Windows 10: External Hard Drive Dissappears after restart Plz Help

Discus and support External Hard Drive Dissappears after restart Plz Help in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I hope someone could explain why this is happening ?? Basically i lost everything on my external HDD & the only way to get the drive working again... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kira2K, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Kira2K Win User

External Hard Drive Dissappears after restart Plz Help

I hope someone could explain why this is happening ??

Basically i lost everything on my external HDD & the only way to get the drive working again was to format it,
    That fixed the problem the drive was having (Unknown why data got lost) but if i disconnect the drive & reconnect i get message (the drive is inaccessible & corrupted) Something like that cant remember the wording exactly as its not happening right now, but i know the problem will come back & i will once again lose all my data, as its happened 5 times over 2 week period..

If i restart the PC, after startup its the only drive that's not visible either in (This PC), (Disk Management) or in (Device Manager) which leaves me with no option but to disconnect & reconnect the drive in order for it to be visible & Accessible, Now sometimes it works fine but once it becomes inaccessible it stays that way unless i format it Losing all data once again (HELP PLEASEEEE????) Its so frustrating & it cost me over £100 when i brought it from the store

Q: has anyone come across this kind of problem & how did you resolve it

In case I am asked for???
    Dont know how to use event view in case you want a detailed report will need step by step insructions Please

Relevent Information of Drive

3 Years old
    On 24/7 (As i never turn PC Off)
    Its a Iomega eGo 1Tb External HDD

I Used software Hard Disk Sentinel & it says the drive is Healthy & in good working Condition

:)

Kira2K, Sep 14, 2015
  2. kunalgada Win User

unable to install error nokia E63

plz help. Nokia e63.I was able to download n use apps for 2 days and phone restarted and the apps dissappeared. Now whn i try downloading them again eg ebuddy, apps frm ovi then after download, its says unable to install. It does for all software downloads.
    I tried soft n hard reset tried changing dates while downloading ,tried changing options on phone like software installation to ON and onlin ceertificat check to OFF but it doesnt help. Plz help

kunalgada, Sep 14, 2015
  3. bad pool header issues on windows 10 pro insider preview build 16278

whenever a particular external hard disk drive is plugged in, the installation/upgrade of windows 10 could not proceed with blue screen having saying "bad pool header, windows will be restart automatically..."

once that particular external hard disk drive is unplugged, the installation will proceed normally. however, after installation is done, whenever that external hard drive is plugged in again, windows crashed with the same error message and restarted.

funny thing is, that particular drive is working perfectly fine under build 16251.

scan also reveal no errors on that drive.

gundam_0083, Sep 14, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

One possibility is If the cable is loose or does not make good contact. Try another USB cable.
    FYI, external HD in an enclosure is not really designed to run constantly 24/7. There's not enough air flow and the HD gets really hot hence shorten the life of the HD.

In addition, try another disk utility such as: CrystalDiskInfo6_3_2.zip to see if it reports the same thing as HD Sentinel

topgundcp, Sep 14, 2015
  5. essenbe Win User
    essenbe, Sep 14, 2015
  6. Word Man Win User
    More specifics on drive? Bus powered portable or independently powered desktop version? Connecting via USB or Firewire?

Word Man, Sep 14, 2015
  7. Kira2K Win User
    I forgot to mention I already did try another cable still the same problem, & another sign that there is a problem is when i try to Transfer files the speed barely gets to 1mbps??

Right now Everything is working brilliantly the transfer speed are good & if i use the safely remove hardware Button before disconnecting the drive looks to be fixed but if i restart PC the drive is gone, nowhere to be seen on the desktop unless i disconnect & reconnect (that runs the risk of the disk becoming inaccessible like the last 5 times it happened)
    Any suggestions appreciated thanks all..

Kira2K, Sep 14, 2015
  8. Kira2K Win User

Dont fully understand your Question! the external drive uses a USB cable (Its v3.0 i get 40MBPS)

Kira2K, Sep 14, 2015
  9. Kira2K Win User
    Im trying it now thanks, Will let you know the results?

Kira2K, Sep 14, 2015
  10. Word Man Win User
    When I google "Iomega eGo 1Tb External HDD", I find different models - portable and desktop, USB only and USB/Firewire both. I was trying to get model nailed down. So, USB. Is it powered through the USB port or a separate wire from an AC adapter?

Word Man, Sep 14, 2015
  11. Kira2K Win User
    Its power throught the USB There is no AC Adapter
    This is whats written on the back

1TB External Drive
    Iomega eGo Model Number 31924200
    RPHD-UG3
    Assembled in China
    S/N GYAB320723

Ow & CrystalDiskInfo Says the drive is Good, Healthy
    & SeaTools for DOS and Windows gets stuck with scanning message dont know if its compatable with windows 10 pro..
    Had to restart PC to make the message go way, ill try again if it is compatable pls let me know? essenbe

i think this is the Drive except mine is grey color, I think it comes in different colors Cant remember i brought mine from comet store
    this is my HDD:-
    Iomega eGo III 1TB Portable Compact USB 3.0 External Hard Drive with Belt - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers Accessories

Kira2K, Sep 14, 2015
  12. Word Man Win User
    Word Man, Sep 15, 2015
  13. topgundcp Win User

Yes, Since the HD is drawing 5V DC from the USB Port but some laptop USB ports do not provide enough power therefore the Y-Cable is used with the HD to get more power from 2 USB Ports.

