Windows 10: External hard drive . I need advice

Discus and support External hard drive . I need advice in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I just bought an external hard drive and it has their software . So my question is should I use their software or use what I already have on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by vicf1, Feb 6, 2018.

1. vicf1 Win User

External hard drive . I need advice

I just bought an external hard drive and it has their software . So my question is should I use their software or use what I already have on my computer .
    what happens if I clean that drive of all software or do I have to learn all that stuff from the drive manufacture?
    and what last question which program is best for backups and image O S ?
    thank you for all answers

:)

vicf1, Feb 6, 2018

2. saving and viewing files on an external hard drive

I recently just got a new laptop that has windows 10 and I have an external hard drive from when I had a mac. I need this external hard drive for my college classes and I cannot access any of the files or save any new files to it. I do not need the old
    files btw. I also cannot format the hard drive from my computer, I may be able to but I cannot find the option to. Any advice would help, thank you.

StraightEdgeSam, Feb 6, 2018
  3. TommieMak Win User
    DVD-CD Player

Dear Niranjan,

I have un-install the Seagate external hard drive and then re-install again. The drive does not show on device manager anymore.

This external hard drive must be too old to work with window 10. I will check with Seagate.

Thanks for your advice,

Tommie Mak

TommieMak, Feb 6, 2018
  4. Plankton Win User

All great questions: We need more information on the external HDD....like the brand/make/model number. Or a link to the actual drive itself. Also what is the drive going to be used for.

Plankton, Feb 6, 2018
  5. sml156 Win User
    I have 2 external drives 1 is a western digital 1 gig and the other is a 4 gig Seagate, The software on both of them did not interest me so I got rid of it.

sml156, Feb 6, 2018
  6. vicf1 Win User
    sorry about that I was reluctant to name the brand .
    It's a western digital My passeport Ultra 2 Tb
    I plan to use it to store pics and family videos and backup and image my 2 laptop windows 10 systems 1 a Toshiba 32 and a more recent Dell 64 system

vicf1, Feb 7, 2018
  7. For what it's worth I have 2 WD 2TB Element models. Both are used bot "Backup" and storage. Deleted the software off both and haven't looked back. I did reformat one of them.

Wiley Coyote, Feb 7, 2018
  8. vicf1 Win User

So you can wipe out everything on the drive without any issues?

vicf1, Feb 7, 2018
  9. I've done it twice and NO issues.

Wiley Coyote, Feb 7, 2018
  10. vicf1 Win User
    thank you that's what I want to know .
    I don't like to use different software to do the same job it takes space . that's my point

vicf1, Feb 7, 2018
  11. Steve C Win User
    Many people on the forum like me use the excellent program Macrium Reflect Free. There is also a paid for version if you need more features.

Steve C, Feb 7, 2018
  12. vicf1 Win User
    thank you all
    I'll do that

vicf1, Feb 7, 2018
  13. External hard drive . I need advice

Hi,
    As far as macrium reflect all one needs is the recovery cd/ flash media or winpe recovery media to be able to create or restore a system image
    I've been using it primarily to create and recover system images for nearly a year
    Best to get familiar with the recovery process you will eventually have to use it *Biggrin
    Create Backup Image with Macrium Reflect by Britec - YouTube

One quirk with creating a system image in the recovery environment is one needs to create a folder on the hdd you want the image to be on first.

ThrashZone, Feb 7, 2018
  14. juzzie Win User
    I have been inspired by this forum to get serious about my backup and now have macrium backups on my internal hdd inside my computer. I had tried many times with paragon software which was just too confusing for me. It wasn't cheap software either!

The macrium backup tutorial here made it a piece of cake.

One query, if you utilize an external drive for extra backup purposes only, to store remote from primary location....

Do you just copy and paste the image files to the usb3 external drive or should you use the macrium software to produce the images to the usb3 external drive every time?

I guess there is no verification process with basic cut and paste...

I would like to do macrium incrementals daily and about once a fortnight bring the external harddrive home, copy all the macrium images and then take back to store at work...

juzzie, Feb 21, 2018
  15. Along with a legitimate "backup" I also run a two-step Batch File with XCopy and the /v/s/m/y switches set to copy my data files that have the Archive bit set to my Ext HDD on the first step. The /m switch turns off the Archive bit for these files.

Step two then copies those same files from the Ext HDD to a Flash/Stick using the same switches.

Having "native" file copies allows me to take these files to any other machine without having to have backup software installed on that machine and needing to do a restore to access them. Admittedly this may sound like overkill, but I've learned by experience over the years that "things DO go bump in the night".

Maybe I ought to have a tag line:

I am NOT paranoid.
    Why are you people all against me?

Wiley Coyote, Feb 21, 2018
Thema:

1. External hard drive . I need advice - Similar Threads - External hard drive

2. I need to move data on 2 external hard drives back and forth between external hard drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I need to move data on 2 external hard drives back and forth between external hard drives: I need to move data from one external hard drive to another external hard drive on windows 10 computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-to-move-data-on-2-external-hard-drives-back/9bad5cc4-c5d9-4658-bbff-a0b4192ef78f
  3. WD External Failing need advice

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WD External Failing need advice: I have a WD Passport 2TB External Drive. It is a year old and always worked well However in the past few days it has struggled. Sometimes works but sometimes not. It is still under guarantee so know I can return it. Luckily I have always backed up my files Always bought WD...
  4. WD External Failing need advice

in Windows 10 Support
    WD External Failing need advice: I have a WD Passport 2TB External Drive. It is a year old and always worked well However in the past few days it has struggled. Sometimes works but sometimes not. It is still under guarantee so know I can return it. Luckily I have always backed up my files Always bought WD...
  5. Advice on recuva and selling hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Advice on recuva and selling hard drive: I have just sold a laptop for a good price and had intended to replace the hard drive with a new one before sale. However I can't get the hard drive cover off as there are a couple of deeply embedded screws with broken threads, so decided to leave the drive in and wipe it a...
  6. advice on a sick external drive

advice on a sick external drive: I have an older external hard drive that around 100 video files that I am unable to transfer to my other drives. I know its slowly dying and I want to save the files if I can. When I try to copy or move the files to another drive everything is find until somewhere around...
  7. Advice re: new hard drive

Advice re: new hard drive: I bought a new Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB drive a few weeks ago in an attempt to fix a problem PC. I may have to scrap the machine (as still cant be fixed) and i wanted to ask are these viable options for my new £765 drive. 1. buy a machine with an HHD and add my SSD drive as a...
  8. Advice re: new hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Advice re: new hard drive: I bought a new Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB drive a few weeks ago in an attempt to fix a problem PC. I may have to scrap the machine (as still cant be fixed) and i wanted to ask are these viable options for my new £765 drive. 1. buy a machine with an HHD and add my SSD drive as a...
  9. External hard drive

External hard drive: When I plug in my hard drive I get a message (F:\is not accessible.) Access is denied. Why, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/7469afee-e3f1-4499-9926-b55a995943bb
  10. external hard drives

external hard drives: Earlier this week windows did an update and since then it is failing to recognise some of my external hard drive, also windows keeps crashing and re-booting, everything was working fine until update...