Windows 10: Ext, USB Drive Ltr Assignments change Int. Drive Ltr Assignments

Discus and support Ext, USB Drive Ltr Assignments change Int. Drive Ltr Assignments in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, is it just me or does anyone else find it extremely annoying that drive letter assignments can't be locked in disk management? I have 4 ext.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by PreyMantas, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Ext, USB Drive Ltr Assignments change Int. Drive Ltr Assignments

Hello, is it just me or does anyone else find it extremely annoying that drive letter assignments can't be locked in disk management?

I have 4 ext. usb 3.0 drives in dual docks that are part of my backup box setup. Occasionally during boot up it appears that one or more drives get connected at different times and Winders just helps itself to reassigning letters, sometimes injecting them before internal "hanging off the bus" drives. This really screws up the works since I have a number of things pointing to these specific drives for various reason and they expect them to be there or things get ugly.

Is there any way to nail down drive assignments no matter what order they connect in so S: drive is always the same Disk x?

TIA

:)

PreyMantas, Jun 13, 2017
  2. Don Camp Win User

USB drive letter assignments

Long-winded background:

I have a USB flash drive that I assigned to drive D: in Disk Management. Occasionally when I'm not thinking, I plug it in when another external drive is connected and already assigned D: by Windows. The flash drive then gets reassigned as E:. I know I
    can switch it back to D: in Disk Management, but frankly my original reason for assigning a fixed letter is not such a big deal anymore. Is there a way to "undo" fixed letter assignments? I'd like to just let the drive float again.

TL;DR:

Once you assign a fixed drive letter in Disk Management, is there a way to "undo" and let the drive assignment float again?

Don Camp, Jun 13, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    USB drive letter assignments

Hi Oon, this can be done in the Windows Registry . . .

Plug in that device and unplug all other USB drives . . .

Click your Start Button, type regedit and hit Enter to open the Registry Editor

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

On the right, scroll down to the bottom

Right click the appropriate Key and choose Delete

Close the Registry Editor and unplug the USB drive

That's It

DaveM121, Jun 13, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Ext, USB Drive Ltr Assignments change Int. Drive Ltr Assignments

As far as I know if you assign the USB hard drives letters far outside the normal range of drive letters they will always get those letters when connected. For example, start at Z: for the external drives and work your way backwards.

NavyLCDR, Jun 13, 2017
  5. Hi, Yeah, that's what I normally do. From Z backwards I start with the ROM's (including a few virtuals) put them at the end and then the reader drives since they always are well behaved and stay put.

Sticks, docks and the like are the problem children. I've tried powering them all up prior to bootup to see if they would repeat assignments after the physical drives and for the most part they behave, but occasionally they stray and these are storage drives with references pointing to them.

I'll try loading them from the backend forward and see if there is difference while still having them powered up prior to booting. It really doesn't matter what they are labled as long as they repeat consistently. Thanks for the insight.

I'm surprised, not really, that MS hasn't considered this and added support for hardwiring assignment configurations functionality in USB storage considering it's in big use right now more so than in the past. We can only put so many drives in a box or NAS and RAIDing drives is either a waste of space or a spanned dataset catastrophe waiting to happen from where I sit.

I'll stop back in after I try it and let you know how it went. Thanks!

PreyMantas, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Ext, USB Drive Ltr Assignments change Int. Drive Ltr Assignments

1. Ext, USB Drive Ltr Assignments change Int. Drive Ltr Assignments - Similar Threads - Ext USB Drive

2. External USB drive letter assignment problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External USB drive letter assignment problem: Hi All,I'm faced with a little conundrum concerning what I feel the 'willy-nilly' assignment of a drive letter to external SSD backup disks.Looking for your insights and hopefully solutions.When I attach disk-1 to my brand new Dell laptop running Windows 10 updates up to date...
  3. Assigning Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Assigning Drive Letter: I am trying to assign a particular letter to one of my hard drives. None of my other drives are assigned that letter, but it is not listed in the choices. Is there something I can do?...
  4. stop win assigning usb drive letter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    stop win assigning usb drive letter: How do I stop windows from assigning drive letters to unused USB ports? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stop-win-assigning-usb-drive-letter/442d12f1-8165-4317-88ec-301d7d12c2fb
  5. assign boot drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    assign boot drive: I have installed Samsung SSD and successfully cloned. I managed to bring the SSD online, but cannot delete or change drive name of C: drive. I removed SATA data cable on HDD, the SSD booted fine. But if connected both, HDD are always booted and become drive C:, SSD become E:...
  6. Assign a drive letter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Assign a drive letter: When I plug an external hard drive to my PC (Windows 10) via the USB, the computer does not recognize it in Windows Explorer. I have to go into Disk Management to assign the drive a letter before I can see it in Windows Explorer. Is there an option in Windows 10 to...
  7. Change drive letters assigned

Change drive letters assigned: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  8. Change assigned drive letters

in Windows 10 Support
    Change assigned drive letters: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  9. Permanently assign drive letters for USB drives

Permanently assign drive letters for USB drives: Hi, I run a backup script to different USB drives at different times. The backup script always needs to see the same drive letter for the USB drive (whichever USB drive is being used). I know you can run compmgmt.msc, select Disk Management and then click 'Change...
  10. USB Drive Letter Assignment not persistent

USB Drive Letter Assignment not persistent: I have a removable USB HDD that I use for second-level backups. I plug it in to my system only for this purpose. Almost every time I plug it in, I have to use Administrative Tools to re-assign a drive letter. Is there anything else I should be doing so that Windows keeps that...