topgundcp, Sep 15, 2015
  14. badrobot Win User
    It was mentioned and I agree. Having it running 24/7 for 3 years, it had already reached the end of it's lifespan. I had the same thing happened to me but no regrets since it's just a spare drive that I enclosed in 3rd party enclosure. It goes on and off after about 2 years but I didn't wait till it died. I bought a new one and transferred all my files. The new one has a sleep function. It doesn't spin 24/7. Only when in use. It's time to let your hd go.

badrobot, Sep 15, 2015
  15. Kira2K Win User
    Sorry for not answering your Question sooner as there was a death in the family

To answer your question yes i have tried all ports front & back, Same problems
    I once again lost all the data on my drive But this time i backed it all up prior to formatting & adding data to the drive...
    after that it happened again but this time windows 10 gave me the option to fix the drive In a popup message, so i said yes
    after finding & fixing problem windows asked if i want to review the data,
    through Event Viewer the data was shown..
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________
    here is the data

Chkdsk was executed in read/write mode.

Checking file system on L:

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

2816 file records processed.

File verification completed.

1 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...

3540 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Repairing the security file record segment.
    Cleaning up 7 unused index entries from index $SII of file 9.
    Cleaning up 7 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 9.
    Cleaning up 7 unused security descriptors.
    Security descriptor verification completed.

363 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    Usn Journal verification completed.
    CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.
    No further action is required.

976749567 KB total disk space.
    124154816 KB in 2344 files.
    760 KB in 364 indexes.
    98575 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    852495416 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    244187391 total allocation units on disk.
    213123854 allocation units available on disk.

Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Chkdsk" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">26214</EventID>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-09-23T05:13:56.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>8250</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-9K06TAL</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>

Checking file system on L:

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

2816 file records processed.

File verification completed.

1 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...

3540 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Repairing the security file record segment.
    Cleaning up 7 unused index entries from index $SII of file 9.
    Cleaning up 7 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 9.
    Cleaning up 7 unused security descriptors.
    Security descriptor verification completed.

363 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    Usn Journal verification completed.
    CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.
    No further action is required.

976749567 KB total disk space.
    124154816 KB in 2344 files.
    760 KB in 364 indexes.
    98575 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    852495416 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    244187391 total allocation units on disk.
    213123854 allocation units available on disk.
    </Data>
    <Binary>000B0000A00A00009C0A0000000000006B010000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

So windows did fix the drive & i would love to know how, Please explain what this data means As i dont understand it

Questions I need Anwsered Please Are:-

1) what was the problem windows found & Fixed

2) If in future the drive does becomes unresponsive again & windows doesn't give option to fix how can i fix the drive using CMD & through Chkdsk

basically how would i write it in cmd my drive letter is (L) for the External hard drive

Kira2K, Sep 22, 2015
Thema:

1. External Hard Drive Dissappears after restart Plz Help - Similar Threads - External Hard Drive

2. Two Internal Hard Drives completely dissappeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two Internal Hard Drives completely dissappeared: Two of my internal drives COMPLETELY dissappeared from my new laptop. They were there one day, and then they just weren't! They didn't have anything in them as I just got it two days ago as a hand-me-down from a friend. Evem after I factory reset the whole laptop, they're...
  3. Two Internal Hard Drives completely dissappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two Internal Hard Drives completely dissappeared: Two of my internal drives COMPLETELY dissappeared from my new laptop. They were there one day, and then they just weren't! They didn't have anything in them as I just got it two days ago as a hand-me-down from a friend. Evem after I factory reset the whole laptop, they're...
  4. Two Internal Hard Drives completely dissappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Reinstall after hack help plz plz

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstall after hack help plz plz: A hacker got into my laptop as system admin yesterday. When I got up today it started downloading a program as soon as I turned it on and crashed. Message said I needed media from a disk to reboot windows. Got the media from Lenovo and it crashed while it was reinstalling.. I...
  6. Will plugging in a external hard drive help internal hard drive problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will plugging in a external hard drive help internal hard drive problems: I've been having problems with my disk being 100% randomly and i've tried all the fixes from changing virtual memory, stopping services like sysmain and windows search and installing new drivers none of them have fixed the problem so im thinking about changing hard drive i...
  7. HELP! External Hard Drive Format

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HELP! External Hard Drive Format: Good day everyone. I'm having difficulties with formatting my external hard drive. For the past 2-3 days, I've been trying to format it. It started acting up after sending 2 files of about 5gb each, I transferred these files at night, then the following day, it doesn't show...
  8. HELP! External Hard Drive Format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HELP! External Hard Drive Format: Good day everyone. I'm having difficulties with formatting my external hard drive. For the past 2-3 days, I've been trying to format it. It started acting up after sending 2 files of about 5gb each, I transferred these files at night, then the following day, it doesn't show...
  9. Help with external hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with external hard drive: So my PC was running out of storage, so i got an external hard-drive. The problem is, now, I want to play a game stored to it, but it's an old model, and takes up a lot of space. How can I quickly move windows store games from my hard drive to my PC and vice versa. Thank you!...
  10. Hard Drive Space Completely Dissappeared

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard Drive Space Completely Dissappeared: i was busy working on a photoshop project for school, for a few hours, when thing started getting sluggish. I figured it was just photoshop and i'll take a break in a bit anyway, another hour or so went by and it was getting worse so i figured i should save and restart...