Windows 10: External data driven showing system reserved, unknown, not initialised

Discus and support External data driven showing system reserved, unknown, not initialised in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi I am using the seagate 2tb drive to transfer data to a backup using syncToy. The drive has been working normally but this time it took a long... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by matthwin, Dec 17, 2016.

1. matthwin Win User

External data driven showing system reserved, unknown, not initialised

Hi
    I am using the seagate 2tb drive to transfer data to a backup using syncToy.

The drive has been working normally but this time it took a long time to read ( slow moving green bar in address)

It finally became unread by the pc so I attempted to rectify this by using disk management. This showed the disk as "Not initialised." In attempting to sort this out I have made it a "System Reserved" drive!

See attached screen shot

Question
    How to get the drive working, preferably with the data intact?

:)

matthwin, Dec 17, 2016
  2. Hart2459 Win User

External Hard Drive is not getting recognized properly.

Original Title: External Hard Drive Issue

Hello,

I have a 2 WD My Passport 2TB external hard drives with a lot of backup data on. I cannot access them from my laptop, however they work fine on other computers, TV, etc. The USB ports on my laptop are functional as I can use other devices from them. On plugging
    the hard drives in, they do not appear in 'my computer', however when I look at 'devices and printers' they appear and have the option to safely remove. I have tried the troubleshoot tool on this page with no success.

After doing a bit of online research, I have found that when I open disk management, sometimes they appear as disk 1, unknown, 0GB, not initialised (It wont let me initialise them) and other times they just don't appear there at all (like now).

I'm at a bit of a loss, any ideas?

Thank you!

Hart2459, Dec 17, 2016
  3. Folders invisible on external hard drive?

Hi,

This could happen if the files on the External driven are hidden. Follow the steps

• Press Windows + X
    • Click Control panel
    • Click Appearance and Personalization
    • Click on Show Hidden files

Vinod Archak, Dec 17, 2016
  4. matthwin Win User

Hi
    I am using the seagate 2tb drive to transfer data to a backup using syncToy.

The drive has been working normally but this time it took a long time to read ( slow moving green bar in address)

It finally became unread by the pc so I attempted to rectify this by using disk management. This showed the disk as "Not initialised." In attempting to sort this out I have made it a "System Reserved" drive!

See attached screen shot

External data driven showing system reserved, unknown, not initialised [​IMG]

Question
    How to get the drive working, preferably with the data intact?

Sorry I missed out the screen shot.

matthwin, Dec 17, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Dec 17, 2016
  6. matthwin Win User
    Greetings and thanks for your reply when you must be taken up with the coming holiday.

I tried MiniTool and am able to access some files. However Windows is unable to access the drive and Seagate tools also fails. I would like to format it and copy my backup over.

error message

Disk management raises a query over disk 3 - I do not have anything connected.

and the log event - with nothing connected

In short I am completely foxed. Any solutions to allow access to format the usb 2tb Seagate drive?

Many thanks

Mat.w.

matthwin, Dec 19, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Leave the drive disconnected. Restart the computer by selecting Restart from the power menu. After Winodws restarts, reconnect the USB drive, preferably to a different USB port than before.

NavyLCDR, Dec 19, 2016
  8. matthwin Win User

Hi

Did that - no luck - drive not found.

matthwin, Dec 19, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Is it just that no drive letter is assigned to it, or does the physical drive not show up at all in Disk Management?

NavyLCDR, Dec 20, 2016
  10. matthwin Win User
    Disk management fails to show drive at all.

However I get a "windows recognition sound " when connecting the drive and disk management "Action/Rescan" causes the program to hang - (for longer 2 minutes apx) - than a refresh or rescan without the drive connected. So there is "some" recognition by disk management.

I am grateful for you interest. The last time a Naval Officer took an interest in me I was a probationary acting sub lieutenant and the outcome was unfortunate!

Mat.w.

matthwin, Dec 21, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    It sounds like either the USB to SATA adapter is bad, or the hard drive is bad. USB enclosures for SATA hard drives are relatively inexpensive now days, just make sure to get one for the proper size hard drive you have, 3.5" with a power supply for a "desktop" USB drive or 2.5" for a "laptop" USB drive.

Before you buy a new enclosure, you can also pull the hard drive out of the current enclosure and connect it to a SATA port on a desktop computer and see if it works that way to determine if it is the USB to SATA adapter that is bad or the drive itself that is bad.

NavyLCDR, Dec 22, 2016
  12. matthwin Win User
    Hello again

Its a small Seagate sealed unit so it looks like a bin job. No real problem as I am well backed up and have another on order. I will give Seagate a call and see if there is a solution.

Many thanks for your time.

Mat.w.

matthwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. External data driven showing system reserved, unknown, not initialised - Similar Threads - External data driven

2. Unknown Sound Device on Windows 11 driven Netbook

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown Sound Device on Windows 11 driven Netbook: Hi dear community,i am faced with a very odd and frustrating situation: A few days ago, i had to reinstall Windows 11 on a former Windows 10 budget netbook from the hardware distributor called Denver. For reasons unknown, the system could not boot into Windows anymore and...
  3. Unknown Sound Device on Windows 11 driven Netbook

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unknown Sound Device on Windows 11 driven Netbook: Hi dear community,i am faced with a very odd and frustrating situation: A few days ago, i had to reinstall Windows 11 on a former Windows 10 budget netbook from the hardware distributor called Denver. For reasons unknown, the system could not boot into Windows anymore and...
  4. Access The System & Reserved Files Of External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access The System & Reserved Files Of External Hard Drive: Hi,This is the WD 25E1 External Hard Drive, maybe in a rush I shifted a huge amount of storage in one of the System Folder of the drive and now I am unable to access it, Please Suggest a way to access the files....
  5. Access The System & Reserved Files Of External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access The System & Reserved Files Of External Hard Drive: Hi,This is the WD 25E1 External Hard Drive, maybe in a rush I shifted a huge amount of storage in one of the System Folder of the drive and now I am unable to access it, Please Suggest a way to access the files....
  6. Recover Data on Not Initialised external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recover Data on Not Initialised external HDD: I replaced the the PCB on a Toshiba 1TB External HDD as the USB connection dislodged, paying careful attention to the part details: https://www.hddzone.com/mq01ubd100-toshiba-pcb-g3448a-p-3446.html. There is about 300GB of data on the disk and was working perfactley....
  7. System sending data to unknown IP.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System sending data to unknown IP.: Hey, recently I had problem that I still did not fix, my system has got weird lag spikes, that happen in random intervals (whenever I ping google.pl, latency is ~20ms, but sometimes it's 400ms). I installed wireshark to check if there is something being sent in background....
  8. System Reserved partition is on my data drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Reserved partition is on my data drive: I'm trying to do a disk image backup of the C: drive. However, since my system reserved partition is on my data drive (D:) it backs up my entire 1TB data drive. I know that generally the system reserved partition is a separate partition of less than 200MB, but somehow on my...
  9. Disk 1 Unknown Not initialised

Disk 1 Unknown Not initialised: Hi, I have made a stupid mistake by resetting my windows 10 using the advanced start-up option without any device or disc( just my laptop). Later, I have found that the computer can only recognise my C drive, and when I go to my disk manager, it shows my other drive to be...
  10. USB hard drive Unknown and not initialised

USB hard drive Unknown and not initialised: Hi I have a 1TB external USB hard drive, it is not showing up in 'my computer' the light on the hard drive is constantly flashing and randomly beeps and clicks when first plugged in, I have never heard this until today.. I have tried it on two laptops, windows 7 and windows...