyper-V on Windows 11/10. At times, you might want to move your virtual machine to another computer and start using it immediately. In such moments, you could use this guide to import, export, and close...
  3. Issues with Hyper-V Virtual Machines

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issues with Hyper-V Virtual Machines: Hi all, I'm running Ubuntu 19.04 in a Hyper-V Virtual Machine. It's configured to use Hyper-V's "Default Switch" network adapter, but for some reason, the VM doesn't seem to get internet access. My computer is connected to the Internet (both through Wi-Fi and Ethernet). I've...
  4. Hyper V- Virtual Machine Error

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper V- Virtual Machine Error: While starting the Vistual Machine i am facing the below error shown in Event Viewer. Plz Help me out to resolve this problem. License Activation (slui.exe) failed with the following error code: hr=0x8007232B Command-line arguments:...
  5. Hyper V not connecting to virtual machine

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hyper V not connecting to virtual machine: Suddenly, Hyper V would not connect to any Virtual Machine using the Virtual Machine Connection. I trying creating new VMs and nothing worked. I am using Windows 10 Education....
  6. Hyper-V - Optimizing Virtual Machines

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V - Optimizing Virtual Machines: How to: Hyper-V - Optimizing Virtual Machines Running Windows on a virtual machine can naturally never be as fast as same version of Windows on same computer running on physical hardware. However, by tweaking virtual machine settings, you can greatly impact the speed and...
  7. Hyper-V Nested Virtualization: Run virtual machines on virtual machine

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V Nested Virtualization: Run virtual machines on virtual machine: How to: Hyper-V Nested Virtualization: Run virtual machines on virtual machine [img] Information Nested Virtualization means that user can enable Hyper-V on existing virtual machines, and run virtual machines and Windows Sandbox on them. To make Nested Virtualization...
  8. Backing up Hyper-V Virtual Machines

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Backing up Hyper-V Virtual Machines: Hi, I was wondering if all I really need to do to backup activated virtual machines but not associated virtual hard drives is just to copy the virtual hard drive folder to another drive (or even one drive) . All I am really interested is in saving the machines which have...
  9. Import Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Import Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10: How to: Import Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 How to Import Hyper-V Virtual Machines Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and managed just as if they were physical...
  10. Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows: How to: Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows How to Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 8 and 10 [img] Note There's nothing wrong in running the Hyper-V Manager and launch your virtual machines from there. However, creating a...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 hyper-v vm export problems

2. when importing a VM into Hyper V does the windows license stay activated

3. export windows 10 for virtual machine

4. hyper v windows 10 export