Windows 10: Exporting registry with regedit "hangs"

Discus and support Exporting registry with regedit "hangs" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have recently noticed that exporting my registry "hangs" forever. I did a little investigation and found that there appears to be a looping entry... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by deepprpl, Aug 12, 2017.

1. deepprpl Win User

Exporting registry with regedit "hangs"

I have recently noticed that exporting my registry "hangs" forever. I did a little investigation and found that there appears to be a looping entry into the exported registry keys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{14654CA6-5711-491D-B89A-58E571679951}\KlifTmp02918B99\KlifTmp194DED95\KlifTmp1ECF62D3\KlifTmp792EFA24\KlifTmp2E0756F6\KlifTm p7E0D8DE7\KlifTmp3B927D69\KlifTmp70F1FB9A]@="Microsoft TBAuth Single-Sign On Protocol"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{14654CA6-5711-491D-B89A-58E571679951}\KlifTmp02918B99\KlifTmp194DED95\KlifTmp1ECF62D3\KlifTmp792EFA24\KlifTmp2E0756F6\KlifTm p7E0D8DE7\KlifTmp3B927D69\KlifTmp70F1FB9A\InProcServer32]@="C:\\Windows\\System32\\tbauth.dll""ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

This repeats over and over.

Running Windows 10 Pro

:)

deepprpl, Aug 12, 2017
  2. DougZee Win User

Windows 10 Pro... regedit doesnt complete...hangs about 80-90% thru registry...

just went to windows 10 pro about a week ago....had to clean out the registry for some hardware that win10 doesn't support...ran regedit... do a find on device name and regedit starts scanning..found of couple of instances and removed them...did another
    " find next" and regedit hangs..waited 20 mins and never completes.. the scroll bar on the right side window shows it about 80-90% thru the registry.. after 20 I click to close the window and it responds that registry editor isn't currently running and restarts
    it...

DougZee, Aug 12, 2017
  3. Windows 10 creates registry key names in excess of 256 characters for many flash drives and breaks regedit search functions

I've found that Windows 10 Regedit "Find" function would always fail before reaching the end of the registry if the search object was not found or when the search got to certain points in the registry. The Find function would hang without terminating.
    Sometimes Regedit would lockup, crash or restart. I traced the search failures to long file names in excess of 256 characters for flash drives. A few flash drives had registry keys shorter than 256 characters, but most had names as long as 267 or 268 characters.
    These keys were found in my registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses\{7f108a28-9833-4b3b-b780-2c6b5fa5c062}. The keys could not be renamed because they were too long and renaming failed. The keys would either fail
    to open or have iterations of subkeys named "#" below them when they should only have one # subkey. Regedit would hang, crash or restart when the search came across one of these long key names. At this time, I don't have a work around.

RichardSchaefer_895, Aug 12, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Have you tried using Hiren's Boot Disc or the Reg.exe Command tool?

bro67, Aug 13, 2017
  5. deepprpl Win User
    Good morning bro67. I did try the reg.exe command. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hangs in that utility also. I will check out Hiren's boot disc.

I have been reading that the most recent Windows 10 update broke the "find" and "export" regedit commands due to limiting registry keys to 255 bytes. I'm hoping a fix from Microsoft will come soon

deepprpl, Aug 13, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, which is your Windows build?
    (Windows key + R, winver).
    This used to be a problem in 1511 I think - that's very old.

Note 'latest update' means quite different things to different people, given the different builds they are on and that updates are not delivered everywhere simultaneously.

See the News section where there is a thread per update. You can check for experience with your particular update there.

Otherwise:

Try a different registry editor e.g.
    O&O RegEditor
    (freeware)

Exporting registry with regedit "hangs" [​IMG]

dalchina, Aug 13, 2017
  7. deepprpl Win User
    Hello dalcina,

My Windows 10 Pro version is 1703 (OS Build 15063.540).

