Windows 10: External Enclosure for Connecting Media including Firewire

Discus and support External Enclosure for Connecting Media including Firewire in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My old XP computer has a Trust media Connect Bay CR-3300 on the front panel. Would it be possible to remove this and install it in an external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by A Gray, Mar 5, 2018.

1. A Gray Win User

External Enclosure for Connecting Media including Firewire

My old XP computer has a Trust media Connect Bay CR-3300 on the front panel. Would it be possible to remove this and install it in an external enclosure so that I could couple it up to my Windows 10 computer using USB. My main reason for wanting this is that the media card has a firewire socket and I want to download footage from an old video camera which uses firewire and burn the same to DVD.

:)

A Gray, Mar 5, 2018
  2. kjl1956 Win User

Can't recieve hard disk

How is the drive connected, usb esata or firewire.

I had an issue with an external drive where win10

said the firmware was to old.

I had the drive connected by firewire using an older

enclosure.

Do not know if what the os was referring to was the

hard drive or the enclosure, because I did not try

connecting it via esata or usb.

You can try a different interface and see if the

drive shows up.

If that does not work or it is not feasible, you can cheek

to see if the drive loaded in windows.

Control panel, computer management, administrator tools(

at the very bottom ) computer management,

disk management; all the disks in the system should be listed,

how they are connected, format type.

If the drive does not show up could be a bios setting or

if it says raw then its not formated.

kjl1956, Mar 5, 2018
  3. Uwe001 Win User
    Win 10 dropping mapped drives?

I have two external enclosures connected to my computer. Until the Win10 update yesterday, all mapped drives showed up in the "Safely remove hardware and eject media" list. Since the update though, two drives of a Rosewill SATA enclosure disappeared from
    that list and only the HDs from the other enclosure are still visible. All drives are still accessible from File Explorer. Anyone else seeing this?

Thx

-Uwe

Uwe001, Mar 5, 2018
  4. cereberus Win User

I seriously doubt that would work, as that was for an old style interface and you would have to get appropriate enclosure which I think would be very difficult to find these days.

Probably easier just to buy a firewire to usb converter e.g.

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...A18Q9QEI1QIwAA

cereberus, Mar 5, 2018
  5. Since the CR-3300 uses loop through connectivity for the FireWire plug, this would not be possible. What you need is an USB to FireWire adapter, which is really difficult to get a reliable one. The problem is that although a FW to USB adapter does work in some cases, the protocols are very different. This means that it is highly likely that your camcorder connected to your computer using FW to USB adapter might not get recognized or the data transfer won't work reliably.

What I would recommend, is that you transfer everything from your camcorder to the XP machine while all still works, and consider upgrading camera to something that use more current standards like Internal TransFlash card, SD-card or similar for it's storage and USB or ThunderBolt for data transfer.

FireWire is pretty much extinct, though I know many companies still uses that protocol.

slicendice, Mar 5, 2018
  6. Berton Win User
    Berton, Mar 5, 2018
  7. A Gray Win User
    Many thanks for your replies. I have looked at the simple adapter but that seems to be a no no as the Firewire requires 12v and USB provides 5V only. I think the best solution is to use my old XP computer which although it's a bit creaky now, still works. I don't fancy the idea of plugging cards into the motherboard that could be fraught with problems.

A Gray, Mar 6, 2018
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    @A Gray

as others have suggested -- get the data off your XP machine via USB or whatever. These days you can get mega capacity (4TB etc) self powered small USB drives quite cheaply.

Even a cheap SATA-->USB2/3 connector can connect a really cheap say 300GB lap top HDD to a new machine -- those old laptop HDD's can be had for probably as cheap as 25USD.

With old technology there becomes a point where it's not worth using it any more.

For video footage these days - even a basic smart phone will have a video camera or video capturing possibilities. You old videocam is likely to be bulky and not have very good resolution --time really in this case to either get a new one or use a smart phone for video.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 6, 2018
  9. I fully agree with everything in the above comment regarding old vs new hardware.

When CD/DVD became the standard, I converted all my important MC/VHS into digital form and tossed away all those millions of miles containing tapes. Now all is contained in one single HDD (+ a second HDD for backup), while before I needed almost a whole room for storage.

slicendice, Mar 6, 2018
  10. A Gray Win User
    Thanks for the new replies. I think the use of my old XP computer is the best way if I can find the software that I used previously

A Gray, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. External Enclosure for Connecting Media including Firewire - Similar Threads - External Enclosure Connecting

2. Windows 11 Not Seeing External USB Enclosure Properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Not Seeing External USB Enclosure Properly: I have an ASUS ROG STRIX Arion nvme external drive that I have a 1tb Sabernt drive installed. I have been I used this drive to backup my documents, downloads,... and other misc files before performing a clean install of Windows 11. The drive was formated on a Windows 10...
  3. Formatting Hard Drive in External Enclosure

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Formatting Hard Drive in External Enclosure: Hello All Wanted to format a Hard drive in external enclosure, and swap out a very old drive in Mom's Desktop machine, ((No room for SSD in that system unforuately, Older HP P6-2133W AMD A6-3620 Desktop) Anyways dummy me started the task on Secondary Gaming Laptop PC, so far...
  4. 4 bay external enclosure (non raid) connected to esata/sata

4 bay external enclosure (non raid) connected to esata/sata: 4 bay external enclosure (non raid) - connected via esata cable to sata port on mobo. win 10 19042.631 64bit asus Z87-a mobo drivers up to date Mediasonic ProBox HF2-SU3S2 AHCI in bios Enclosure works fine on usb3.0 trying to free up a usb port and some speed by using esata....
  5. External Enclosure 8TB Seagate Possible Issues?

External Enclosure 8TB Seagate Possible Issues?: Hello All Not sure if the drive itself is having issues or if it's working by design, and the slow with Macirum backups on Laptop machine to the USB 3.0 Enclosure is working as normal, average is 3-5 hours for 1 full image of the month to go, then 2 Sundays after first of...
  6. External Enclosure Bad drive

External Enclosure Bad drive: Well decided to check out from my old AMD FX system, the 2tb storage drive in the Mass Cool Enclosure, HDTune shows entirely red It went thru that error scan the fastest i ever seen it do one lol, not sure if false positive or what, but just in case, transferring the data...
  7. Problems With UASPSTOR and External Enclosures

Problems With UASPSTOR and External Enclosures: I have 3 external enclosures. 1 is a generic Element 3.0 non-UASP. 2 are UASP SYBA 25047 3.1 Gen 2 and ORICO 3.0 - don't know the model. I have 2 drives that I can switch into any of the enclosures. One is a Seagate 500GB HDD. The other is an ADATA SU800 SSD. I am at...
  8. External Bare Drive Enclosure for W10 and Linux

External Bare Drive Enclosure for W10 and Linux: Any recommendations for enclosures that will work with both OS's? 115832
  9. External Bare Drivfe Enclosure for W10 and Linux

in Windows 10 Support
    External Bare Drivfe Enclosure for W10 and Linux: Any recommendations for enclosures that will work with both OS's? 115832
  10. External enclosure won't accept different hard drives

External enclosure won't accept different hard drives: Hello, so to better understand my problem, I recently bought an HDD external enclosure for a hard drive that has some old family memories on it. I hooked it up, closed it and connected it to my Windows 10 laptop. My anti-virus scanned for problems, and there were no problems...