Windows 10: External Hard Drive Capacity?

Discus and support External Hard Drive Capacity? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Given my new PC has 2TB then should I have a 2TB external hard drive for backup? I'm considering nothing other than equipped capacities. Truthfully, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by lpatrick, Nov 8, 2016.

1. lpatrick Win User

External Hard Drive Capacity?

Given my new PC has 2TB then should I have a 2TB external hard drive for backup? I'm considering nothing other than equipped capacities. Truthfully, I currently have no idea how much of that 2TB will be used. I just want to be on the safe side.

Thanks

:)

lpatrick, Nov 8, 2016

2. How can I restore an external hard drive backup to a new external hard drive?

Original Title: Terrill Shanks

How can I restore an external hard drive backup to a new external hard drive?

I have all my photos on an external hard drive. Every month I hook up the external hard drive before my automatic back up and the external hard drive becomes part of the weekly back up.

My Photo external hard drive is acting up and I need to install (copy) the last back up to a new external hard drive.

All the back up file folders are Zip files. My C:\ drive is backed up first then the H:\ drive which is my external hard drive. Zip file # 15 contains the last part of the C:\ Drive files and starts the H:\ drive back up.

Can I just copy the Zip file folders that contain the H:\ drive to the new external hard drive and unzip them? If not, can I use the computer restore program to copy the files I want to the new external hard drive?

Thanks for any information you can provide regarding this problem.

Terrill -- my e-mail address is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

TerrillShanks, Nov 8, 2016
  3. whn I insert my external hard drive and play a movie there is a message on screen from windows script host saying cannot find script file F:\.Trashes\872\lktfm.jse

how old is the "external hard drive" (flash drive)?

does the "external hard drive" belong to you or...?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Nov 8, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

Yeah, sure, more the merrier.
    There are few scenarios for backup.
    1 on 1, where you copy everything (or let some program do it for you) to backup disk.
    Use a backup program to do incremental backup of just some type of files.
    Use a backup program that has archiving to use less space (Macrium Reflect for instance).
    Manually copy files/folders to it.
    I may not be an average user but I have more space taken up by backups on various external disks than on disks mounted in the computer because I keep most important stuff on external disks all doubled up.

CountMike, Nov 8, 2016
Thema:

1. External Hard Drive Capacity? - Similar Threads - External Hard Drive

2. Hard Drive Not Showing Full Capacity

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Drive Not Showing Full Capacity: I recently redownloaded windows 11 from a USB onto my PC, but my storage is only showing 13 GBs. I have a 1 TB Hard Drive but it shows the maximum storage as only 13 GBs. All my drivers are updated and there doesn't seem to be any partitions that are hidden. Can anyone help?...
  3. Hard Drive Not Showing Full Capacity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive Not Showing Full Capacity: I recently redownloaded windows 11 from a USB onto my PC, but my storage is only showing 13 GBs. I have a 1 TB Hard Drive but it shows the maximum storage as only 13 GBs. All my drivers are updated and there doesn't seem to be any partitions that are hidden. Can anyone help?...
  4. Hard Drive Not Showing Full Capacity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Using an external hard drive to increase storage capacity of internal hard drive in windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using an external hard drive to increase storage capacity of internal hard drive in windows 10: Hello.I have been trying to extend a volume by using Disk Management in windows 10.But without success. I am not sure I'm doing the right thing.My internal disk is filling up so I connected an external hard drive to extend the capacity. Disk Management does not seem work....
  6. The hard drive Capacity is Wrong.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The hard drive Capacity is Wrong.: I upgraded from a 120GB SSD to a 250GB SSD. When I installed the system image it said I only have about 5GB left as if it was the 120GB hard drive. How do I partition this to show the right storage amount? submitted by /u/nwl5 [link] [comments]...
  7. External hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive: When I plug in my hard drive I get a message (F:\is not accessible.) Access is denied. Why, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/7469afee-e3f1-4499-9926-b55a995943bb
  8. external hard drives

external hard drives: Earlier this week windows did an update and since then it is failing to recognise some of my external hard drive, also windows keeps crashing and re-booting, everything was working fine until update...
  9. External hard drive has lost most of its capacity

External hard drive has lost most of its capacity: When I first installed my WD 2.0TB external hard drive 2 weeks ago on my Windows 10 HP Pavilion using my I Insignia docking station, it showed 1.81 TB of storage space. Now it shows only 34 GB. What did I do wrong? How can I get the full storage back?...
  10. External drive reporting wrong capacity

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    External drive reporting wrong capacity: Hi All, We use a 1tb Western Digital USB3 external drive for a system backup on a desktop PC under windows 10. After formatting it's showing 931gb capacity. The Windows Image Backup file is approx 560gb. Problem is the drive is now saying there is only 79gb space...