Windows 10: external graphics card for laptop to run win 10

Discus and support external graphics card for laptop to run win 10 in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have a Dell 6000D laptop with radeon X300 on board graphics module. I am currently running Win 7 home premium. I ran a test to see if it would run... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by nodsirrah, Mar 5, 2016.

1. nodsirrah Win User

external graphics card for laptop to run win 10

I have a Dell 6000D laptop with radeon X300 on board graphics module. I am currently running Win 7 home premium.
    I ran a test to see if it would run Win 10, the results failed because of the X300. I checked and it has the current driver.
    Is it possible to use a USB graphics card to make it run Win 10?

:)

nodsirrah, Mar 5, 2016

2. Dell Inspiron 1720

I upgraded Windows 7 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro on a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop, and the display doesn't work. The upgrade loaded, and everything else seems to work on the laptop, just no screen. The laptop can't detect it's own display in the control panel,
    it will only detect the external monitor I have plugged in through the VGA port.

The graphics card is the original that came on the laptop - NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS.

Is there a driver update that fixes this?

Brett314159, Mar 5, 2016
  3. C_Scg Win User
    Windows 10 - Multiple screens of different dpi shows blurry text

Same problem here.

Windows 10 Pro 64bits system with Intgrated Intel Graphic card and an NVidia GeForce GTX 850M. At work I have my laptop screen running on 1920*1080 resolution, and a 22" screen running on the same resolution, yet when I move a Windows explorer window to
    my external display it gets all blurry, whereas when I open Windows settings (e.g. device manager) it is clear on the external display but not on my laptop screen.

I keep on updating my NVidia graphics card drivers to the latest version (according to them adapted for Windows 10), but this doesn't change a thing.

It would be nice to finally have a definite fix from Microsoft for this issue.

C_Scg, Mar 5, 2016
  4. Carsomyr Win User

That thing is ancient. While I suppose it would be possible to use a usb to vga adapter to hook up an external graphics card, Idk how well they work. For the best experience you would want a usb 3.0 port which I know that thing does not have. There is also no guarantee it would pass the test, until I looked just now I didn't even know you could do usb to vga/dvi/hdmi. I am unsure if the test would take a usb graphics card and if it did that doesn't remove the x300 from the computer, you MIGHT be able to uninstall it and get lucky. But the honest to god truth is you should get a new laptop. Even if it were possible it isn't worth it external graphics card for laptop to run win 10 :p

Carsomyr, Mar 5, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can try switching to the Microsoft Basic Display driver:
    I don't have Windows 7 left but this is the basic procedure:
    Open Device Manager from control panel.
    Click on Display Adapters.
    Right click on your display adapter (X300).
    Update Driver Software.
    Browse my computer for driver software.
    Let me pick from a list of device drivers.
    Microsoft Basic Display Adapter should be in the list. You might have to uncheck the Show compatible hardware checkbox and look for it.
    Then try running the compatibility test with the display adapter running from the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver.

If you get Windows 10 to install under the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter you should be able to manually load the Windows 7 drivers for X300 in much the same way as above but you might have to click have disk and point it to the .inf file for the downloaded drivers.

NavyLCDR, Mar 5, 2016
  6. Archie123 Win User
    it doesnt have enough ram to run windows 10 either to be honest :/ unless you upgraded it?

Archie123, Mar 5, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Windows 10 Specifications - Microsoft

Processor:
    1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC

RAM:

1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit

Hard disk space:
    16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS

Graphics card:
    DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver

Display:
    800x600

NavyLCDR, Mar 6, 2016
  8. nodsirrah Win User

Yes, I upgraded to 2 GB years ago. The only Win 10 rejection I has was the X300 video module.

nodsirrah, Mar 6, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Does it go ahead if you change the driver to Microsoft Basic Display?

NavyLCDR, Mar 7, 2016
  10. nodsirrah Win User
    I never saw "Microsoft Basic Display', at this time of night I can't remember what the choice was, tried whatever it was and it went back to what looked like a 640 display! I went back to the Device Manager and changed it back to X300, I am chicken to try too much since this is beyond my Pay Grade.*Redface
    Thanks for attempting to help.

nodsirrah, Mar 7, 2016
  11. nodsirrah Win User
    Yes, it is ancient, but it runs Win 7 OK. I just keep it around in case my Desktop quits.*cry

nodsirrah, Mar 7, 2016
  12. Just so you know, I have one of those USB-to-VGA adapters to add another display on my desktop, and the adapter is not seen during the boot process. It only appears after Windows has started and has loaded the "display link" (that's what they call themselves) drivers.

So, I doubt you could use it as a primary monitor.

Mark Phelps, Mar 8, 2016
  13. nodsirrah Win User

Thanks Mark, I should have known it is time to retire my old friend.*Mad

nodsirrah, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. external graphics card for laptop to run win 10 - Similar Threads - external graphics card

2. Win 10 1909 Nvidia Graphics card issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 1909 Nvidia Graphics card issue: Dear Team,Greetings...!I could not able to install nvidia graphics card in windows 10 1909 NvasV4 virtual machine. It shows hardware is not compatible. Please help to fix this issue.Thanks,Soundarya...
  3. Win 10 1909 Nvidia Graphics card issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 1909 Nvidia Graphics card issue: Dear Team,Greetings...!I could not able to install nvidia graphics card in windows 10 1909 NvasV4 virtual machine. It shows hardware is not compatible. Please help to fix this issue.Thanks,Soundarya...
  4. Win 10 1909 Nvidia Graphics card issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Laptop GPU graphic cards

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop GPU graphic cards: I have a laptop with an integrated Intel graphics card and an nvidia 1650 ti graphics card. Whenever I go into the nvidia control panel, it does not show any display settings for my laptop and games, which I found out is caused by the integrated intel graphics card...
  6. drivers of graphics card laptop

drivers of graphics card laptop: look I have a problem with the dedicated graphics card drivers of my laptop, for some reason when you upgrade to windows 10 this stop working only works the dedicated one, the name of the graph is radeon hd 8600/8700m in windows 8.1 works perfectly but in windows 10 does not,...
  7. Laptops with a dedicated graphics card

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Laptops with a dedicated graphics card: A friend of mine has just bought a laptop with Windows 10 and a dedicated graphics card. I am attaching a few screenshots below so that I can ask you a few questions.1. In PCs a dedicated graphics card is a totally separate piece of hardware, but what about laptops with a...
  8. How to enable radeon 530 graphics card on dell laptop running microsoft 10

How to enable radeon 530 graphics card on dell laptop running microsoft 10: Hello Microsoft, I have disabled intel UHD 620 graphics (intel i7 8550u @ 1.80 GHz) using device manager, but instead of using the other graphics card, (AMD Radeon 530), it decides to go to the 'Microsoft Basic Display Driver' instead. Is there a way for me to actually get...
  9. External Graphics Card Via USB-C?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Graphics Card Via USB-C?: Hi, I’m wondering if it’s possbile to connect an external graphics card (eGPU) to my laptop via USB-C. I know that the golden standard for eGPU connections is Thunderbolt 3, but my laptop does not support Thunderbolt 3 connection. However, since Thunderbolt 3 is connected...
  10. Z97 Use Integrated graphics card along with external graphics card.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Z97 Use Integrated graphics card along with external graphics card.: Hey, recently, I have came up with an idea of a fourth monitor, but my GPU (970) supports only three, which ones that I own. It has fourth one but I don't have the right cables for it for now. I noticed that my motherboard has two open video ports, one being VGA which I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 external graphics card for laptop