Windows 10: External DVD burner will only read discs

Discus and support External DVD burner will only read discs in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Greetings, last night i tried to burn off some photos with my external dvd-rw drive "Samsung SE-208". However when i tried it said the burn failed to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by smegcorp, Jun 21, 2016.

1. smegcorp Win User

External DVD burner will only read discs

Greetings, last night i tried to burn off some photos with my external dvd-rw drive "Samsung SE-208". However when i tried it said the burn failed to initiate. It would also make several doodoots like i was plugin and unpling stuff from usb.
    Thinking the drive might have seen betters days, i tested it on a laptop and i worked fine. Thinking it may be a driver issue i soon found that the drivers for burning a
    dvd were already built into windows 10 and that it may be a corrupted registry file.
    I went into Regedit in hopes to find the upper and lower registry files that it seems that many had to just remove to get the drive burning again. However i had no such files
    I was reading around some more and was told to delete all registry files from that directory HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318
    Worried that deleting a small batch of registry files i read on in the comments and found people saying it worked. I gave it a shot. I was under the assumption the registry would repair
    its self with a reboot. When i went back to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 i found that nothing was left but two files that really seemed to not have anything to do with the dvd burner.

External DVD burner will only read discs [​IMG]

I also went into the device manager with the drive pluged in and uninstalled it. When i plugged it back in it now shows up in the unknown section.

External DVD burner will only read discs [​IMG]

Im trying to find out what i need to add back to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 in hopes of getting the drive back.

It reads just fine. Just fails when i try to burn
    Also i used the defult windows burner and Nero.

One more thing, I was going to try and go back to a restore point but it seems i never turned that on.

Thank you for any help.

sorry about the length of the post.

:)

smegcorp, Jun 21, 2016
  2. JimWynne Win User

Windows 10 recognises my DVD ROM as a CD ROM

Are you referring to a DVD burner? A "ROM" device is, by definition, read-only and is incapable of burning/recording optical discs. Does the drive work normally?

JimWynne, Jun 21, 2016
  3. tommcray Win User
    need to format a blank dvd disc in windows 10

**** fire ! what kind of answer is that ? I ask a simple question about how to format a DVD disc on external disc burner and you give me the royal run around and eat up all my time !!

tommcray, Jun 21, 2016
  4. smegcorp Win User

I ended up copying the Reg info from my laptop. PC runs fine. Still reads dvd's i just cant get it to write on this pc.

I was looking over the DVD RW properties and under Events it says 3/23/2016 Device deleted "Device USBSTOR\CDROM&VEN_TSSTCORP&PROD_CDDVDW_SE-208DB&REV_MF00\R8X76YAFC015EG_&0 was deleted.

Class Guid: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

smegcorp, Jun 22, 2016
Thema:

1. External DVD burner will only read discs - Similar Threads - External DVD burner

2. DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.: I'm using DVD RW drive. I was not used it for a while and now when I tried to use it it looks like it read only CD discs when show size is 0, but can play it as expected. Regarding DVD discs, the lamp is blinking but it show as disc is empty,Edition Windows 10 Home Version...
  3. DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.: I'm using DVD RW drive. I was not used it for a while and now when I tried to use it it looks like it read only CD discs when show size is 0, but can play it as expected. Regarding DVD discs, the lamp is blinking but it show as disc is empty,Edition Windows 10 Home Version...
  4. DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. external dvd burner

external dvd burner: in the past few days my dvd burner can no longer be recognised when a blank disc is enclosed insert writable disc however same burner has no problem burning cd. bought another burner and same problem. tried updating driver and wondering if I reset windows would this resolve...
  6. DVD Drive Unable to Read Discs

DVD Drive Unable to Read Discs: My DVD drive can't read any discs at all. Whenever I try to open the disc, it returns this error: [ATTACH] I've tried Methods 3 and 6 listed here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/314060/your-cd-or-dvd-drive-is-not-recognized-by-windows-or-other-programs, but it...
  7. WMP Disc Burner

WMP Disc Burner: This message appears after the disc burner fails to burn cd.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wmp-disc-burner/72d967e7-4df6-4cdd-b19a-5c98fd7770f5
  8. DVD Drive Won't Read Discs

DVD Drive Won't Read Discs: Hello! I have a Dell Latitude e6440. The DVD drive just randomly stopped reading disc's a week and a half ago in the middle of playing a DVD. Any ideas of things I could try to fix it?...
  9. DVD burner

DVD burner: I have taken videos of family on my go pro, and have purchased windows 10 and office 365 (which you now have to pay for annually) on a new Lenovo laptop and I have no DVD burner soft wear. Are we getting ripped off or what?...
  10. CD/DVD Drive not reading discs

CD/DVD Drive not reading discs: Hello! Since upgrading to Windows 10 my PC has been unable to read any CD/DVD disc I put in. I hear it spinning so I doubt there's any problem with the CD/DVD Drive itself. [img] I was thinking it could be a driver issue, but there doesn't seem like there's any...