Windows 10: External drive reporting wrong capacity

Discus and support External drive reporting wrong capacity in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi All, We use a 1tb Western Digital USB3 external drive for a system backup on a desktop PC under windows 10. After formatting it's showing 931gb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Leyobahn, May 15, 2017.

1. Leyobahn Win User

External drive reporting wrong capacity

Hi All,

We use a 1tb Western Digital USB3 external drive for a system backup on a desktop PC under windows 10. After formatting it's showing 931gb capacity.

The Windows Image Backup file is approx 560gb. Problem is the drive is now saying there is only 79gb space available on the drive. I ticked the "show hidden files" option but there still only seems to be a total of 560gb on the drive.

Any idea what's happened to the remaining disk space or how we can get it back? Just spent the last hour on Google trying to find a solution but don't seem to be getting anywhere

Thanks in advance if anyone can help...

:)

Leyobahn, May 15, 2017
  2. AngSin Win User

Drive capacity wrong

Before that, I spli my 1tb drive to two (901gb and 29 gb) then I delete the 29gb volume and extend to the 901gb volume with disk management then i get a error (the perimeter is not correct) so i ignore it and restart pc . After that the 29gb just missing
    from my computer but it does showup in diskmanagment and diskpart . As the image showed, my pc show only 901gb but disk management showed that i have 931gb?? Sorry for broken English.....
    External drive reporting wrong capacity [​IMG]

AngSin, May 15, 2017
  3. Drive capacity wrong

Hi Ang,

We need to do further investigation so that we can identify the cause of the issue. We suggest running Disk Cleanup first and see if it will make a difference.

Looking forward to your response.

Radney Dri, May 15, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

No. It is just way windows reports a kilobyte as 1024 bytes but strictly a kilobyte is 1000 bytes.

Thus 931 GB is 931*1024*1024*1023 bytes equals 1000,000,000,000 bytes.

Drive manufacturers use strict 1000 bytes to kilobyte definition.

It is actually Windows that is wrong really but been that for ever. If you used same drive on OSX, same capacity would be reported as 1000 GB

cereberus, May 15, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    My MacBook Pro with a 500GB HDD is showing as 498.88GB using Mac OS Extended (Journaled) formatting. It also could be called HFS Plus. The formatting of HDDs using FAT/FAT16/FAT32, exFAT or NTFS will report different capacities.

Windows and the older DOS basically use multiples of 2 when working with RAM/Random Access Memory and drive storage such as 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 128, 256, 1024, etc.

Berton, May 15, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Welcome to TenForums @Leyobahn

You may not want to get it back, not if it is occupied by a volume shadow copy that may have been created when you made the system image. To see how much space is used by VSS, open a Command prompt (Admin) go the external drive and type: vssadmin list shadowstorage

7. Leyobahn Win User
    Thank you Bree!

We got our IT consultants on it and that is exactly what happened! Have now learned about "shadow copies"

Thanks for your help all x

Leyobahn, May 15, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Apple use strict definition of kilo as 1000.

Windows do not. The term KiB has now been introduced to mean 1024 (GiB is 1024*1024*1024 whereas as GB is 1000*1000*1000).

So Windows actually reports GiB but calls them GB (of course windows predates GiB).

so 931 GiB = 1000 GB.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. External drive reporting wrong capacity - Similar Threads - External drive reporting

2. I see wrong capacity for my drive C:\

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I see wrong capacity for my drive C:\: My sabrent nvme is 2 TB but here is what I see:Aomei partition Asistant:What is wrong ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-see-wrong-capacity-for-my-drive-c/346d6d74-b201-44cc-8960-c166bc3a6e40
  3. I see wrong capacity for my drive C:\

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I see wrong capacity for my drive C:\: My sabrent nvme is 2 TB but here is what I see:Aomei partition Asistant:What is wrong ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-see-wrong-capacity-for-my-drive-c/346d6d74-b201-44cc-8960-c166bc3a6e40
  4. I see wrong capacity for my drive C:\

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Battery Report Capacity

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Battery Report Capacity: I have a laptop wher the battery report shows the FULL CHARGE CAPACITY and the DESIGN CAPACITY both are the same. They both decrease but the value is always the same. I would like to know how to fix or reset this issue. PERIODFULL CHARGE CAPACITYDESIGN CAPACITY2021-07-06 -...
  6. The hard drive Capacity is Wrong.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The hard drive Capacity is Wrong.: I upgraded from a 120GB SSD to a 250GB SSD. When I installed the system image it said I only have about 5GB left as if it was the 120GB hard drive. How do I partition this to show the right storage amount? submitted by /u/nwl5 [link] [comments]...
  7. Stogare Spaces reports wrong pool capacity

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Stogare Spaces reports wrong pool capacity: Hello, Earlier last month i reinstalled my computer, currently running the latest version of Windows 10 Pro 20H2. I have a storage pool of 2 6TB drives and 2 storage spaces, one of the spaces is a simple space with no resiliency and the other is a two-way mirror. Both...
  8. USB or External Drive shows wrong size or incorrect capacity

in Windows 10 News
    USB or External Drive shows wrong size or incorrect capacity: [ATTACH]Sometimes, when you attempt to format a USB or an External drive, it shows […] This article USB or External Drive shows wrong size or incorrect capacity first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. New Boot Drive Showing Wrong Capacity

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New Boot Drive Showing Wrong Capacity: I just picked up a new SSD for my system, and after copying everything over from my old hard drive, it now shows the same capacity and name as the old one as well. I know the name can be changed easily, however I’ve restarted the system multiple times and the new drive still...
  10. External Hard Drive Capacity?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive Capacity?: Given my new PC has 2TB then should I have a 2TB external hard drive for backup? I'm considering nothing other than equipped capacities. Truthfully, I currently have no idea how much of that 2TB will be used. I just want to be on the safe side. Thanks 69318