Windows 10: External 3" Floppy Drive for Laptop Running Windows 10?

Discus and support External 3" Floppy Drive for Laptop Running Windows 10? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Is it possible to get an external floppy drive for my HP laptop which is running Windows 10? I have boxes of old 3" floppies sitting around that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Rayzen, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Rayzen Win User

External 3" Floppy Drive for Laptop Running Windows 10?

Is it possible to get an external floppy drive for my HP laptop which is running Windows 10? I have boxes of old 3" floppies sitting around that I haven't looked at in years. It would be nice to be able to view the files on them once more.

I looked on Amazon, but the only ones I saw were stated as being compatible with earlier versions of Windows, such as Vista, XP, or 7. None were stated as being compatible with Windows 10, specifically. Maybe they actually would be, but I just would like to know, before I spent the money, only to find out that I have wasted time & money.

Any helpful advice would be much appreciated!

:)

Rayzen, Feb 22, 2017

2. External floppy disc drive

I have windows 10 on my desktop and my laptop computers. My external floppy disk drive works perfectly on my laptop but won't on my desktop .Why is this and what can I do so I can use it on both ?

JESSIEPEARCE, Feb 22, 2017
  3. Read vikdeo in a: drive?

Compact disc is normally read from an optical drive, which drive D:

Drive A: is normally assigned to a 3.5 Floppy drive.

Unless you have access to a complete with such a drive, there is no other way. You could probably pick up a USB floppy external drive and use it to read floppy disks.

Andre Da Costa, Feb 22, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Should be compatible, I have 3 on hand that work with Win10 connected to USB 2.0 ports, a couple from Dell and one unbranded. Also, I've found it best to Open the write-protect switch on the floppies to prevent an issue that arose with Win7 otherwise data can be screwed up.

I haven't tried the drives on USB 3.0 ports yet.

Berton, Feb 22, 2017
  5. pbcopter Win User
    I have an old Panasonic USB external 3.5 inch floppy drive that works fine with Windows 10 in both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports.
    I paid $7.00 USD for it on eBay a few years ago.

pbcopter, Feb 22, 2017
  6. Rayzen Win User
    Well, thanks guys. Those two comments give me the encouragement to go ahead and send off for one and hope for the best. It's not a some kind of a life-or-death issue, and I would be out only $15 or so, at the worst, but every few bucks saved helps, when you're retired.

Being able to look at a big pile of floppies that I haven't used in over ten years is kinda opening a time capsule. It'll be fun to see just what's in those disks...old pictures, articles...

Thanks again. You guys are great!

Rayzen, Feb 22, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    @Rayzen,

When you plug it in, make sure and click on This PC on the left in file explorer, the floppy drive will show up under Devices and Drives in the right pane:

External 3" Floppy Drive for Laptop Running Windows 10? [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Feb 22, 2017
  8. Berton Win User

You're welcome. I'd suggest you also copy the data to a Folder on your computer then burn to a DVD for archiving then you can toss the floppies.

I also use WinImage for archiving program install disks, create new ones later if needed.
    What is WinImage

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. External 3" Floppy Drive for Laptop Running Windows 10? - Similar Threads - External Floppy Drive

2. external 3 1/2 floppy drive not recognized in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external 3 1/2 floppy drive not recognized in Windows 10: Fellow MS community members,I have several 3 1/2 floppy discs which I would like to view the data. As I have been able to utilize the drive previously, it does engage when plugging it into a USB port the install CD no longer allows me to initial the SETUP file nor does...
  3. external 3 1/2 floppy drive not recognized in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external 3 1/2 floppy drive not recognized in Windows 10: Fellow MS community members,I have several 3 1/2 floppy discs which I would like to view the data. As I have been able to utilize the drive previously, it does engage when plugging it into a USB port the install CD no longer allows me to initial the SETUP file nor does...
  4. external 3 1/2 floppy drive not recognized in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. External floppy drive

External floppy drive: Will Microsoft ever come out with a driver to support external floppy drives for windows 10 pro? What have you done to windows 10 & 10 pro? So so many people want a answer. * Moved from Mobile Devices...
  6. External hard drives not recognized by 3 different laptops running windows 10

External hard drives not recognized by 3 different laptops running windows 10: So after the last update Jan 13, 2021...a normally functioning ext Hard-drive 2tb Seagate went kaput. After trouble shooting ever recommended variation including new cord, new USB ports and two separate laptops, device managers for each i get nothing...I order a new external...
  7. Driver for using an external floppy drive on Windows 10

Driver for using an external floppy drive on Windows 10: I have windows 10. Recently purchased used Imation Super Disk 120 in order to copy old files onto some CDs. The Super Disk shows up on my computer as B floppy. However, whenever a disk is inserted, the messages says the disk media is not recognized. It may not be...
  8. Why won't Windows 10 read 3.5" floppy disk on external USB floppy drive?

Why won't Windows 10 read 3.5" floppy disk on external USB floppy drive?: Is there a fix to make Windows 10 read 3.5 floppy disks on a USB floppy disk drive. The drive shows up in the Devices and Printers screen but when I right click on the device and choose "Browse files" and then choose "Floppy Disk DriveA:" it replies "A:\ is not accessible....
  9. The use of an external USB Floppy Drive with Win 10

The use of an external USB Floppy Drive with Win 10: After reading all the recommended procedures here for getting a USB Floppy Drive to work in Win 10 including the remove and reinstall drivers i have come to the following conclusions: 1- the system search ONLY yields that the drivers are current 2- removing drivers in the...
  10. iomega external floppy disk drive on Windows 10

iomega external floppy disk drive on Windows 10: I am trying to install an iomega external floppy disk drive on Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/iomega-external-floppy-disk-drive-on-windows-10/5e213f55-7250-4293-8eb9-c3182527c23e