Windows 10: External enclosure won't accept different hard drives

Discus and support External enclosure won't accept different hard drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, so to better understand my problem, I recently bought an HDD external enclosure for a hard drive that has some old family memories on it. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MrKnifeGod, Apr 13, 2017.

1. External enclosure won't accept different hard drives

Hello, so to better understand my problem, I recently bought an HDD external enclosure for a hard drive that has some old family memories on it. I hooked it up, closed it and connected it to my Windows 10 laptop. My anti-virus scanned for problems, and there were no problems and I was able to access all of the family files. Then, I wanted to get some other files from my other laptops that were dead. So I took that hard drive out, and replaced it with the one I plan to get some more files off of. When I plugged it in, it didn't recognize it. It wouldn't even show up in Windows Explorer. I tried another hard drive, and it did the same thing. But when I plug back in my family files hard drive, it worked just fine. So do I have to have other external enclosures for this to recognize my other drives? Really need this fix, thank you.

:)

MrKnifeGod, Apr 13, 2017
  2. Dick_971 Win User

Again-Still Corrupted hard drives.

Since day 1 of installing windows 10 I have been having trouble with corrupted hard drives. I have tried everything from replacing hard drives, replacing external hard drive enclosures, reinstalling windows, and several different computers. The drives that
    I am having problems with are external drives in ESATA and USB3 enclosures.

Dick_971, Apr 13, 2017
  3. Old Hard drive to new hard drive

Just take ownership of the folders on the old drive from the external drive enclosure then copy them over. Learn more:

How to Recover Data from a Hard Drive that Won't Boot - groovyPost

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/recover-data-n...

Andre Da Costa, Apr 13, 2017
  4. External enclosure won't accept different hard drives

Hi MrKnifeGod. Welcome to the TenForums @MrKnifeGod

Could I suggest plugging in one of the drives that is not recognized. Then right click on Start and then left on Disk Management.

Does the drive appear? It may not have a letter in which case you will have to assign a letter. Right click on the disk, you should see option in context menu.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 13, 2017
  5. Thank you, I will try it when I get home. But no, the drive doesn't appear at all. It recognizes the type of enclosure I'm using, but not the actual drive.

MrKnifeGod, Apr 13, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    That problem is reminiscent of DOS and Win3.xx days where a change of floppy disks wasn't recognized, usually had to shut down the computer [to clear its 'mind'], remove the disk then try again.

Berton, Apr 14, 2017
  7. Wow it worked. Thanks a lot!

MrKnifeGod, Apr 14, 2017
  8. External enclosure won't accept different hard drives

Great. Glad I could help.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

External enclosure won't accept different hard drives

1. External enclosure won't accept different hard drives - Similar Threads - External enclosure won't

2. Hard drive in Sabrent USB 3.0 HD enclosure won't appear in This PC and won't initialize in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive in Sabrent USB 3.0 HD enclosure won't appear in This PC and won't initialize in...: I recently reformatted my computer & the HD would not work afterwards.It also works flawlessly when I just unplug it and plug it into another PC.I have read a few other posts and they seem to end before it gets resolved. I've gone to Asus and downloaded/installed all of the...
  3. Hard drive not working in one external enclosure but does in another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive not working in one external enclosure but does in another: I have two external USB hard drive enclosures, both Sabrent brands. One is a single bay model DFLT and I just got a new 4-bay enclosure model SC4B.I bought a new hard drive and installed it into the 4-bay SC4B enclosure, I then went to disk management and a window came up...
  4. Hard drive not working in one external enclosure but does in another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard drive not working in one external enclosure but does in another: I have two external USB hard drive enclosures, both Sabrent brands. One is a single bay model DFLT and I just got a new 4-bay enclosure model SC4B.I bought a new hard drive and installed it into the 4-bay SC4B enclosure, I then went to disk management and a window came up...
  5. Hard drive not working in one external enclosure but does in another

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Formatting Hard Drive in External Enclosure

Formatting Hard Drive in External Enclosure: Hello All Wanted to format a Hard drive in external enclosure, and swap out a very old drive in Mom's Desktop machine, ((No room for SSD in that system unforuately, Older HP P6-2133W AMD A6-3620 Desktop) Anyways dummy me started the task on Secondary Gaming Laptop PC, so far...
  7. External Enclosure Bad drive

External Enclosure Bad drive: Well decided to check out from my old AMD FX system, the 2tb storage drive in the Mass Cool Enclosure, HDTune shows entirely red It went thru that error scan the fastest i ever seen it do one lol, not sure if false positive or what, but just in case, transferring the data...
  8. External Hard Drive suddenly not accepting files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard Drive suddenly not accepting files: I have a brand new external hard drive "Samsung" Model # HX-M202TCB/G M3 Portable 2TB. Was working great, I started to download external music files to it, everything was going fine, then suddenly the drive just stopped accepting files. (still 98% free) Was getting I/O...
  9. External Bare Drive Enclosure for W10 and Linux

External Bare Drive Enclosure for W10 and Linux: Any recommendations for enclosures that will work with both OS's? 115832
  10. External Hard Drive won't power up

External Hard Drive won't power up: I have an old usb 2.0 external drive enclosure with a ~150GB Hitachi drive, that works fine. I took a 500GB drive from a working Linux system, placed it in the enclosure and when powered up nothing happen, the discs don't spin. Is it a problem between window and linux, or...