Windows 10: Ext. HDs: “spool-up, shut-down, spool-up, shut-down.”

Discus and support Ext. HDs: “spool-up, shut-down, spool-up, shut-down.” in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I’ve just updated from Windows Vista to Windows 10 and my external hard drives are shutting down less than a minute after the last access. It’s now,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mhansen2, Feb 2, 2017.

1. mhansen2 Win User

Ext. HDs: “spool-up, shut-down, spool-up, shut-down.”

I’ve just updated from Windows Vista to Windows 10 and my external hard drives are shutting down less than a minute after the last access. It’s now, “spool-up, shut-down, spool-up, shut-down.” How can I tell Windows to allow them to spin for longer periods of time like it was in Vista?

Will the short run time affect the disks’ reliability?

Thanks.

:)

mhansen2, Feb 2, 2017

2. Laptop blackscreens and fan spools up, it shuts down, and does it repeatedly.

Hi David,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are facing. I will definitely assist you.

There can be many reasons for starting to a black screen. I would suggest you to go to the below link and try the steps provided by Sharath Srinivasa and check if this helps.

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

Hope this helps. Post us with status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Feb 2, 2017
  3. Cannot print in Windows 10

My issue was resolved by deleting some left over from C:\Windows\System32\spool\... after the upgrade to Windows 10. You need to shut down the spooler service first before doing this.

Geoff Niehaus - MCPD Enterprise, Feb 2, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Feb 2, 2017
  5. mhansen2 Win User
    Hi Brink, thanks for the welcome.

I did the power changes in the tutorial, but they don't affect my external drives. Is that tutorial only for the internal drive?

Mike

mhansen2, Feb 2, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It'll affect all internal and external HDDs, but not SSDs.

Did you install any software (ex: backup or manage) for the external drive? If so, it may have a setting for this that's overriding Windows.

In addition, check to see if you may have Intel Power Management software installed. It can also override what you have set in Windows.

Brink, Feb 2, 2017
  7. mhansen2 Win User
    I haven't installed any software like you suggested. I'm using the external HDDs exactly as they were on the Vista system.

mhansen2, Feb 3, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

As a test, if you turn off this setting in the power options for your power plan, do they still turn off?

Depending on that external case you have these HDDs in, it could have a setting of its own for when to turn off when idle. What brand and model number are the external HDDs? I'll be happy to see if I may be able to find out more information on them.

Brink, Feb 3, 2017
  9. mhansen2 Win User
    I went into the "Change Advanced Power Settings" and changed "turn off HD after" to NEVER for both plugged in and battery. After fifteen minutes, the external HDs are still running. In fact, they've been active ever since.

I have three of the Western Digital "My Book" HDs and one of the WD "My Passport Ultra."

Thanks again for your help.

mhansen2, Feb 3, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That sounds promising so far.

Next, you can try setting the time to what you want to see if that may toggle them to turn off after being idle when you want.

If not, then you could also download and install "WD Drive Utilities for Windows" from Western Digital at the link below to set them to turn off when you like.

*Arrow My Book | WD Support

From their settings page to help. *Smile

Brink, Feb 3, 2017
  11. mhansen2 Win User
    Resetting "Turn off HD after" setting seems to be working. I downloaded the WD utilities as you suggested, but the dialog box covers only one HD with no option to select another. I have three connected.

It's never easy, is it? *Smile

mhansen2, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Ext. HDs: “spool-up, shut-down, spool-up, shut-down.” - Similar Threads - Ext HDs “spool

2. Random shut down, suddenly shut down, shut down unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random shut down, suddenly shut down, shut down unexpectedly: My laptop is Lenovo 120s 14iap. Recently it keeps randomly shutting down. I checked event viewer and it shows some error event id 41 63, 6008. I did reinstall windows, updated the driver from windows update, and tried some fix from internet. Here i've managed system event log...
  3. Random shut down, suddenly shut down, shut down unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random shut down, suddenly shut down, shut down unexpectedly: My laptop is Lenovo 120s 14iap. Recently it keeps randomly shutting down. I checked event viewer and it shows some error event id 41 63, 6008. I did reinstall windows, updated the driver from windows update, and tried some fix from internet. Here i've managed system event log...
  4. Random shut down, suddenly shut down, shut down unexpectedly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. SPOOLING

SPOOLING: OFTEN TIMES WHEN I TRY TO OPEN A TAB. IT JUST SPOOLS. HOW CAN I FIX THIS. ALSO WHEN I TRIED TO GO INTO EXPLORER TO LOOK FOR A FIX I GOT THIS ERROR MESSAGE Request Id: cd15cadc-b5df-4ba5-a8e1-12bbda5c0b00 Correlation Id: 5074319e-82ee-4045-bd88-a18d585aebb7 Timestamp:...
  6. Excel comes up then shuts down

Excel comes up then shuts down: Excel loads and shuts down so fast I can not read the error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excel-comes-up-then-shuts-down/24c9ee04-407f-47bb-8a75-13abcd5f13be
  7. Labtop starting up then shutting down

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Labtop starting up then shutting down: Every time I try to turn on my computer it starts up but when I try to install Windows 10 on it it keeps its at 64% and then it shuts down and then it goes over the same process what should I do about this...
  8. lock-up at shut-down

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    lock-up at shut-down: My computer in Windows 10 locks up at shut-down and I have to manually turn it off. How do I regain normal shut-down? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lock-up-at-shut-down/ce811795-053c-4254-ba88-ba9adbb60ec3
  9. Printer spools down and spools back up before printing a second page in Quickbooks POS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer spools down and spools back up before printing a second page in Quickbooks POS: So we had to get a new computer at work and being a small company I am pretty much tech support. We use Quickbooks POS as our POS system and all the sudden our printer prints one page, spools down, spools up, and then prints the double. Facts: The computer is windows 10...
  10. Window shut down pop up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Window shut down pop up: [ATTACH]Everytime when I play a game this pops up. Is this an update thing or is it a virus? If it is virus please help. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/window-shut-down-pop-up/47de3079-9422-4471-8ae9-6240e1d50db5