Windows 10: External Hard Drive causing BSOD on Desktop-not laptop

Discus and support External Hard Drive causing BSOD on Desktop-not laptop in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Very bizarre behavior. I have an old Mybook USB 2.0 for backup purposes like Resumes/Pictures. I am running the latest Windows build on both my laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by pittguy578, Aug 6, 2017.

1. External Hard Drive causing BSOD on Desktop-not laptop

Very bizarre behavior. I have an old Mybook USB 2.0 for backup purposes like Resumes/Pictures.
    I am running the latest Windows build on both my laptop and desktop.

I checked WD Utilties. Hard drive passed test.

When I am copying stuff from my desktop to the hard drive I am getting a BSOD IRQL error once it starts-not every single time.

I have it connected up to my laptop now and have gotten 0 crashes. Any ideas?

:)

pittguy578, Aug 6, 2017

2. Desktop hard drive as external USB drive.

I have a 320GB western digital desktop hard drive that was give to me by a friend, and I would like to use it as an external drive. I have a USB external drive enclosure, but it will not run a desktop drive, only the 2.5 laptop drives. what would I need
    to run a desktop drive for USB external drive?

YancyWillson, Aug 6, 2017
  3. BobInOhio Win User
    Problem accessing external hard drive over network

I have a problem that came up recently. I have a Toshiba 1.5 tb external hard drive. I have an Acer desktop and an Asus laptop, both running Windows 10. When I connect the external hard drive to my laptop, I can access files from it over my network (including
    my desktop. tablets and phone).

When I connect the external hard drive to my desktop, I cannot access the files from the hard drive over my network (including my laptop, tablets and phone). I used to be able to do this until about one month ago. I don't remember changing any network
    settings. When I have the external connected to my desktop, I can see it listed there when I view the files from my laptop, but I can't open any of the files.

I have the external hard drive set to share from the desktop, but again I can't access it from any other device on my network.

I've tried to contact Toshiba's support but they are worthless. I can't even enter my M/N or S?N on their tech support site.

Any ideas? Thanks

BobInOhio, Aug 6, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

External Hard Drive causing BSOD on Desktop-not laptop

USB 2.0 ports on the laptop and USB 3.0 port on the desktop? The plastic insert on a USB 2.0 port is black, and it is blue on a USB 3.0 port.

NavyLCDR, Aug 6, 2017
Thema:

External Hard Drive causing BSOD on Desktop-not laptop

1. External Hard Drive causing BSOD on Desktop-not laptop - Similar Threads - External Hard Drive

2. Desktop to connect to two external hard drives.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop to connect to two external hard drives.: Hi, I'm looking to have my desktop connected to two external drives in order to copy files from one external drive to the other external drive. Please help.Thanks.Joe...
  3. External hard drive causing windows problems

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    External hard drive causing windows problems: Hi, I need some help with my computer. It seems like my computer runs fine, restarts ok, and there are no problems, but every time I plug in my Seagate external hard drive, my computer refuses to shut down or restart, forcing me to press and hold the power button. My...
  4. External hard drive causing problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External hard drive causing problems: Hi, I am using 500GB Seagate Expansion external drive, with external power cable. When I connect the HD to my laptop, it shows in the file explorer that the external hd has local disk, but it has no info about the storage space left on it like the other drives in computer...
  5. External hard drive giving BSOD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hard drive giving BSOD: when i plug in my passport ultra 1 tb drive it is giving me the BSOD and when I plug it into another computer it is giving me the same thing. the error message is: 5/22/2020 11:13 AM Windows Error Reporting Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name:...
  6. Stuck on BSOD with external hard drive attached

Stuck on BSOD with external hard drive attached: I was processing raw image files from an external hard drive when my screen went completely black. After a few seconds, I got the BSOD for the first time ever. It has been sitting at 100% complete for about 20 minutes. The fan is making a lot of noise (it's usually silent)....
  7. BSOD while torrenting to external hard drive

BSOD while torrenting to external hard drive: Hello, title says it all. Basically I was torrenting a large file to an external hard drive. For many hours, it worked fine, and while I was using the laptop, it was just for listening to music. It was the only torrent I was downloading during the time and I wasnt seeding...
  8. External hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive: When I plug in my hard drive I get a message (F:\is not accessible.) Access is denied. Why, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/7469afee-e3f1-4499-9926-b55a995943bb
  9. Random BSOD caused by external hard drive or USB

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random BSOD caused by external hard drive or USB: Hi Folks, I have a newly built computer with windows 10 installed, AMD Fx 8350, Asrock 970 pro3 motherboard,650 watt GPU, 7970 HD videocard, everything is plugged in properly, all drivers up to date, AMD Chipset drivers installed as well. I am expierencing 2 issues at the...
  10. connecting external hard drives to laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    connecting external hard drives to laptop: is it possible to connect three external hard drives thru one usb socket and if it is, what connector do I need 50269