Windows 10: Extensions and Default Programs, Few Little Problems With Install

Discus and support Extensions and Default Programs, Few Little Problems With Install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, just upgraded to Windows 10 from 7, and On the surface the install has gone fine other than some manufacturer proprietary software which I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by QuillBall, Jun 13, 2016.

1. QuillBall Win User

Extensions and Default Programs, Few Little Problems With Install

Hi all, just upgraded to Windows 10 from 7, and On the surface the install has gone fine other than some manufacturer proprietary software which I have now solved. However, I went to open a zip file and found there was no built in way to do it. Right click menu had no options for extracting. When I opened it, it just seemed to make a copy. There was no real icon for the zip file. Also, I noticed that when I tried to burn the Windows 10 iso file to a dvd, the direction on the net didn't match. I had no Mount from the context menu, nor do I have a Manage tab when I click on an .iso file. It's like the defaults weren't set up right. I'm concerned I will find other issues.

I upgraded from a fresh install of Windows 7.

I did go to Settings -> choose default apps by file type.

.zip files is not in the extensions list at all. I did download 7-zip to solve my problem, but it's still not in the list in settings even after a reboot.
    .iso is, with another program chosen left over from my Win 7 install. I understand how to change it, I just assumed Windows would still give me the option in at least File Explorer.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

:)

QuillBall, Jun 13, 2016
  2. b283s Win User

THreshold 2 changes Office default program for .doc file extension -make it look like you have a product code problem

Threshold 2 changed the default program for .doc or forgot to update the file extension for the new Office Word ICON. When you try to open the .doc file extension you get an invalid product code and when you chose activate it tells you that you need to
    uninstall the 64 bit program and install the 32 bit program. Since I had a similar problem on Acrobat reader program that Threshold changed the default program. I went to the settings for program default for extension and found that .doc had the wrong program
    default. Please stop resetting to Microsoft defaults it is my computer.

b283s, Jun 13, 2016
  3. Chriso747 Win User
    Windows 10 not saving applications default setting

What could also be happening (but may not be in your case, just from my experience) is: when you set all the defaults in one program (e.g. Adobe Acrobat), sometimes when you set all the defaults in another program that also uses some of those file extensions
    in Adobe (e.g. Edge), then one negates the other.

Do you find that when you try opening a .pdf file, Edge or other programs tries to open it instead of Adobe?

If so, then always go to the program (Adobe) that you want dedicated to that file extension(s) and set all of its defaults. Then go to Edge and others and make sure that the Adobe extensions are not ticked in those other programs. It will be a laborious
    task, but this could be a possible solution. The same applies to VLC Media Player and Windows Media Player: I use WMP, so it has more of its defaults ticked than VLC or any other program.

You can also do this via Associate a File type, but the extensions list is long and probably useful if you only open a few extensions within a program. Also, make sure your MS updates are current as the other poster's solution to this problem was found
    there.

Chriso747, Jun 13, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

davidhk, Jun 13, 2016
  5. Slartybart, Jun 13, 2016
  6. QuillBall Win User
    Hi all, sorry I haven't been here. I had a major networking catastrophe, and worked on that for four days, ten hours a day. I am now able to revist this, and I was typing a response and then accidentally erased everything I had typed. Arghh! I'm tired, lol. I will post back tomorrow after my brain rests. Thank you for your input so far I appreciate the offer of help. Be back soon.

QuillBall, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Extensions and Default Programs, Few Little Problems With Install - Similar Threads - Extensions Default Programs

2. A little problem.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A little problem.: Hello! I am a little kid who wants to get into streaming, but my mic is too quiet. Every time i go into the recording tab in the sound control panel, it freezes and i have to force quit it, i have seen some people have the same problem and found a video on youtube on how to...
  3. How to choose a default program based on file extension

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to choose a default program based on file extension: I downloaded some fonts to use in WORD. I installed a Font Manager called FontBase. The fonts have extensions of .json and .yml. I go to settings>default apps>choose default apps by file type. [ATTACH] I click Open with and I see [ATTACH] That leads me to...
  4. Programs using little/no network.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Programs using little/no network.: For a couple of weeks now, my computer has been having issues with the network where programs will use very little network at all, despite the fact I am running a 100 MB/s Ethernet connection. Programs such as Chrome, Steam, and Discord will take a long time to initially boot...
  5. extension default change

in Windows 10 Customization
    extension default change: Would like to know how to change default programs for extensions eg. txt, rtf. NOT the easy way that doesn't work - settings only offers certain choices and I want something NOT listed - in this case I want Wordpad....
  6. Cannot change default program for some extensions

Cannot change default program for some extensions: I cannot change the default "Open with..." program for some file extensions such as .mpeg or .mp4. The "Open with..." dialog appears but there is no "Always use this app for .mp4 files" checkbox. I can change the associations from the "Choose default apps by file type"...
  7. I can't install a program with extension .msi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't install a program with extension .msi: Greetings all, I couldn't really find a perfect forum to put this in, sorry if I missed one. I d/l a program today from sourceforge.net - here's the file name. FFbatch_setup_1.6.6_x64.msi I don't see very many programs with .msi extension, but I've had them before and...
  8. Default App extensions

Default App extensions: my ex_ extension got switch to Adobe Acrobat, & I would like to switch it back to its original "Open With", but at this point do not know what the original "Open With" was. This is in Windows 10 & keeps referring to look for an App in the store.......
  9. Windows 10 Unable to save default programs for file extensions

Windows 10 Unable to save default programs for file extensions: I am trying to set Notepad++ as default program for .md files. (just an example, other filetypes also do not work) I tried to set the default program via the 'file properties dialog', the 'right click->open with dialog' and simply by double clicking the file (default app...
  10. Problem With a few programs.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem With a few programs.: OS : Windows 10 Home 64bit The problem is when I try to open some programs. For example : CIGPatcher/StarCitizenLauncher, Origin, MalwareBytes and a few others I can not remember off the top of my head, They will 'open' with no window. But Task manager says they are 'open'...