Windows 10: External 3.5" Buffalo USB 3.0 drive only connects at USB 2.0 mode

Discus and support External 3.5" Buffalo USB 3.0 drive only connects at USB 2.0 mode in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a desktop PC that does not come with any USB 3 ports on its mainboard. Yesterday I bought a PCI-E to USB 3.0 expansion card with two ports. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by eddman, Aug 14, 2017.

1. eddman Win User

External 3.5" Buffalo USB 3.0 drive only connects at USB 2.0 mode

I have a desktop PC that does not come with any USB 3 ports on its mainboard. Yesterday I bought a PCI-E to USB 3.0 expansion card with two ports.

I installed the card, connected the floppy power cable, and windows 10 installed its driver with no issues. There is no yellow mark in the device manager.

First I connected my USB 3.0, 2.5" Seagate drive and windows properly recognized it and set its speed at USB 3.0. I copied a lot of files at a constant max speed of about 95 MB/s. So far everything is good.

Then I tried my 3.5" Buffalo USB 3.0 drive. No matter what I did, it simply would not connect at USB 3 speed, only USB 2. I tried both ports. The drive's external power adapter is connected.

Windows does know that it's a USB 3 device, since it shows the message "This device can perform faster if connected to USB 3.0".

The drive does come with a cable with blue USB 3 connectors.

Anyone ever experienced such an issue before?

:)

eddman, Aug 14, 2017
  2. JonGrimes Win User

how do u update from usb 2 to usb 3

Hi,

USB 3.0 devices are backward compatible with USB 2.0. Therefore your USB 3.0 flash drive should work connected

to your USB 2.0 PC. (It will only work at USB 2.0 specs, but it should work.)

The only way to get USB 3.0 ports on a notebook, laptop, tablet PC is to buy a system that already has USB 3.0 ports.

Desktop PC motherboards that only come with USB 2.0 ports can usually be upgraded to USB 3.0 by simply installing

a USB 3.0 PCI add in card to one of the motherboards available PCI slots (or buying a new Desktop motherboard

with USB 3.0 ports.)

However, if you don't mind the much slower USB 2.0 performance your USB 3.0 Flash drive will have it should still

be detected & work connected to your USB 2.0 PC. This is a hardware issue, no update or software alone can

change a USB 2.0 port into a USB 3.0 port.

JonGrimes, Aug 14, 2017
  3. hi

Blu-Ray drives of all external models require a USB 3.0 port only. Make sure you plug it into a USB 3.0 port. If your laptop does not have one and only USB 2.0 ports, you will not function that drive with it.

James Vinyard, Aug 14, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

In general, the first thing to try with any USB device that doesn't behave correctly (or at all) is to open Device Manager, find the device and uninstall it. If you don't currently have the device connected you may need to select 'show hidden devices' in Device Manager's 'View' menu.

If an inappropriate driver had been loaded the first time it was connected it will continue to be used on all subsequent times. Uninstalling it will make windows 'forget' and choose the driver from scratch.

5. From my experience,I recommend you to install specific manufacturer driver for PCI-E to USB3 card.If you cannot find such drivers, look at device itself and write down the name of the chip and look online for that model.

popvaler30, Aug 14, 2017
  6. eddman Win User
    I did as you said but no change. Is it possible that the disk itself has a fault and cannot connect at USB 3? Firmware incompatibility?

Maybe it's the cable but I have no spare one. It has a big USB B plug. I've used it very few times, so I doubt it's worn out, unless it was faulty from the factory.

I did but couldn't find anything proper. They were all at least 4 years old. The card itself came with a CD but the driver is dated 2009. I tried this one too but nothing happened at all.

eddman, Aug 14, 2017
  7. pbcopter Win User
    Please provide your computer specs, including the model of PCI-E card you are using.

Have you tried the drive on another computer?

pbcopter, Aug 15, 2017
  8. External 3.5" Buffalo USB 3.0 drive only connects at USB 2.0 mode

Please, note manufacturer of PCI -E card and find out what chip is using.And based on the name of that chip search for generic drivers, or inf drivers add install them using add new hardware and manual select inf file, or right click on inf file and select install.The chip might be Renessas, or Asmedia, or something like that, regardless of the actual name of PCI-E card.

popvaler30, Aug 15, 2017
  9. And in bios if you have an option to enable legacy usb 3 device, enable it.

popvaler30, Aug 15, 2017
  10. eddman Win User
    Well, I took the card to the shop and tested it there too, and my 3.5" hard disk did not work at USB 3.0 on their PC either. Apparently the card itself is faulty.

I bought another card from another brand and it works as intended. Full USB 3.0 with my both drives. Problem solved.

The first card was detected as "Renesas USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0.96 (Microsoft)".

The second card is detected as "Etron USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)".

I don't know what those 0.96 and 1.0 numbers mean.

eddman, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. External 3.5" Buffalo USB 3.0 drive only connects at USB 2.0 mode - Similar Threads - External Buffalo USB

2. USB 3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB 3: Somebody fixed my USB 3 ports With the May 2023 Driver. They haven’ worked correctly for more than a year and several driver updates. Thanks a lot! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-3/68c903ad-082d-4aef-8c7d-a40abdfca86c
  3. USB 3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB 3: Somebody fixed my USB 3 ports With the May 2023 Driver. They haven’ worked correctly for more than a year and several driver updates. Thanks a lot! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-3/68c903ad-082d-4aef-8c7d-a40abdfca86c
  4. USB 3 device only connecting as USB 2

USB 3 device only connecting as USB 2: I have a usb 3.0 capture card and the video quality is sub-par. I ran USBDeview, and it shows the device running on usb version 2.0. I verified the device is 3.0, the port and cable are both blue. I have switched ports and cables. I plugged my ssd card in port 1 and it is...
  5. USB 3 device only connecting as USB 2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB 3 device only connecting as USB 2: I have a usb 3.0 capture card and the video quality is sub-par. I ran USBDeview, and it shows the device running on usb version 2.0. I verified the device is 3.0, the port and cable are both blue. I have switched ports and cables. I plugged my ssd card in port 1 and it is...
  6. USB 3 device only connecting as USB 2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. USB does not recognise external drives in USB 2 & 3.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB does not recognise external drives in USB 2 & 3.: USB does not recognise external drives in USB 2 & 3. In a partitioned drive it only shows one partition. With thumb drives it works okay. I posted this last week but I was hit by scammers, that`s why I`m posting again. Thanks in advance....
  8. USB 3.0 transfer speed drops to 0 only on one port. USB port and external drive are NOT...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB 3.0 transfer speed drops to 0 only on one port. USB port and external drive are NOT...: I have a Dell XPS 13 laptop with two USB 3.0 ports. I connect a Seagate expansion drive to the left USB port and transfer a 4GB test file. It transfers about 1GB at 150MB/s and then transfer speed drops to 0. Then it picks up again after 3-4minutes, then drops again...
  9. USB 2 Speeds on USB 3 flash drive.

USB 2 Speeds on USB 3 flash drive.: As per title. Windows 10 has already killed an older USB 2 flash drive, now the new USB 3 one only copies files at 20MBps. USB is seriously broken in Windows 10. 32587
  10. Can't access drives in external USB 3 enclosures

Can't access drives in external USB 3 enclosures: Ever since I switched over to my new Windows 10 PC, I haven't been able to access my external USB 3.0 enclosures. They are all 4-disk enclosures by IcyDock (Black Vortex). On my old Windows 7 PC, all I had to do was turn it on and all 4 drives were detected via USB 3. Now on...