Windows 10: External drive reporting wrong capacity

Discus and support External drive reporting wrong capacity in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi All, We use a 1tb Western Digital USB3 external drive for a system backup on a desktop PC under windows 10. After formatting it's showing 931gb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Leyobahn, May 15, 2017.

1. Leyobahn Win User

External drive reporting wrong capacity

Hi All,

We use a 1tb Western Digital USB3 external drive for a system backup on a desktop PC under windows 10. After formatting it's showing 931gb capacity.

The Windows Image Backup file is approx 560gb. Problem is the drive is now saying there is only 79gb space available on the drive. I ticked the "show hidden files" option but there still only seems to be a total of 560gb on the drive.

Any idea what's happened to the remaining disk space or how we can get it back? Just spent the last hour on Google trying to find a solution but don't seem to be getting anywhere

Thanks in advance if anyone can help...

:)

Leyobahn, May 15, 2017
  2. AngSin Win User

Drive capacity wrong

Before that, I spli my 1tb drive to two (901gb and 29 gb) then I delete the 29gb volume and extend to the 901gb volume with disk management then i get a error (the perimeter is not correct) so i ignore it and restart pc . After that the 29gb just missing
    from my computer but it does showup in diskmanagment and diskpart . As the image showed, my pc show only 901gb but disk management showed that i have 931gb?? Sorry for broken English.....
    External drive reporting wrong capacity [​IMG]

AngSin, May 15, 2017
  3. Drive capacity wrong

Hi Ang,

We need to do further investigation so that we can identify the cause of the issue. We suggest running Disk Cleanup first and see if it will make a difference.

Looking forward to your response.

Radney Dri, May 15, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

No. It is just way windows reports a kilobyte as 1024 bytes but strictly a kilobyte is 1000 bytes.

Thus 931 GB is 931*1024*1024*1023 bytes equals 1000,000,000,000 bytes.

Drive manufacturers use strict 1000 bytes to kilobyte definition.

It is actually Windows that is wrong really but been that for ever. If you used same drive on OSX, same capacity would be reported as 1000 GB

cereberus, May 15, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    My MacBook Pro with a 500GB HDD is showing as 498.88GB using Mac OS Extended (Journaled) formatting. It also could be called HFS Plus. The formatting of HDDs using FAT/FAT16/FAT32, exFAT or NTFS will report different capacities.

Windows and the older DOS basically use multiples of 2 when working with RAM/Random Access Memory and drive storage such as 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 128, 256, 1024, etc.

Berton, May 15, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Welcome to TenForums @Leyobahn

You may not want to get it back, not if it is occupied by a volume shadow copy that may have been created when you made the system image. To see how much space is used by VSS, open a Command prompt (Admin) go the external drive and type: vssadmin list shadowstorage

7. Leyobahn Win User
    Thank you Bree!

We got our IT consultants on it and that is exactly what happened! Have now learned about "shadow copies"

Thanks for your help all x

Leyobahn, May 15, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Apple use strict definition of kilo as 1000.

Windows do not. The term KiB has now been introduced to mean 1024 (GiB is 1024*1024*1024 whereas as GB is 1000*1000*1000).

So Windows actually reports GiB but calls them GB (of course windows predates GiB).

so 931 GiB = 1000 GB.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. External drive reporting wrong capacity - Similar Threads - External drive reporting

2. External hard drive has lost most of its capacity

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive has lost most of its capacity: When I first installed my WD 2.0TB external hard drive 2 weeks ago on my Windows 10 HP Pavilion using my I Insignia docking station, it showed 1.81 TB of storage space. Now it shows only 34 GB. What did I do wrong? How can I get the full storage back?...
  3. Disk Management and Windows Explorer reporting false drive capacity following a restore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Management and Windows Explorer reporting false drive capacity following a restore: Hi all I'm running Windows 10 Pro on a 5,1 Mac Pro using Bootcamp. I have upgraded my HD to an SSD and I've restored my old HD partition to the SSD using Winclone. My new Windows partition is larger than the old one. Problem is, Windows explorer still reports the old (and...
  4. Cortana reports wrong location

in Cortana
    Cortana reports wrong location: Cortana has wrong address for me and I have been unable to change it. Does anyone have any idea how to do this? I have tried multiple suggestions none have worked. It is very frustrating to told that I am in a location 4000 miles away when in reality I am less than 10....
  5. Determining the capacity of a flash drive

Determining the capacity of a flash drive: Because I wanted to know exactly how much memory capacity a particular flash drive has. Because I tried checking it out in file explorer but no luck with it. Thanks in advance....
  6. Disk Management Shrink Volume wrong capacity

Disk Management Shrink Volume wrong capacity: I have 6 partitions on my hard drive. Under Disk Management, when I select a partition and then "Shrink" all but one shows the total capacity correctly, along with the amount to shrink and then the remaining that will be left. However on one partition, when selecting shrink,...
  7. External Hard Drive Capacity?

External Hard Drive Capacity?: Given my new PC has 2TB then should I have a 2TB external hard drive for backup? I'm considering nothing other than equipped capacities. Truthfully, I currently have no idea how much of that 2TB will be used. I just want to be on the safe side. Thanks 69318
  8. external HDD not showing true capacity

external HDD not showing true capacity: when win ten first came out i used a 1TB external HDD to create a recovery drive now with a new laptop i decided to reformat the drive but widows says it has only 32 GIG on it and dose not show any directories or anything? whats up*Sad 47817
  9. One Drive Capacity

One Drive Capacity: How do I find out how much capacity I have for free storage on One Drive. Currently the only information I see is 20.5gb remaining. How do i find out how much I started with i.e. used already 25688
  10. Crazy Report / Wrong Report

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Crazy Report / Wrong Report: well i finish format my PC i install drivers and programs and when i check command perform /report this appear [img] [img] is imposibility beacuse before format this error / warning dont appear , and also i have literaly a monster PC i7 3930k 16 GB ram ddr3 SSD...