I did try the OOReg Editor. It hangs in the same way (i.e. keeps re-writing the same pair of registry keys into the export file - over and over).

I am trying to determine if I have a Windows-related issue or if a virus or rogue program wrote things in the registry causing this.

Thanks

deepprpl, Aug 13, 2017
  8. f14tomcat Win User

Try some clean-up first. Then re-boot and see if it still hangs on you. Copy and paste the following code into an Admin Command prompt. It will run about 20 minutes or so. Re-boot when it finishes, the try your export.

fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\&fsutil usn deletejournal /d /n c:&Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup&sfc /scannow&Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth&sfc /scannow&Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase&pause

f14tomcat, Aug 13, 2017
  9. deepprpl Win User
    f14tomcat, I tried as you prescribed. No Joy. But on the bright side, I did learn a lot about some advanced Windows commands Exporting registry with regedit "hangs" :)

deepprpl, Aug 17, 2017
  10. f14tomcat Win User
    Did you ever run a chkdsk (check for disk errors) to see if maybe there is a funky block or sector that you're hitting, causing Windows to loop? Just to rule it out. At admin command, run this. It will ask to reboot and will run for a while, so go do something else. It's a deep boot-time check-disk with repairs if needed.

chkdsk C: /f /r /x

Exporting registry with regedit "hangs" [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Exporting registry with regedit "hangs" - Similar Threads - Exporting registry regedit

2. Cannot import registry key into regedit

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot import registry key into regedit: When i try to import .reg file into regedit it says that file is not .reg file,any solutions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-import-registry-key-into-regedit/2607614e-56de-4287-9b37-58f70d495277
  3. Trouble removing registries in regedit

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Trouble removing registries in regedit: Hi For over a year now I've noticed that my chrome is being "managed". I have no idea what this is and noticed about 8 months ago that an extension I used before has been sold and some redirect virus plugged into it. Once I found out 1-2 days I immediately deleted it and...
  4. Exporting Registry

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Exporting Registry: When I export HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT with regedit it works, but whenI try to do it from a batch script with "reg export HKCR E:\RegistryBackup\Current\HKCR.reg /y" it fails. Why? Exporting the rest of the registry from the batch script works perfectly fine, just HKCR fails. Why?...
  5. Is the registry (regedit) "live?"

in Windows 10 Support
    Is the registry (regedit) "live?": Say I have regedit open and I make some changes on my system that affect the registry. Does regedit know about those changes, or do I have to stop and restart regedit? 167611
  6. Registry key information export

Registry key information export: Hi, I'm looking to grab information from users' registry (one key in particular which states the VPN their using). I would then like to have this information exported so that they all are on one report with just the user name and that key information. What is the best way...
  7. Registry settings in Regedit

Registry settings in Regedit: I am unable to get copyprofile to work on the Creator's version of Windows 10. I have been using registry settings to get it the way I want it. This is probably a silly request but I want to find it. Typically in my custom default profile, I open regedit to a full window...
  8. Regedit crashes during registry searches

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Regedit crashes during registry searches: When I run a regedit search I am guaranteed that regedit will get stuck every single time while displaying the "Searching the registry" message box. When I eventually click the cancel button, I get the message that regedit has stopped working. I can repeat ad-nauseum, even...
  9. Regedit freezes on export

in Windows 10 Support
    Regedit freezes on export: In Windows 10 regedit freezes when trying to export a registry key. To fix this, open the print dialog (ctrl+p) first, then close it and you can export registry keys. No idea why this is the case but it works. Original post: Whenever I try to export a registry key from...
  10. Regedit Not Responding during Export of All records

in Windows 10 Support
    Regedit Not Responding during Export of All records: I have a Toshiba 64 bit laptop running Windows 10 Home Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.413). I wanted to see if I could figure out how to disable Cortana (it's a memory hog and I NEVER use it) and wanted to look through the Registry file. As I always do when opening the...